Global recession or just a glitch?

Serge Teulon

----------------------------------------------------------------

Cheer up Freya Try to think of a name for your car like Trevor? Wash it once a week and keep th tyres at the proper pressure Its surprising how much petrol this alone can cost you! Try to buy a car that has a colour you like and one where you can reach the pedals?

------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a car, or a bicycle. I travel on foot or bus.

It was a bit horrible being run over by a bicycle, especially as it wasn't an accident, but it was nothing like the impact that the car had.

--------------------------------------------------

You were run over by a car to?

------------------------------------------------

Yes, very badly.

...remember. Hardly any in cars though. A couple of people have gone into the back of me. Thank goodness I was in a car and not a bike. One accident my car was almost ready for the scrapheap and I got a new one on the insurance Hurrah.

---------------------------------------------------

As I said before, cars and pedal powered veichles are not a good mix.

They should be seperate as trains are.

love

Freya

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Of course, Carlin is right -- in the really big picture, this planet, short of some giant cosmic disaster (like this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080310/sc_...ouldstrikeearth ) will survive people -- we just might make it a less pleasant place to raise our kids if we're not careful... But even higher sea levels, shrinking ice caps, massive global storms, etc. -- it's not like the planet hasn't been through that before. Certainly Canadians aren't going to complain about warmer weather...

Perhaps Richard will get one if his car sail doesnt work out?

I have mounted the sail on the VW Touareg, it goes great down the big hill!! Especially with the spinnaker up. Going up hills is an issue though....stay tuned.

Certainly Canadians aren't going to complain about warmer weather...

Damn right about that!! I hate the winter!

R,

One of the big things that people forget here is that Global warming may be academic in that we are running out of oil. It's a non-renewable energy source and as soon as it becomes scarce, it's be like anything else, only the select few will be able to afford it, the rest of us poor slobs will be left high and dry. Things will by necessity HAVE to change in the next 10 to 15 years because there simply won't be enough crude to go around so alternative fuels are inevitable.

Getting back to the Cinematography end of things, if you haven't already seen it, there's a great doc on the EV-1, GM's electric car that were built in limited quantities then leased to people for testing purposes and the subsequent battle by the lessees to retain these terrific cars that were all ultimately scraped by GM at I believe less that 2 years old. If you don't believe there is a conspiracy by automakers and oil companies to keep the internal combustion engine as the primary source of transportation in the US, I'd recommend seeing this film: Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006) ;)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I watched 3 1/2 minutes of it. What an idiot.

Arrogant to save species? Save the planet when its been here for 4 billion years. When people make a faulty connection through humour for comedy effect that is proof?

When people talk about saving the planet what they mean is saving the planet in a form that can support us. We couldnt destroy the planet if we wanted to. Using words out of context to make an illusionary cartoon is funny and is great for comedienes. Its the illusion thats funny and is not the truth. The truth is not funny. Our arrogance in tearing down rain forests destroying nature is not funny. Nature is balanced a food chain and symbiotic Trees and plants absorb CO2 We breathe it out this has worked for millions of years. The thing thats changed is Our constant pumping of greenhouse gases through technology and on a global massive scale and is not funny. Whats funny is how we cant see the big picture Sure localised places may have cleaner air and cars may not be so polluting anymore. But to believe a cleaner city will have a global benefit is stupid arrogance.

BUT AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT

Its the global total of greenhouse gases imperceptible to us we wouldnt smell it or know it but the atmosphere is changing Its not smog or smoke or factory chimneys choking everyone. Its a small change in the amount of gases building up over years that cause the greenhouse effect through a never ending daily cycle of pumping it out. We are arrogant for believing our tampering with nature means nothing. Our tampering with nature has already proven to damage the ozone layer.

Its gobsmackingly arrogant to ignore the science like if you ignore it it'll go away. IT WONT.

In the face of indisputable overwhelming evidence some are saying

Our city is not so polluted therefore global warming must be getting better

We are insignificant in the scale of things and couldnt have any effect

Its a conspiracy to ruin Americas economy

Its a myth

All part of Gods plan

We dont understand the forces of mother nature who will balance it all out

The truth is its happening and we can stop it if we all sit down and work out a plan Bt that wont happen while many sit there pontificating on why their theory is right in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Edited by Mark Williams

Sure, we need to all live more responsibly. Having said that, I think Global Warming is one of the biggest myths ever perpetrated on humanity. It's utter absurdity and alarmism is on par with other life changing events like Y2K.

