RED vs. 35mm shoot-out

Charles Haine

"I think the problem with contemporary-instrument orchestras is that they sound too abrassive to be considered of symphonic hall quality. I listened to Bach's St Matthew Passion recorded by Nikolaus Harnoncourt with baroque instruments on SACD and it sounded so great because it had volume and loudness.

Hey Michael I'm almost inclined to agree ! Altho I'll note that Harnoncourt went over to modern instruments for Mozart with the Amsterdam Concertgebouw; OK, he kept the natural trumpets didn't he ;)

PS Does the Kurzweil K250 qualify as a "period instrument" yet in digital years ? B)

Sorry, now back to Back to the Future

-Sam (has Herreweghe's Matthew Passion, so there ya go)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mediafire.com/?skdgshggnlu

The link above is to a new SD file (encoded in H.264).

I re-did the SD telecine, correcting further for the over and under.

In fairness to the RED, I re-did the red cine export, changing to a LOG space and then working to correct the over/under in REDcine, to be more similar to the process of telecine.

Now, the Da Vinci is definitely a more powerful color corrected than REDcine. But, REDcine is what we have at the moment.

This process, as predicted by my friend who own RED camera's, gave me a wider lattitude from the RED, more like 2 over and 3 under, instead of what looks like 1 or so over and 2 under under the old workflow.

I've also thrown in some HVX footage, and I've included the daylight footage we shot with the RED.

Ch:H

• Premium Member
http://www.mediafire.com/?skdgshggnlu

The link above is to a new SD file (encoded in H.264).

Ch:H

Hey Chuck,

I couldn't get it to play either, and my QT seems to be up to date. Would love to see the footage, and thanks for taking a second pass at it. It will be interesting to see the HVX footage in the mix. I would have expected the RED footage to look a little better than it did in the over and under exposures once corrected.

Thanks for your efforts,

Bruce Taylor