New light source

• Premium Member
Excellent lumens to watts ratio. Super efficient. I wonder what the CRI is like and if it has a flicker discharge. Also if they can make it any lower in power.

And what the cost may be...

• Premium Member

Here's the specs from their web site:

http://www.lifi.com/pdfs/ProductBulletinLIFI.pdf

It looks quite good, there are no spikes in the spectrum, but it does have a couple strange notches at 411 and 452 nm. CRI is claimed to be 88 - 95.

Flicker should be no problem, as it's operating in the RF range.

It does look expensive to make, and may initially only be cost effective for high power applications. With no electrodes in the bulb, life should be quite long, and I don't see any reason for it to degrade over its life. They say it's still 80% at 25,000 hours.

There's no mention of prices. I guess like J.P. said, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
They say its 6000k, so even if its really expensive, so is HMI.

The CIE coordinates they give for it land closer to 6600K, though they say 6400K. Production volume will determine the cost. It looks to be comparable to HMI when they get up to the same volume.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
.... but that will depend on the reflector behind it.

One of the peculiarities of this technology is that the tiny globe has to be mounted in the side of a big block of material. It might not put any light behind the plane of that surface. It has to do with getting the RF energy into the globe.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

In the next 6 months to a year some more pretty amazing light sources are going to be introduced so hang in there. And light sources more for use in our industry. This light source is more industrial than for film.

• Premium Member

That looks promising. I don't know the things involved in powering it, but I can see some serious fixtures using this technology pretty quickly if they are efficient and tough enough. A cluster of these would be nice in a china ball, for example.