First DI

John Thomas

• Premium Member

I started the DI process on my first film today. I'm working at EFilm in Hollywood with colorist Steve Scott. Efilm seems like an A+ facility. It's nice to have some modern control over the color correction process.

The company I'm working for plans to make a few "nice" prints but the bulk of the release prints are coming from the IP/IN process. If you've got a machine that can make you a negative why do you have to make prints the old fashioned way? Is it really that much more money to make the negatives you need at EFilm instead of the IP/IN route?

• Premium Member

Well, EFILM probably would charge an additional $45,000 or more for each digital negative output, though maybe that price could be negotiated down. Compare that to probably spending $20,000 to make an IP & IN total, so that's still cheaper than outputting more original negatives. But I agree, it's silly when the quality is so much better to just keep directly outputting the number of negatives you need for release printing and skipping the IP/IN steps. A 2K resolution D.I. isn't so much of a loss if the prints are made directly from the output negative.

Guest tylerhawes

I remember on Superman Returns Harris Savides tried to get all the prints to be first-generation IP/IN and not dupes (for theaters). Of course I agreed it would be wonderful. But an extra million dollars for better looking prints didn't get the accountants excited.

On my side of the pond, the price for a IP/DN or a second digital recording to DN are practically identical. Some producers still have very old habits, some of them still seem to want U-matic until we explain it is no longer a current format.

Guest tylerhawes

Yeah that was a weird mental slip. OK I was doing some work on Zodiac at the same time as I was working on Superman Returns, and my brain apparently manifested signs of early-onset Alzheimers by conjoining the two projects.

Of course I meant Thom Sigel!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm almost finished with the DI. A couple reels are going out to film soon. We're going to make 10-20 show prints, the rest will come from the IP/IN routine. I have to say that Steve Scott and EFILM have made the film look as good as it can look.

My current job will be finished in the old school method. I'm going to miss the DI suite. I'd better do some decent photography upfront, no saves at the finish line next time. :(