HOW much of "Jumper" was shot of RED?!

Luke Haywood

I've just noticed that on the www.red.com website they've now included "Jumper" in their "Shot on RED" section.

From what I've heard, only a few seconds of RED-derived footage actually appear on the screen, apparently some surf-based action, which sounds suspiciousy like a "crash-cam" scenario!

Can anybody clarify this?

Only some of Jumper was shot on RED... but then again, RED was only a prototype when Jumper was filmed.

You can find reasons to use RED or to discredit it. But you will have a hard time going forward denying that RED is being used more and more on feature films. "The Informant", a Steven Sodergergh film starring Matt Damon, will be shot "all RED". As was "Game". RED is being used on "G.I. Joe" and exclusively on a Dean Devlin made for TV movie. The list is growing rapidly.

Jim

Only some of Jumper was shot on RED... but then again, RED was only a prototype when Jumper was filmed.

You can find reasons to use RED or to discredit it. But you will have a hard time going forward denying that RED is being used more and more on feature films. "The Informant", a Steven Sodergergh film starring Matt Damon, will be shot "all RED". As was "Game". RED is being used on "G.I. Joe" and exclusively on a Dean Devlin made for TV movie. The list is growing rapidly.

Jim

Take it easy Jim. Before I credit OR discredit the RED, I'd kinda like an opportunity to actually SEE some of its work.

I'm confused.

I plan to see "Wanted" when it comes out. I had assumed that was all-RED.

But now you're saying: "The Informant", a Steven Sodergergh film starring Matt Damon, **will** be shot "all RED".

So, can I take that to mean that "Wanted" another Steven Sodebergh film, starring Angelina Jolie, is NOT shot all-RED?

Look, plenty of other movies have been shot with digital cameras and they came out on the big screen reasonably OK, so I'm not expecting the RED to be a big disaster, but I don't want to wind up saying WOW! That's easily as good as film, and then find out that that's because it IS film!

So, can I take that to mean that "Wanted" another Steven Sodebergh film, starring Angelina Jolie, is NOT shot all-RED?

Erk. My bad, it's actually a Timur Bekmambetov film. :rolleyes: Well same difference.

I'm not really a fan of either dude, so the RED's performance is the only thing that interests me.

My understanding is that red was used on Wanted only for some VFX work. I'd expect it to be the same on Jumper. Maybe they're compositing 35 and RED in the same frame, I dunno.

I'm actually waiting on pins and needles, as it were, to see Soderbergh's work. I'm hoping we start to see many more small, personal films with this camera, I think that's what cinema really needs.

• 2 weeks later...
Jumper used the RED for 2nd Unit and VFX shots. Same with Wanted.

Luke, I didn't get the impression Jim was doing anything other responding. He has no need to "calm down".

Putting quotes around a phrase (eg "calm down") normally implies that you are quoting the other persons exact words. So, where did I use that phrase?

I actually said "take it easy". Not an unwarranted response, since all I was asking was, what parts of Wanted were shot with the Red. I don't know how Jannard got from there to the subject of "discrediting" the thing. If you can't ask a simple question without getting accused of being "disrespectful", it just makes him sound evasive.

Putting quotes around a phrase (eg "calm down") normally implies that you are quoting the other persons exact words. So, where did I use that phrase?

I actually said "take it easy". Not an unwarranted response, since all I was asking was, what parts of Wanted were shot with the Red. I don't know how Jannard got from there to the subject of "discrediting" the thing. If you can't ask a simple question without getting accused of being "disrespectful", it just makes him sound evasive.

I keep reading topics about the Red camera in here and for some reason it seems to be breed quite a bit of hostility and/or misunderstanding.

• 3 months later...
I've just noticed that on the www.red.com website they've now included "Jumper" in their "Shot on RED" section.

From what I've heard, only a few seconds of RED-derived footage actually appear on the screen, apparently some surf-based action, which sounds suspiciousy like a "crash-cam" scenario!

Can anybody clarify this?

I never got round to seeing "Jumper" on the big screen, which is just as well.

I finally saw it on DVD yesterday, and there's another 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

What a stupid f*cking movie!

OK it had some nice helicopter shots of various scenic wonders around the world, but that was all it had going for it.

Basically it starts with this kid who falls through the ice on a frozen-over creek and gets carried off by the current.

Just before he drowns he suddenly finds himself in the middle of the Ann Arbor Public Library, soaking wet, and having brought half the creek with him.

He decided to leave town for no adequately explained reason, and discovers he can teleport himself more less at will to just about anywhere, including the inside of locked bank vaults and so on.

But it turns out there are lots more people like him, constantly being hunted by some ultra-secret wacko religious cult known as the Paladins, and the battle has been going on for thousands of years.

The Paladins now have an array of high-tech gizmos something like Tazers that can temporarily suspend a jumper's powers long enough to kill them, (So what did they use before?).

The jumpers don't just teleport themselves, they can bring cars, buses, half an apartment building etc and throw them at the Paladins.

But nearly of the clashes would have ended far more quickly and in the jumpers' favour if they had simply bothered to take a GUN with them. Or even a f*cking knife for christ's sake, but no, apparently that never occurs to any of them!

(OK if the writers could come with some plausible explanation why that wasn't possible, well OK, but they don't).

Our hero eventually gets the better of the head honcho Paladin, although there is no explanation as to what he could do that none of the others could.

And despite the man's murdering his father and a large number of other innocent people, does our hero do the sensible thing and drop him into an active volcano or the middle of the Pacific Ocean? No, he leaves him on top of a big rock in the middle of the desert, presumably so he can starve to death, but also setting him up for a sequel, which tragically, is already in pre-production.

And as for the bit at the end with his mother, I felt like throwing the remote at the TV.

What really pisses me off most about this dreck, is that with better writers they could have made a really good movie for the same money, because the cinematography (when they weren't into NYPD Blue-cam mode) and special effects were excellent.

Just as well not much Red footage was used on this film, it would have been a major embarrassment to them:-)

I haven't seen such a load of steaming poop since "Signs".

Edited by Luke Haywood