Phantom Music Videos

Matt Workman

Hey,

I had the honor and pleasure of meeting with Mr. Max Goldman who has lensed some of my favorite contemporary music videos. Directors like Marc Webb, LilX, Phillip Andelman, Anthony Mandler, and more.

www.maxgoldmandp.com

Anyway, he mentioned that his go to HD camera when not shooting 35mm is the Phantom HD. 35mm lenses, etc. , relatively straight forward recording to cinemags. Not LOG color space but better than a F900.

One of his recent videos for Jay Z was shot with the Phantom. I'm sure there are others but I didn't get to ask him what others.

Jay Z "I Know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhSjWZIhDQ

*better version on Max's site

Looking for more. I have a friend who shot a commercial with one but I lost the link.

Matt

• Premium Member

What a boring music video!!!

Camera looks nice. I'm working on a big job for a major cable company that I've choose hte Phantom for as I need to make a high rez video wall background for a program and need a high quality picture and Phantom is my first choice.

Hey Walter, thats great you are using it. Are you using the 2k or HD? For some reason until I spoke with Max I only thought to use that camera for high speed work, but both his and your use of it has changed my view of the camera.

It does interface very well with the Iridas Speed Grade, which I'm a big fan of. Previewing rough color corects of the footage is always heplful for figuring out appropriate key/fill ratios. I'd be interested to have a colorist on set just like a VFX supervisor.

Matt

The 2K is the HD. The Phantom HD has a native resolution of 2048x2048, but most of the time people use it at 1920x1080. At that resolution it can shoot more than 1000fps. But with clients such as Walter and Max, we more and more have been renting the camera out on jobs where they shoot 24fps or 30 fps and like the Phantom for it's particular look and workflow. It is a full-fledged Digital Cinema camera system.

Anyone in Vegas this week should swing by the Abel booth (C8508) and check out the Phantom offerings. I'm not allowed to officially say what we have before the show starts, but it's really sweet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot the Chevelle "Well Enough Alone" video over a year ago with the Phantom. This was before the mags were available. It is a great camera for 24 and 1000 fps @ 1080. We were fortunate to master the final video in HD.

Joshua

http://joshuareis.com/quicktime/Quicktimes_Chevelle.html

720P version

http://joshuareis.com/quicktime/hd/CHEVELL...H264_HD_9mb.mov

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I would agree with Mr. Goldman - Phantom is my go-to HD camera at the moment, regardless if we're shooting high speed or not.

Here's a link to my experience shooting with the Phantom and using anamorphic lenses:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=32890

• 5 months later...
I shot the Chevelle "Well Enough Alone" video over a year ago with the Phantom. This was before the mags were available. It is a great camera for 24 and 1000 fps @ 1080. We were fortunate to master the final video in HD.

Joshua

http://joshuareis.com/quicktime/Quicktimes_Chevelle.html

720P version

http://joshuareis.com/quicktime/hd/CHEVELL...H264_HD_9mb.mov

Hi, I am just planing to shoot a music video. We are thinking of using the Phantom for the slow mo stuff and the Red for regular speeds. So far I've heard from many people that the Phantom is a great all round camera also when shooting 25fps. So my question would be if I should cancel the RED and just stick with the Phantom for the whole video?

Any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

• Premium Member

It depends on how much you are really shooting and if having the two cameras for the same setup could be a big advantage for you.

The Phantom HD with at least one (better off with two) Cinemags is a great looking package. Also, the Phantom generates rather large amounts of data, so it is something to consider during your post, but is certainly something that is very manageable if planned for.

Kevin Zanit

• 2 months later...

I'm sure you guys might not have a choice in posting links to youtube, since that might be the only link available...I have to say it's very frustrating to watching anything on youtube, noneless Phantom footage, and see the camera for what it's worth (i know I'll never see anything on the web that closely resembles the output of the camera though)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

"How do you monitor this camera? is there a little LCD or something? can I review shots right after doing them, to decide if i need to reshoot them, delete them, save them, etc?"

The camera has a viewfinder (Sony color viewfinder) as well as an HD-SDI out, so you can monitor with normal HD monitors.

The take you shot is available to be played back immediately after cutting. It will play on the viewfinder as well as the SDI out at any frame rate you want, though typically you play back at 24 fps (or 29.97 depending on your final time base). You can then decide if you want to keep or dump that take. If you keep it, you typically set in and out points for the clip and save to the computer (which can take quite some time), or if you are using a Cinemag, save to the mag in a few seconds (and then download the mag at a later time).

If you decide not to keep the clip, the shot is dumped instantly and the camera is ready to go again.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...