Girls Aloud video.

Hello Adam,

Really nice work. Your videos have a really high quality execution.

I had a couple of general questions about your work.

I was looking at some of your other music videos, for the Prince music video, I really liked the sequence in the bedroom, I was wondering if you could tell us what stop did you use there and how did you rate the film, I'm wondering if it was brought down a lot in post.

I noticed there is a cool pattern in the back wall, is that a cucoloris?

do the Briese lights come with different layers of diffusion?

Thanks

Francisco

• Premium Member

Thank you.

Contrary to what I normally do, I actually exposed this one pretty much straight at ASA 500. I normally overexpose about half a stop or sometimes a bit more as it gives you a little more leeway and makes the grain tight. But as I recall my thoughts were, I didn't want to leave any room for too bright a transfer in post in case I couldn't attend. Also, the bridge sequence was at the very edge of the neg (I was fighting to get my stop on the background and ambiences) and I didn't want the two to be different in grain.

Recently, and as I've gotten busier and many times can not attend the grading, I've started to expose 35mm pretty much straight or slightly under. That's so they can't get any ideas and grade it too bright. 16mm I still overexpose as I find it really helps with the grain.

The back wall is a cucoloris or ulcer, yes.

Briese comes with 2 different diffusion, I think. I normally go for the thicker one.