Resume

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

My concerns:

I'm pursing a career in cinematography (which is why I'm on this site) and I want my resume to reflect my career goals. I don't have a specifc objective listed because 1) I don't have much room and 2) I also apply and take other jobs inbetween camera jobs just to pay the rent.

I've currently organized it by my position held because I've jumped around as opportunities present themselves, example; after leaving a camera operator position on a very low budget tv show, I started taking PA jobs again, but on higher profile productions. A DP I recently worked with felt very strongly that once someone moves up (ie from PA to 2nd or 2nd to 1st) that you "can't" or shouldn't ever go jumping back and forth between positions, is this a common sentiment?

On some positions I held jobs where I filled multiple roles. I worked a couple jobs where I was originally hired as a PA, but was also the only person to fill the role of AC and grip. Those jobs I was the PA/AC/Grip and the producers clearly defined the jobs as such, but it seems like that would be too much to list and still be taken seriously. On those jobs, I was getting lunch, but also setting lights, preping camera and G&E gear and shooting the ocasional 'D' camera. Would I be better to list Camera PA as a more acurate title?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

My concerns:

I'm pursing a career in cinematography (which is why I'm on this site) and I want my resume to reflect my career goals. I don't have a specifc objective listed because 1) I don't have much room and 2) I also apply and take other jobs inbetween camera jobs just to pay the rent.

I've currently organized it by my position held because I've jumped around as opportunities present themselves, example; after leaving a camera operator position on a very low budget tv show, I started taking PA jobs again, but on higher profile productions. A DP I recently worked with felt very strongly that once someone moves up (ie from PA to 2nd or 2nd to 1st) that you "can't" or shouldn't ever go jumping back and forth between positions, is this a common sentiment?

On some positions I held jobs where I filled multiple roles. I worked a couple jobs where I was originally hired as a PA, but was also the only person to fill the role of AC and grip. Those jobs I was the PA/AC/Grip and the producers clearly defined the jobs as such, but it seems like that would be too much to list and still be taken seriously. On those jobs, I was getting lunch, but also setting lights, preping camera and G&E gear and shooting the ocasional 'D' camera. Would I be better to list Camera PA as a more acurate title?

Thanks

Take whatever you can as much as you can. Hell, I've even taken some PA jobs recently just to see what union shows are like. I'm open to doing it more, previously I assumed I was better than anything lower than a 1st AC, I've changed my outlook in order to improve. Besides, when you work as a PA and carry a skill that can be called upon when say a Loader doesn't show up and you save them because you know the skill, they won't forget it. It's all about networking and meeting as many people as possible, so take anything and everything, keeping busy is a good thing even if you demote yourself for a job. Nobody wants to demote themselves, but it can be helpful to those who do not work super steadily doing something better. Also a good way to keep an ego in check.

I would ignore that DP's feelings, his way wont work for everyone!

for your Resume, only include the credits for the position you are applying for unless it is closely related and is beneficial to the position you apply for. Dont list "Pa/Grip/AC" on a resume, pick on that corresponds to your application. Sometimes that means having multiple resume's ready to go.

I've been on jobs where I've held multiple roles, but often I only list the Main position I did, rarely are they equal. If they are equal, pick and choose the title you want, or list each job on a seperate resume the corresponds to that position. Possibly think about just listing the the position you were hired as, and if officially promoted (you dont do the lower position anymore and it is filled by someone else) then list the promoted position.

Hope this is helpful

Allen

Having multiple resumes is a great way to build your career. Obviously you will hand out the most appropriate version to the prospective employer. I would suggest that you continue to diversify your skill-sets as you continue to explore the industry. As you become more experienced and better jobs arise, you will naturally decline the jobs that don't interest you. Follow your instinct and be passionate to achieve your goals. Best of Luck.