Adamo,

I'm sorry to say but what you just said is total "absurdity".

We are obviously having a negative effect on our planet.

Its a good thing that "alarmism" is taking place, because without that "alarmism" we will still be travelling in highly polluting methods for the next 200 years. And that is something we just can't afford to do!

Unfortunately we need extreme actions to take notice of what is happening.

It is only in the last 20 years that we have become knowledgeable about the causes of cancer. But prior to that smoking was deemed as completely fine and safe.

The bill for smoke related cancer is so high that the taxes which the govt reaps in for tobacco doesn't make financial sense. Hence the smoking ban in the US and UK so far!

It also applies to pollution!

I would rather live knowing that I'm doing the best I can to help this planet, which gives us SO much!

Cheers

S

Edited by Serge Teulon

"In the face of indisputable overwhelming evidence some are saying"

Problem is that there is no such thing as, "indisputable overwhelming evidence," scientific theories get over turned and re-written all the time. Examples, the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, (all widely accepted at one time in our existence), the celecant is extinct, Bigfoot doesn't exist (I've seen him several times.)

Point is that science likes to be able to say at the time, "these are the facts," and also have the freedom to say at a later date, "we have found new info and are now altering those facts we gave you 10 years ago."

Here's an ABC-News article that talks about the global warming "myth."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=3061015&page=1

R,

The US economy in a shambles, and it's going to get worse. Much worse.

Bush and his war have spent us into oblivion, and the trouble is, none of the other candidates - Obama, Clinton or McCain - are talking about serious spending cuts and addressing our massive debt, which is something like 9 trillion dollars now.

We are doing precisely what bin Laden wanted us to do - spend ourselves to death.

That all depends on which numbers you choose to believe. Unfortunately, it appears to be much worse.

The numbers are truly devastating.

McCain wants to keep bankrupting us with wars, and Dems want to bankrupt us with more spending. Meanwhile, none of them are talking about how to pay down this debt. That's a very bad sign.

Problem is that there is no such thing as, "indisputable overwhelming evidence," scientific theories get over turned and re-written all the time. Examples, the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, (all widely accepted at one time in our existence), the celecant is extinct, Bigfoot doesn't exist (I've seen him several times.)

Point is that science likes to be able to say at the time, "these are the facts," and also have the freedom to say at a later date, "we have found new info and are now altering those facts we gave you 10 years ago."

---------------------------------------------------------

I had a friend who started smoking when he was 12. I told him you'll get cancer when your older He said By the time I'm older they'll have found a cure anyway so what you could get run over by a bus. He recently lost all his teeth caused by smoking. Your statement reminds me of that.

The point is no evidence is ever going to be or can be 100% conclusive we all live our lives usually fairly safely and the odds on global warming being correct are overwhelming.

Edited by Mark Williams

The numbers are truly devastating.

McCain wants to keep bankrupting us with wars, and Dems want to bankrupt us with more spending. Meanwhile, none of them are talking about how to pay down this debt. That's a very bad sign.

Well during Canada's weak dollar and deficit years, we had a joke, I will adapt it for American audiences:

The bad news is we owe 9 trillion dollars.

The good news is it's US dollars.

R,

---------------------------------------------------------

I had a friend who started smoking when he was 12. I told him you'll get cancer when your older He said By the time I'm older they'll have found a cure anyway so what you could get run over by a bus. He recently lost all his teeth caused by smoking. Your statement reminds me of that.

The point is no evidence is ever going to be conclusive we all live our lives usually fairly safely and the odds are on global warming being correct are overwhelming.

The smoking example is a good one. Up until the 1960s SCIENCE was not raising the alarm bell that it was harmful to ones health, even Fred Flintstone promoted cigarette sales on US TV in the 1960s. Then it started to change and science caught onto the idea that smoking is dangerous to ones health. This of course after people had been smoking for thousands of years in one form or another. You where able to inform your friend about the dangers of smoking because you live now and have the benefit of the science to back you up. If you lived in the 1890s you never would have told your friend that smoking was dangerous to his health. No one knew that in 1890. The doctors who thought nothing of smoking in 1890 have all been proven wrong.

