Other hobbies and interests?

Chris Keth

• Premium Member
OK, THAT one you GOTTA explain! :blink:

Ok. Here is Austria rural fire fighters are volunteers. These fire fighter unit are usually an integral part of social life in the country side. And they regularly hold parties (usually in tents) where lots of beer is sold. And most of them drink quite a bit of that nice yellow fluid (read: a whole LOT).

cheers, Dave

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Great idea!

My primary loves lie in surfing which I've done since I was 7 (now 33), although rarely these days due to work and also the journey to the waves from London is a long'un(bit of cockney for you).

Playing football(aka soccer) figures massively in my life when I'm not working. My club is the mighty Chelsea FC.

I love eating good food...I'm not overweight but I am half portuguese and our culture embraces good food!

Rarely do I find a book that really grips me. I know there are some great writers out there but if the story doesn't get me in the first 20 pages then I lose interest.

I'm not a great drawer but a great admirer of Art. Caravaggio, Dali and my missus are my favorite artists. Last Sept saw a great Dali exhibition at the Tate.

It covered his journey which of course included his take on our beloved passion.......ooops nearly said it!

I think that kinda covers it for me.

Cheers

S

Edited by Serge Teulon

Well, I enjoy reading abut cars and commercial airliners. Anything to do with history or the paranormal. I love to scour maps for stranges and interesting places, I also have a crappy £20 remote controlled Citroen C4, which I love racing around the house, it's surprisingly thrashy if you use Duracell Ultra M3.

• 3 weeks later...

David Mullen:

am now reading a biography of Isaac Newton on my spare time. Last bio I read was the one by Walter Issakson about Einstein, and the one before that was on Charlemaine.

David you pick some giants of people to study!

David Auner:

currently it's Hofstaedters Goedel, Escher, Bach.

An extraordinary, fascinating book. Combines philosophy, religion, mathematics, music, art to find the ultimate pattern of the universe. Suggests the mathematician, the artist and the composer were all actually on the same page.

For me I'm currently fascinated by the Romantic movement in the nineteenth century: the poets (Byron, Keats Shelley), the philosophers (Schopenhauer, Nietzsche), the artists (Caspar David Friedrich) and most of all the composers, from Berlioz through Wagner to Mahler. Probably the exact opposite of the rationalism of Goedel Escher Bach.

So I guess my hobby is sitting about and thinking! Other stuff as well, but that's for another day.

• Premium Member

I've gotten interested in the other end of the business: Projection. I've got a portable 35mm Simplex SP that's stereo converted (by me), Dolby SR sound system, and I'm working on putting together a Dolby Digital playback system. I've bought some classic kid friendly prints (Aristocats, 101 Dalmations, etc), a couple of Woody Allen flicks, and have a few recent movies ( I had "The Simpson's Movie" two months before the DVD came out). The kiddy flicks will be shown at a planned neighborhood "walk-in" film festival in the early summer. Several of the moms in my neighborhood throw a ice cream party for the kids then, we're planning on setting up my SP out in my shop's driveway and showing a flick or two. Anyone know where there's an ophaned print of "Enchanted"?

It seems that whenever I get a mania it ends up making a few bucks for me: I'm helping an art house here in OKC figure out a real stinker of a problem with their Dolby Digital.

Hi Hal,

Sort of off topic but can I ask roughly how much do you pay for a 35mm print and where do you get them? Ebay? Forget DLP it sounds like you're really building a home "cinema". Is there a lot of older prints out there? Which woody Allen's?

• Premium Member

> Several of the moms in my neighborhood throw a ice cream party for the kids then,

> we're planning on setting up my SP out in my shop's driveway and showing a flick or two.

Lovely idea, but the attitudes here are such that if you did that you'd probably be dragged off to jail on suspicion of being a paedophile. Would that I lived in a place where children and adults were actually allowed to interact.

P

• Premium Member
Hi Hal,

Sort of off topic but can I ask roughly how much do you pay for a 35mm print and where do you get them? Ebay? Forget DLP it sounds like you're really building a home "cinema". Is there a lot of older prints out there? Which woody Allen's?

I've bought print for between $50 and $600, most average around $100-150 for the prints I buy. Highly collectible prints like "The Wizard of Oz" can go for well over $1000 if they're pristine. There's a lot of issues with older prints, most Eastman color print film from the 60's and 70's has all gone to magenta and IB Technicolor prints get what's call Vinegar Syndrome where the acetate plastic base starts to convert itself to acetic acid, AKA vinegar. That drives the price way up on the prints that were kept in perfect conditions and therefore are still good.

Some have come from eBay, some from collectors on 35mmforum.com, a couple have come directly from person-to-person contacts.

