"Calibre"

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy
I'm also wondering how you came to test and rate the camera @ EI 500. I was forwarded the results of a few camera tests from Fletcher Camera in Chicago and the results show the response to be @ EI ~800. I am shooting a short soon with the EX-1, P&S and Zeiss Standards T2.1. I'm doing lighting diagrams and photometric calculations and I'm planning to rate the camera at approx. EI 250-320 with the attachments.

The 500asa i rated the camera at was a choice i made purely based on the way the camera was responding in the low light conditions i was working in. Personally i like to underexpose video (and film usually!) so im sure an EI of 320 is probably a more accurate start point for your tests.

Well, I've been researching and can't seem to find any information proving anything other than EI 800 but I have given in and am shooting with the Superspeeds. Ughh... I'm just not a fan of the Superspeeds. I just have a gut feeling that with my gamma and matrix settings, I'll be rating the camera at EI 500 before attachments; putting me closer to EI 200 (according to P&S Techniks website listing a 1.2 stop loss of light). And Ideally, I'd like to shoot at a T2 maybe T2/2.8 but I don't feel confident enough to stick with the Standards. What were you're gamma settings for the camera on this shoot? Did you notice a change in sensitivity when shooting 720P versus 1080P? I heard that 720P is a 1/2-1 stop(?) more sensitive than 1080P. I've yet to test this.

Edited by darrin p nim

Guest Stephen Murphy

Hi Darrin,

I hoestly cant remember what gamma table i was using - i just picked one that looked good to my eye and stayed with it for the shoot. I didnt recall seeing any asa difference between the 720p and 1080p modes. I only used the 720P mode for the high speed 50fps footage. How you rate the camera isn't really that important so long as its giving you the results you want. The project i was using the Ex1 on was all nights - perhaps if i was shooting days id be more inclined to rate it higher to help protect the highlights a bit.

Hi Stephen,

Gorgeous stills, I think you've really squeezed something special out of that camera.

I've come to really like the EX1 personally, despite a few design 'quirks' but it seems to be able to deliver pictures of a camera far more expensive than it is!

Best,

Andy

Guest Stephen Murphy

thanks Andy - I've yet to do the final grade and conform so im holding judgement until i see that, but ill be sure to let everyone know when its done.

s

• 4 weeks later...
Those pics look good. It is interesting, because most footage I have seen shot with these cameras is very flat, uninteresting and unlit looking. I have been toying with one and still cannot get past the fact that it is HDV, a compression scheme I loath. However this camera' scheme seems to be a lot better than any other HVD compression that I have seen so far. Also, I find the picture it takes extremely sharp pictures, in an obvious HD way, did you use any image softener/ mist other than smoque filters?

Good job.

HVX is not HDV format. It's a totally different compressions scheme, i.e. DVC PRO HD