pro steadicam instruction

rbkeith

If I were interested in learning how to be a steadicam operator, where would I be able to actually go to school or get pro instruction that would lead to actually learning how to use a top of the line steadicam?

Be a camera operator for a couple of years first and by then you'll know where to go.

Thank you. This gives me a point from which to begin.

Then the next question would logically be: where is a good school/workshop to learn to be a camera operator?

Your best source of info for this question is going to be at http://www.steadicamforum.com. Workshops are available around the country from time to time that teach you how to setup and use the equipment.

Knowing how to use it is only part of the process to working as a Steadicam Operator. Just like anyone else in the business, you'll have to network so that people know who you are and what you can do. And of course taking a class doesn't make anyone qualified. It takes time to learn the intricacies involved in camera operating in general (mechanics, art, politics) and even more so when specializing in Steadicam. Becoming a good owner/operator of a Steadicam can be a "fast track" way past Assisting, but it is also a very expensive investment that you may or may not be able to pay off quickly.

Good luck!