The current jewel of the my collection is "Galaxy Quest".

I have "Sweet and Lowdown" and "Love and Death" from Woody, I've seen "Manhattan", "Hannah and Her Sisters", and "Manhattan Murder Mystery" for sale recently. One I'd like to have is "Bullets Over Broadway".

This is not a hobby for the cash strapped but at least significant 35mm prints keep their value like any good collectible.

• Premium Member
> Several of the moms in my neighborhood throw a ice cream party for the kids then,

> we're planning on setting up my SP out in my shop's driveway and showing a flick or two.

Lovely idea, but the attitudes here are such that if you did that you'd probably be dragged off to jail on suspicion of being a paedophile. Would that I lived in a place where children and adults were actually allowed to interact.

P

The key word was "moms", if they're around - and you no have interest in their kids other than just watching their excitement - then all is cool. A couple of the moms are pretty hot but with a 100%

Hungarian wife (born here but all 4 grandparents came off the boat) one's behaviour has to be somewhat restrained. If you screw up around Hungarian families they don't send Vinnie and the Boys to whack you (like Italians) they send Dracula and his Bats fluttering your way.

I've bought print for between $50 and $600, most average around $100-150 for the prints I buy. Highly collectible prints like "The Wizard of Oz" can go for well over $1000 if they're pristine. There's a lot of issues with older prints, most Eastman color print film from the 60's and 70's has all gone to magenta and IB Technicolor prints get what's call Vinegar Syndrome where the acetate plastic base starts to convert itself to acetic acid, AKA vinegar. That drives the price way up on the prints that were kept in perfect conditions and therefore are still good.

Some have come from eBay, some from collectors on 35mmforum.com, a couple have come directly from person-to-person contacts.

The current jewel of the my collection is "Galaxy Quest".

I have "Sweet and Lowdown" and "Love and Death" from Woody, I've seen "Manhattan", "Hannah and Her Sisters", and "Manhattan Murder Mystery" for sale recently. One I'd like to have is "Bullets Over Broadway".

This is not a hobby for the cash strapped but at least significant 35mm prints keep their value like any good collectible.

Love and Death!!! Dude, I LOVE that movie!!! :lol: "You are the greatest lover I have ever known!" " I practice a lot when I'm alone." " You the worst soldier I ever saw!"

• Premium Member

I'm a little late to the party, because of my latest interest -- I just bought a house. Doing much of the general basic "fixer" work myself, and enjoying reading and learning about the stuff I don't yet know how to do. I've dabbled in furniture and plan on making some stuff for my new place, but honestly it requires a lot of special tools to do it right...

I'm a huge fan of mid-century modern architecture and design, and much of my leisure reading lately has been about my favorite architects and (Neutra, Schindler, Lautner, A. Quincy Jones, et. al.) and related artists (the designs of the Eames', the photography of Julius Shulman -- whom I've met). I enjoy touring architecturally significant houses on weekends, either through realtor's opens or special tours. Visiting a Neutra house in real life vs. reading about/looking at pictures is kind of like the difference between actually watching a Kubrick film vs. simply reading about/looking at pictures in a book. You have to experience it, not just look at it from the outside. The more you study other artists, craftsmen, and art forms in general the more you see how they're really all the same. Architecture, design, music, photography; they all come from the same place and use the same fundamantal principles.

Speaking of music, like many of you I've dabbled in music most of my life. I play a little bit of keyboards, bass, and guitar, and put stuff together in Garage Band (in the downtempo/electronica vein). I got over the band/rock star dream a long time ago, and now I'm content to do music simply because I like it...

Couldn't care less about any "ball" sports. Couldn't. Care. Less. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy sports; I like mountain biking quite a bit (although I haven't hit the trail in an embarrassingly long time), hiking, and once in a great while snowboarding.

• 2 weeks later...
My primary loves lie in surfing which I've done since I was 7 (now 33), although rarely these days due to work and also the journey to the waves from London is a long'un(bit of cockney for you).

Dude....you SURF in ENGLAND!!!???? :blink: ......Where?

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I enjoy recreational substances and women of questionable virtue.

I prefer recreational women.

I'll meet you half way and say "Women of substance" :P

I'll meet 3/4s of the way recreational women of questionable substance and virtue......with great racks!!! :rolleyes:

The Cinematography.com forum proudly welcomes all female members to an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding.

R,

Devon and Cornwall....in the right conditions can be AMAZING!

That area of the UK gets the remnants of the gulf stream and believe or not it is actually milder than you would expect.

As for Gatorade in the bath.....hmmmm....a bit of a sticky mess eh? :P

S