It's the same for us all now. 100 years from today many things accepted as, "indisputable overwhelming evidence," will have been proven wrong and people will laugh at us for believing what we believe. Add another 100 years and people will laugh at the people 100 years before them.

I find it entirely logical to believe that 100 years from now people could look back at 2008 and say, "what a bunch of idiots for thinking that pollution was causing global warming, we know that the earth has been warming and cooling on its own for billions of years."

(this of course does not mean that we should dump waste into the water and air)

Actually we know right now that the earth has been warming and cooling on its own for billions of years, but it's not politically correct to say that until our celebrity obsessed culture has received the word from celebrities saying it is so.

R,

http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_evd.htm

I find it entirely logical to believe that 100 years from now people could look back at 2008 and say, "what a bunch of idiots for thinking that pollution was causing global warming, we know that the earth has been warming and cooling on its own for billions of years."

-----------------------------------------------------------

How does earths history tie in with global warming caused by us? And yet you managed it as part of an argument?

Once the planet didn't exist? We have an ice age every 10,000 years and we will again. We will be hit by an asteroid at some point. The sun will one day run out of energy and we will all die. That is a poor argument that appeals to those who dont care enough or have the intelligence to work beyond that whats in front of them. In fact to call it ignorance would be giving it far more credit than it deserves. Insanity?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(this of course does not mean that we should dump waste into the water and air)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Although it wouldnt matter if we did? As explained already the earth cools and heats and has done for Billions of years so no worries there.

------------------------------------------------------------

Actually we know right now that the earth has been warming and cooling on its own for billions of years, but it's not politically correct to say that until our celebrity obsessed culture has received the word from celebrities saying it is so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So celebrities have a use aftr all.

GLOBAL WARMING IS AN irrefutable undeniable proveable event happening right now caused by us and likely to cause our extinction.

Our extinction will happen one day. In the meantime maybe we will learn enough to control the weather? We could. Maybe one day we will monitor all asteroids and prevent any disasters. Maybe? But for now lets try and stay alive until we can figure out how to stop all this. I do not want to witness mass starvation or billions die. Illness, sickness and misery. And if a natural event causes it well we would undoubtably try to prevent it. But if we cause it and could have stopped it then how ignorantly stupid is that?

Edited by Mark Williams

Would like to get back to start of this post the economy ,not global warming . In the UK we are **(obscenity removed)**ed because we have our head up so far the US arse anything happens there happens here , total joke we should be like Germany , France , Denmark but alas we are owned by the US . :(

Would like to get back to start of this post the economy ,not global warming . In the UK we are fu**ed because we have our head up so far the US arse anything happens there happens here , total joke we should be like Germany , France , Denmark but alas we are owned by the US . :(

Actually John we're owned by the EU.

Our economy is based on Houses going up in value. The economy is a simple enough thing really We export and we import the balance should be equal. Our industries make stuff and we buy it.

Our currency is worth more than others so some countries are at an advantage they can make things cheaper and sell them cheaper. In the past we have had import duties to level the playing field but now we have open borders with the EU who take Billions from us and share it with other EU countries. NOW were told the EU and its open borders mean european prices should all be the same a privelage we pay billions for. Only it isnt everything in the UK is much more expensive. Many industries have gone to cheaper parts of the EU making people unemployed here.

This lack of exports is hidden by London being the financial wonder saviour. House prices and government borrowing who are robbing us to give to the EU. Our best bet for our economy would be to leave europe and save Billions. Trade with the rest of the world. Give the fishing industry back to OUR fishermen and help our farmers into profit. Invest in our Industries and promote our culture and people. Promote the tourist industry in Scotland and Wales and get our industries back into shape. All these cheap imports are not helping they need to have import duties slapped on them to level the field Also cheap goods from China who are making this stuff using non regulated coal power stations pumping out massive amounts of pollution.

Her in the UK our economy and our country is deliberatley being broken by our own Government ready for rule by our new EU masters who now have their constitution and most of our powers.

