More real-world examples...

Emanuel A Guedes

Beyond the usual names already well known, here's more one adding his signature to the gallery:

Darius Khondji (DoP of Se7en)

9_old%20navy%20ba%20day3a%20009.jpg

Taken at an Old Navy shoot in Buenos Aires.

Photo courtesy of Radiant Images

redcamerarentals.com

Posted on reduser.net

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.ph...2574#post192574

This post should be dedicated to Jim... sorry, I mean not Jannard nor Murdoch, to Keith. :lol: It's all up to you!

• Premium Member

All I can say is that some people's concept of "real" is well, unique.

I know there are any number of websites where you can download sample RED footage, but you are only ever going to be able to download what somebody wants you to download. I would like to see an hour or so of continuous footage on a TV or Cinema screen, not be directed to an endless series of bandwidth-hogging downloads that will require me to upgrade my internet connection.

The road to the supposed death of film is littered with the bodies of video fanboys who grew overheated at the excellence of their video on a 14 inch screen, only to be devastated when they saw the same footage on a 14 METRE screen.

Edited by Keith Walters

I know there are any number of websites where you can download sample RED footage, but you are only ever going to be able to download what somebody wants you to download. I would like to see an hour or so of continuous footage on a TV or Cinema screen (...)

You'll see, you'll see. Is there any other camera out there that had came out so early on the screen such as it SHALL happen now with RED? Here's the "real-world concept" (actually, brought by you in these same boards), well, for some people. :lol:

[EDIT]

(...) not be directed to an endless series of bandwidth-hogging downloads that will require me to upgrade my internet connection.

The road to the supposed death of film is littered with the bodies of video fanboys who grew overheated at the excellence of their video on a 14 inch screen, only to be devastated when they saw the same footage on a 14 METRE screen.

I would like to believe that this "thing" between "video" vs. "film" is just a way of past or between "geek types" (digital vs. film) or yet "fanboys" (RED vs. film), as you wish. When any new tools are introduced. Beyond any kind of technology (based on), we're just talking about moving images, right? I appreciate indeed the "motion picture" use as the most common sense notion for distinctive sort of blow-ups on the screen but not based on technology, for Christ's sake !! No matter the medium. Perhaps, the content ?!...

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes

• Premium Member
You'll see, you'll see. Is there any other camera out there that had came out so early on the screen such as it SHALL happen now with RED? Here's the "real-world concept" (actually, brought by you in these same boards), well, for some people. :lol:

[EDIT]

I would like to believe that this "thing" between "video" vs. "film" is just a way of past or between "geek types" (digital vs. film) or yet "fanboys" (RED vs. film), as you wish. When any new tools are introduced. Beyond any kind of technology (based on), we're just talking about moving images, right? I appreciate indeed the "motion picture" use as the most common sense notion for distinctive sort of blow-ups on the screen but not based on technology, for Christ's sake !! No matter the medium. Perhaps, the content ?!...

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

:lol: Old argument (or no argument?) "Jim"..., (so) old like your beard... ;)

EDIT -- BTW, I loved the way you typed that "trying" before that "to say"... you cannot mask your boring... LOL

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes

... you cannot mask your boring... LOL

My favorite one :rolleyes: :

"Boredom, boring, bored: A chosen state of mind brought on by laziness and the firm belief that others are in charge of the so supposedly afflicted person's own entertainment."

http://www.geocities.com/astximw/firestop_terminology.html

• Premium Member
My favorite one :rolleyes: :

"Boredom, boring, bored: A chosen state of mind brought on by laziness and the firm belief that others are in charge of the so supposedly afflicted person's own entertainment."

http://www.geocities.com/astximw/firestop_terminology.html

Does anybody have any idea what this man is talking about?

Jim,

Looks like the cable is well made!

Stephen

That cable is a new 4k digital cable that will replace a film cable. This thread is funny. You've got the best DPs in the business already testing and using the camera and still people go on and on and......... Give someone a chance to finish a film and then go see it - then make your comments. So there are a lot of fanboys - big deal. It's a new type of camera and it's a clever idea that seems to work pretty well.

Bob Torrance

• Premium Member

Hi Bob,

Guess you don't get the importance of quality cables.

The best DP's in the world have also used Sony F900 cameras, Sony went on to build better cameras based on what they were told.

Red's new PL mount is a vast improvement over the original, had they got no negative feedback then I am sure the new one would not have happened.

