lighting kit for students

I was wondering if there are any good starting lighting kit for students. My film school has many different kits (DP, Omni/Pepper, Fren-L) available for free rental but their rules for checking out equipment are very strict. I feel that having my own kit would make shooting a lot easier for myself and my crew. Are there any good brands recommended for students out there for cheap?

I think the standard student kits are usually filled with lowell and LTMs. They are usually cheap and effective, though still somewhat limited. if I were you I would find out what the school has and buy something complimentary. That way if you find you need a few frezzys and the school has a good assortment of that, maybe you can buy some openface that work well to bounce or softbox.

I hate to recomend these lights because they are flimsy and plastic construction, but look into britek lights. Like I said, they aren't very high quality, but if they are treated well they will last you through school and above all they are cheap. Only work with the softbox briteks. When the box is off and its used open faced, they are nearly worthless, their spread is too uneven. I think you can get a full softbox kit with 2 or 3 lights, stands, bulbs and softboxes for around $600-800.

• Premium Member

Also check out the used sections on BH and ebay once in awhile. Build your own kit piece by piece if you have to and invest in some higher wattage practicle bulbs form home depot.

I got 2 Mole 2Ks solar spots off of Ebay for $150 each, with bulbs and doors! that's just unheard of!

Grab a few omnis, a few 1Ks, and you'll be ok in the end. The lowel stuff is pretty "limiting," but it does well enough in a pinch.

Also, i'd say get some gels and some grip stuff. Get some diffusion, I like 216, some 1/2 CTO and CTB. Get a C stand, and ya know, maybe some Cartillini clamps and the like.