Joshua

My concerns:

Thanks

• Premium Member

If I see a resume where someone lists grip PA cinematographer and director on the same page, I throw it out. If you are starting out, you are PA, nothing more. You are not a director, nor a cinematographer unless that is all you do. What I am saying is that an early stage in a career you have to show me some form of symmetry and consistency to your work and thinking. You may want to be a cinematographer but I have worked in this business for over 25 years so when you show five different career directions as a newbie, I am confused as to what you do well, or at all. Easier to find someone who does seem to know what they are doing or shows me as a PA they have lots of experience in all areas of production. I think camera PA might be a good way to narrow it down but then again it may lock you out of work too. I would rather see you try to get on productions in any PA capacity and then see if you can work your way to working in the camera department. All experience is good experience at an early stage so I'd say don't lock yourself out of working because you want to be a cinematographer some day.

As for career goals, right now I'd say forgo telling folks you want ot be a cinematographer. I know I don't care when I look at your resume. I care to see that you have experience and a well rounded experience in production. I don't even read the "goal" line on a resume. Means nothing. Later as you get experience the first thing you notice you'll drop is your goal line. It only shows me you have no experience.

Anyone that wants to send me a resume for a critique, please do directly and not through this system. I've spent many years hiring for various companies and agencies and am a good template for presenting a resume for crituque.

Thanks for the advice. My resume did not link correctly to this post. When I originally posted this, my computer glitched and refreshed, and accidentally double posted.

For anyone that did not see the other post. Here is my resume again. It also contains set medic jobs I have recently held, but it has been suggested that I should remove them. For this purpose, I'll leave as it is for now. I have found that I get many set medic jobs from producer that I originally met when discussing other positions, then they call me back when they need a medic. (Hey, it gets me on set to meet people, learn, and pays the rent too! :) )

Any and all input is appreciated.

Resume__Michele_Peterson.pdf

Edited by Michele Peterson

Thanks for the advice. My resume did not link correctly to this post. When I originally posted this, my computer glitched and refreshed, and accidentally double posted.

For anyone that did not see the other post. Here is my resume again. It also contains set medic jobs I have recently held, but it has been suggested that I should remove them. For this purpose, I'll leave as it is for now. I have found that I get many set medic jobs from producer that I originally met when discussing other positions, then they call me back when they need a medic. (Hey, it gets me on set to meet people, learn, and pays the rent too! :) )

Any and all input is appreciated.

Hi! I took a look at your resume that you attached, another way to go about it if you want department specific jobs is to group your credits according to the dept. For example, on mine I have two different sections, credits as a 1st AC starting with the most recent on, and then another header with 2nd AC credits under it the same way. It helps when people look at it to see how often, and in what capacity your working in each department. Then when I'm submitting for a specfic position, it also makes it easier to just cut and paste the credits as a 1st or a 2nd, and when I'm looking for a 2nd or a loader and production hands me a resume it makes it alot easier to see who has what experience and how much. Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by Bianca Bahena

Hi! I took a look at your resume that you attached, another way to go about it if you want department specific jobs is to group your credits according to the dept. For example, on mine I have two different sections, credits as a 1st AC starting with the most recent on, and then another header with 2nd AC credits under it the same way. It helps when people look at it to see how often, and in what capacity your working in each department. Then when I'm submitting for a specfic position, it also makes it easier to just cut and paste the credits as a 1st or a 2nd, and when I'm looking for a 2nd or a loader and production hands me a resume it makes it alot easier to see who has what experience and how much. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hey Michele,

There is a lot of good advice on this board already so I will keep it brief. You should probably take off anything that is not related to the field you want to work in. First thing I would do is lose the Subway and Coldstone entries. Overall it looks pretty scattered. You have enough credits in most areas to have separate resumes for each. At least keep all of the camera credits together and then your PA and intern or any other credits on another resume. Try to make it seem like the job you are applying for is all you do. That's what I try to do at least.

I know how tough it is to only work as a DP, or only work in the camera department. I also take PA and editing jobs to pay the rent. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. You need to stay working in the industry if you are going to accomplish your goals.