tape

I'm curious about everyone's personal tape preferences (what and how much do you carry and why) as well as where are the best places to get it.

I shop mostly at filmtools. There are a lot of tapes, paper, cloth, in assorted sizes and colors. There are also specialty tapes. Depends on what your doing. It's a good idea to have as many available to you as possible. Just browse Filmtools.com and look at the tapes, or go in person and buy what you think you will need.

In the off chance you are talking about taking tape measures, I use my Fat Maxx 25" mostly. Best tape around.

1/4" paper tape is good for placing focus and T-stop marks on the barrel or focal length on zooms. It's easier to cut arrows out of it than cloth tape and it's easier to remove. 2" paper tape is good for taping power cords to walls if you're concerned that gaffer tape will remove some paint.

I generally carry:

1" Cloth tape: Red, Blue, Black, White, and occasionally some other color that's been chosen for taping mags (orange, purple, etc.)

1/4" Paper Tape: White and/or light blue

2" Black Matte/Photo Tape (for patching up light leaks in a mattebox or as an extra brow, and on a rare occasion to cover up a bright out of focus object in the background)

2" Cloth/Gaffer Tape, for general use

2" Mag Label Tape

1" Neon Color Tape (good for marking the camera on cardoor rigs or for taping off the area if it's a lock off)

Anything else you need, just grab it from G&E's kit ;)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
Anything else you need, just grab it from G&E's kit ;)

Hahaha, very funny Jonathan. Other than the last sentence, Jonathan's advice is solid. The 1' inch cloth tape is very useful for taping the cans closed. Black is usually used to signify exposed film. (There are always exceptions on certain shoots and in different countries so always check).

Are you asking this question as a Cinematographer or as a Camera Assistant? Tape is considered an expendable that the production is supposed to pay for. If production wants you to use your own tapes, then you need to charge them a kit fee for usage of the tape or have them replace the tapes with new ones at the end of the show (depending on what is fair). Of course make sure this is taken care of and understood BEFORE the shoot starts.

Thanks for the input. I'm asking from a camera department perspective. I ask because I work in a production department, so its an expendable that I'm now responsible for buying. So I appreciate the insight. Any other suggestions?

• Premium Member

I bought some gaffers tape from a reputable company and the glue was actually separating from the tape itself. Another thing to consider is how "loud" the tape actually is when one unspools it. There are times when prepping when has to prep for the next shot but the dang tape is too loud when it is unspooled.

However, I doubt that anyone has ever advertised that their tape is "quieter than the competitions".

2 inch wide tape seems to be the one that is most susceptible to having the glue come off or be "too loud" when it is unspooled.

Hahaha, very funny Jonathan. Other than the last sentence, Jonathan's advice is solid.

he he he ;)

Yeah, the standard is White tape for unexposed and Black for exposed, unless production calls for a special color coding. The various colors of 1" cloth tape are mainly for taping mags. Everyone has their own system of what color goes with what ASA & color balance, and you can find examples if you search the forums.