Stephen

That cable is a new 4k digital cable that will replace a film cable. This thread is funny. You've got the best DPs in the business already testing and using the camera and still people go on and on and......... Give someone a chance to finish a film and then go see it - then make your comments. So there are a lot of fanboys - big deal. It's a new type of camera and it's a clever idea that seems to work pretty well.

Bob Torrance

I know there are any number of websites where you can download sample RED footage, but you are only ever going to be able to download what somebody wants you to download. I would like to see an hour or so of continuous footage on a TV or Cinema screen, not be directed to an endless series of bandwidth-hogging downloads that will require me to upgrade my internet connection.

Keith... you know how long it takes from shooting a movie until theater release. Soderbergh's two movies (Ché) will be released in a couple of months. They were shot last year on prototype pre-production cameras. He is shooting The Informant (Matt Damon) starting next month. You won't see that movie until the beginning of next year. Peter Hyams (Beyond A Reasonable Doubt) Starring Michael Douglas, is wrapping now. You won't see that for many months. Since the official 1st ship date was just 7 months ago, what would you expect to see on the big screen? There are now over 30 features being shot on RED. It is unreasonable to expect that any of them would be in theaters next month. But you know that.

Jim

Yeah, additional "something new?? F*** that!" comment.

(sarcasm, said the man who was rubbing magnets on videotape for fun,)

looks like Red is being used, congrats Jim. Never doubted the camera, but never expected it to attract such big names off the bat either. I'm looking forward to Soderbergh's films for sure, but I'm even more looking forward to the Bujalski-type films the camera might encourage.

Probably be years before I get to mess around with the camera myself though...

Also, some people's concept of the Real is indeed unique: Look at Lacan. that dude was crzy.

Does anybody have any idea what this man is talking about?

:lol: Yes, do it. Ask help!... (Hey, and it was Jim answering your call... LOL)

Here's another one:

"crutch: Just as in waking life, the dream crutch represents support and assistance. It may be an emotional crutch, a spiritual one or even a psychological prop used to improperly inflate the ego or, to artificially assist one in their views."

http://www.katiestanley.com/resources/dd/c.htm#crutch

I'm sorry if it's too much for you but... you are a poster after the modern era (= modernity) have came to the storytelling. Or, at least, it should be for anyone over here. After all, more than a forum about technology, this is a forum about cinematography or am I missing something? ;) There, you can find something denominated by "Reception Aesthetics" also called "Reception Theory". Maybe you should read something on subject instead the usual white papers.

BTW -- part II, I noticed a new introduction on your vocabulary on commenting or referring to this "man" here... so don't ask me to repeat or reiterate myself:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=226586

Or you would have to change your user name once again. And then, it wouldn't be so clear to follow all posts exchanged between us since two years ago.

• Premium Member
Keith... you know how long it takes from shooting a movie until theater release. Soderbergh's two movies (Ché) will be released in a couple of months. They were shot last year on prototype pre-production cameras. He is shooting The Informant (Matt Damon) starting next month. You won't see that movie until the beginning of next year. Peter Hyams (Beyond A Reasonable Doubt) Starring Michael Douglas, is wrapping now. You won't see that for many months. Since the official 1st ship date was just 7 months ago, what would you expect to see on the big screen? There are now over 30 features being shot on RED. It is unreasonable to expect that any of them would be in theaters next month. But you know that.

Jim

Most REDs are not being used to shoot movies, just as most movie film is not used to shoot movies. But you know that.

Doesn't have to be on the big screen. I have no doubt the RED produces far more resolution than broadcast HDTV needs. If you had been paying attention you would have noticed that I have even defended the case for Bayer reconstruction on this forum, flying in the face of certain wildlife experts and other luminaries.

There is something that appears to have escaped many people's notice here and elsewhere: there is no film at the back of your eyeballs. There is no CMOS sensor on your retina. The beautifully focussed full colour 3-D view you have of the world is an illusion. It is entirely constructed inside your brain from the unbelievably limited amount of information that your eyes provide.

But as long as the image on the screen is able to provide all the information that your eyes can process, you will see a high resolution image. The image does not exactly have to duplicate reality. 4:2:2 video is not an exact depiction of reality but I am damned sure you would not be able to tell the difference. This is why standard definition TV can appear to carry nearly twice the resolution that theory predicts, using modern signal processing techniques. That is why HDTV cameras make such excellent SD cameras. And why the RED should make a superb HDTV camera. Which is why I and many others are surprised there is no live 1920 x 1080 HD output. Sooner rather than later, someone is going to make a similar competing product that does. (And as like as not, with signal processing circutiry that does not run like the top of a stove.)