Not a lot we can do except let the media pile on the pressure except the state owned BBC of course who are the governments mouthpiece and we all know what happened to Greg Dyke courtesy of Tessa Jowell. Whose husband incidently got some nice grant money from the British Film Council but thats another story.

The best we can hope for is Labour gets thrown out before the next election.

Your talking rubbish the rest of Europe is doing much better than this country because they havent been seduced by the US . I want to be much more involved with the rest of Europe thought that might have happened when Blair was first elected ,but no his head and the Darth Vader Brown are so up Bushes arse we dont stand a chance , anyway have fun with UKIP .

The US economy in a shambles, and it's going to get worse. Much worse.

Bush and his war have spent us into oblivion, and the trouble is, none of the other candidates - Obama, Clinton or McCain - are talking about serious spending cuts and addressing our massive debt, which is something like 9 trillion dollars now.

We are doing precisely what bin Laden wanted us to do - spend ourselves to death.

The trouble seems to be the way presidents get elected? Do you choose the very best out of the political arena? Those whose minds mean only the cream rises to the top? Or do you elect/ select the best looking with a great personality? How is it that Bill clinton gets elected then later his wife is a candidate? How can it be that George Bush can have a son who we will for arguments sake call George Bush who also is one of your very best political intellectuals? Of course you have the Terminater Arnie in the background. But didnt you already try an actor? Perhaps you could have a lottery and whoever wins gets to run the country? Im sure you would get someone more qualified and who doesnt have an agenda? And if we're ten years behind America we may yet get Cherie Blair as leader of the labour party? It seems the more you look at our political systems the more it seems they are working together for themselves. I think good start in America would be a referendum on updating the political system so Politicians are not groomed or super rich but are selected from ordinary honest hardworking people who rise through the ranks because of performance intellect and skill. Not because their family knows the right people or they have millions.

Edited by Mark Williams

Your talking rubbish the rest of Europe is doing much better than this country because they havent been seduced by the US .

----------------------------------------------------------

In what way?

-------------------------------------------------------

I want to be much more involved with the rest of Europe thought that might have happened when Blair was first elected ,

------------------------------------------------

Here in the UK every five years we elect a political party who have a manifesto that please the electorate. If they dont please the electorate they are not elected five years later. The party who wins the election is given the job to caretake our constitution those laws which give us our rights For example to own Property. Our constitution is made up of a series of documents and sometimes outcomes of judgements etc. Our government cant mess with those laws because the people would vote them out. This is our democracy it gives the people the upper hand and is a controlling influence on our politicians who want to stay in power.

HOWEVER NOW Our Politicians have given those rights to the EU who are unelected and in power forever SO if they mess with our laws and they will we can no longer stop them. Effectively they own the laws and so own all property and even the shirt of your back. We cant stop them from doing whatever they like.

THATS THE EU

America is not to blame for everything. Although sometimes its popular to bash America for everything.

THE EU is the most corrupt organisation ever to exist and it has fleeced the UK of Billions. It is a dictatorship by virtue of the fact its in power forever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

but no his head and the Darth Vader Brown are so up Bushes arse we dont stand a chance , anyway have fun with UKIP .

-------------------------------------------------

Darth Vader Brown??? More like Traitor Brown As for being up George bushes arse what on earth are you on about????

Why do you think I would have fun with UKIP? Im not a member of any Political party and my belief is UKIP is designed to hoover up those against the EU and take them into oblivion. I dont need to be a member of any political party to see the treachoury greed and theft being perpertrated on us here in the UK and your comments dont make much sense ?

Edited by Mark Williams

UKIP can be the only political party you can vote for going on your views on being a member of Europe they are the only ones that want out as far as i know unless the BNP do not sure on that one , you really shouldnt wind me up on politics i take no prisoners .

UKIP can be the only political party you can vote for going on your views on being a member of Europe they are the only ones that want out as far as i know unless the BNP do not sure on that one , you really shouldnt wind me up on politics i take no prisoners .

Wind up? All the political Parties would hold a referendum. As for taking prisoners You dont take prisoners because politicly you dont have an argument. Go ahead defend the EU? Problem is you can't.

Edited by Mark Williams