But I am not primarily interested in resolution, although that is important for cinema release. I am mainly interested in the dynamic range of your otherwise excellent product. And that's dynamic range when somebody is told: "Shoot this, and this, and this and this", not: "Go and find something pretty to shoot than the camera can handle".

The main giveaway between video derived from film and video derived from silicon is the percentage of the pixels that are bleached white and carry no information. Advertisers have to pay good money for every pixel that gets broadcast. They resent having to pay for peak white pixels that carry no information. Same goes for cinema patrons.

When you are claiming 66dB (about 11 stops) dynamic range, and people who have used the camera are claiming only 6 stops well, what exactly am I to believe? OK, maybe it does do 11 stops, other cameras can, so why not yours? But why would they say 6 stops? About what you would get from an old Image Orthicon B&W camera with a new tube if you were lucky? Don't think so. So I am going to be doing my own tests by and by, and then I will **know**.

Regarding your comment about film lead time, I was actually responding to the numerous people here and elsewhere somewhat rudely informing me that "enormous" amounts of RED footage intended for TV broadcast are already out there. In the system. On the air.

But when I ask for details I simply get double talk. The "large amount" of Red footage on Australian TV suddenly dwindled to just two commercial spots. I could only find one, and the post production quality on that was so bad it might as well have been shot with Phil Rhode's famous cellphone camera. And I still have no idea which bits were shot with the RED.

Yes, I have downloaded samples of RED footage. But I am not made of money. I can think of better things to spend money on than Internet plans with enormous download allocations, just so I can download ultra-HD pictures of people's pets. I do have a life.

Yes, some of what I saw is very impressive. So sometimes are the pictures from my cellphone camera (considering what it is). So is the live HD from channel 7 Sydney's news room. Some of it was downright ordinary. So is some of the other footage emanating from the Sydney newsroom.

I do not particularly need to see RED footage on a cinema screen, although that is obviously important. By chance, a brand new theatre complex has just opened up only a short distance from here, with state of the art (whatever that means) digital projection facilities, so these new films should get every chance of a fair viewing.

But I have been down this road too many times before. Nothing really surprises me in the film industry any more, apart perhaps from the fact that films actually get made at all!

But you know that.

Wow, Keith, you've got to be kidding (or trolling) with these nonsensical rants. Talk about dead-enders. You're like the last Japanese soldiers stranded on those islands in the Pacific in the late 40s thinking the war was still going on. The capabilities and limits of the RED camera are widely discussed and available - moreso each day. 6 stops? Lol.

Hi Bob,

Guess you don't get the importance of quality cables.

The best DP's in the world have also used Sony F900 cameras, Sony went on to build better cameras based on what they were told.

Red's new PL mount is a vast improvement over the original, had they got no negative feedback then I am sure the new one would not have happened.

Stephen

Huh? Stephen, the cable comment was my attempt at humor (not very funny, I guess). I have all kind of quality cables around, if that helps. Sure Sony went on to build better cameras based on what they were told (I would argue that their motivation was the competition in the market) but you have to buy a new camera to get the improvements. Reds PL mount fix was free and would have happened anyway because Jim likes cameras (he has lots of them) and wants to sell them. Lets be careful about making blanket statements about what a company policy would be, ie "I am sure the new one would not have happened".

Bob

• Premium Member
You're like the last Japanese soldiers stranded on those islands in the Pacific in the late 40s thinking the war was still going on.

Some of them actually held out all the way into the 1970's. That's what's so amazing about it.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Most REDs are not being used to shoot movies, just as most movie film is not used to shoot movies. But you know that.

.... RED should make a superb HDTV camera. Which is why I and many others are surprised there is no live 1920 x 1080 HD output. Sooner rather than later, someone is going to make a similar competing product that does.

Well, most TV is not live. But you know that.

News, sports, and soaps are about all the live TV there is. They all get along just fine on the existing 2/3" three chip cameras. In all three cases, the larger DOF of 2/3" actually works better for them.

Red, just as it is, with de-Bayering in post, should make a superb camera for prime time network HDTV shows. I'm looking forward to it.

-- J.S.

PS

I think I have to quote someone...

Smartest post in two years...

Jim

:lol:

...granted that you are not the next Jim Murdoch's reincarnation... :rolleyes:

Sorry Jim for stealing your copyright... :-)

...courtesy of Jim Jannard (poster at cinematography.com and violent-smiley-027.gif billionaire :)) coming from another thread:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=226415