I can't crew-I must direct!

This has been a big few weeks for me here in L.A., trying to find employment in the film industry, getting no where fast and then getting work but not much which is called "paying your dues". Well I've decided I don't want to pay my dues, I want to helm and command asap. This student film I work on what a somewhat stupid 1940's film noir throw-back, I'm sure if I continue "paying my dues" I'll be working on car commercials,infomericals and whatever crap until I finally get that cash-cow WB syndicated series when I turn 30. By that time I'll be known whithin the the scene as a hard-working AD or something..

I have little regard for rank-file positions and almost immediately after coming onto this student film set I wanted to tell people what to do! I wanted to fire the DP, a mouthy girl who thought she was the director. And then fire the director because she was a mouse and I couldn't understand why she was in charge except her rich mommy was roaming around the set (kick her off the set too.) Every shot they did I wanted to say something, I would stand there and have the hardest time not saying something!

Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.

I know this sounds dark,violent and "bad attitudey" but I could care less. I'm gonna step up on the backs of these people.

And how can I get a agent?

So I have my script Ideas, where can I get a good writer at?

What are the advantages of filming "independant" in L.A.?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a big few weeks for me here in L.A., trying to find employment in the film industry, getting no where fast and then getting work but not much which is called "paying your dues". Well I've decided I don't want to pay my dues, I want to helm and command asap. This student film I work on what a somewhat stupid 1940's film noir throw-back, I'm sure if I continue "paying my dues" I'll be working on car commercials,infomericals and whatever crap until I finally get that cash-cow WB syndicated series when I turn 30. By that time I'll be known whithin the the scene as a hard-working AD or something..

I have little regard for rank-file positions and almost immediately after coming onto this student film set I wanted to tell people what to do! I wanted to fire the DP, a mouthy girl who thought she was the director. And then fire the director because she was a mouse and I couldn't understand why she was in charge except her rich mommy was roaming around the set (kick her off the set too.) Every shot they did I wanted to say something, I would stand there and have the hardest time not saying something!

Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.

I know this sounds dark,violent and "bad attitudey" but I could care less. I'm gonna step up on the backs of these people.

Well I want to fly so where's my Lear jet?

With your shitass attitude you will fit right in with certain elements in Hollywood. Don't forget to bring your tube of KY jelly you arrogant little prick.

Edited by chuck colburn

Niki:

This has gone too far. You should stop hijacking this forum to vent on your antisocial, domineering and psycho tendencies. I think it is clear you are deranged and need to bring conflict into whatever situation you con your way in. Your self-rightousness and sense of entitlement are second to none. Please stop posting and seek proffesional help NOW!

You have abused the good nature of people in this forum long enough, are you happy? Now move on and spare us your hateful peddling of sour grapes.

Thank you.

The rest of us should just ignore this person from now on . . .

Niki:

This has gone too far. You should stop hijacking this forum to vent on your antisocial, domineering and psycho tendencies. I think it is clear you are deranged and need to bring conflict into whatever situation you con your way in. Your self-rightousness and sense of entitlement are second to none. Please stop posting and seek proffesional help NOW!

You have abused the good nature of people in this forum long enough, are you happy? Now move on and spare us your hateful peddling of sour grapes.

Thank you.

Morning Saul,

Your better with words than I am. lol

Chuck

Well I want to fly so where's my Lear jet?

With your shitass attitude you will fit right in with certain elements in Hollywood. Don't forget to bring your tube of KY jelly you arrogant little prick.

Yeah, were is your Lear Jet? Chillax, my "Shitass attitude" suits me just fine. Just because I want to produce quality entertainment doesn't mean I won't. Why KY jelly?Why not just dry? It's gonna hurt regardless..

• Premium Member

While I respect individuality and drive, a little something to keep in mind, Niki: Movie making is a group effort. Social skills are probably a little more important than technical or artistic skill.

• Premium Member

Niki,

Unless you change your attitude I predict you will go absolutely nowhere in this business. Film making is a collaborative effort and unless you can communicate and get along with your coworkers nobody is going to want to work with you. Yes, we all get frustrated because, as in all walks of life, you are always bound to run into a few idiots and incompetent people on the set. By the same token there are some geniuses out there as well. But even the super talented directors and cinematographers did not just wake up one morning and be that person. No matter how smart you think you are film making is a technical craft that can only be mastered by doing it over and over again day in and day out for years. I have been in this business for 20 years and I constantly find myself learning new things daily. That is what is so wonderful about this business. But even the smartest and most visionary person out there will have a tough time of it if they do not have the people skills to be tolerant and patient of others.

Sorry to sound preachy but your post stunned me.

Andy

• Premium Member

I'll put it like this: I know exactly what I'm going to say if I ever see your resume on a desk or hear your name being kicked around for a position. <_<

I'll put it like this: I know exactly what I'm going to say if I ever see your resume on a desk or hear your name being kicked around for a position. <_<

Niki, you should think about what you post, because you can burn some serious bridges on this forum. I want to shoot, but I cannot demand it. I enjoy working on the crew, there are a lot of jobs on set you can take pride in. They are not pointless nor meaningless. You are not all knowing, working a crew position will help you learn how things on a set are run. Every set has moments of Chaos, When that happens relax and reflect on the situation before opening your mouth. You open your mouth too soon you'll regret it later. You've already done some good damage to your name.

Remember, this poop doesn't happen overnight. (unless you fortunate enough to have mountains of cash)

These people on these forums can seriously help you, and you show nothing but disrespect to them. Show some appreciation and show a desire to earn your spot. You won't last long going like you are. They are all saying the same thing. Think about it.

Get serious about this, or get out of the forums.

Niki,

Unless you change your attitude I predict you will go absolutely nowhere in this business. Film making is a collaborative effort and unless you can communicate and get along with your coworkers nobody is going to want to work with you.

It can be a collaborative effort. Or it could be a dictatorship. And I'm the dictator.

Nobody would work with me if I sucked.

That's probably for the best, Chris. We never liked each other..

Niki, you should think about what you post, because you can burn some serious bridges on this forum. I want to shoot, but I cannot demand it. I enjoy working on the crew, there are a lot of jobs on set you can take pride in. They are not pointless nor meaningless. You are not all knowing, working a crew position will help you learn how things on a set are run. Every set has moments of Chaos, When that happens relax and reflect on the situation before opening your mouth. You open your mouth too soon you'll regret it later. You've already done some good damage to your name.

Remember, this poop doesn't happen overnight. (unless you fortunate enough to have mountains of cash)

These people on these forums can seriously help you, and you show nothing but disrespect to them. Show some appreciation and show a desire to earn your spot. You won't last long going like you are. They are all saying the same thing. Think about it.

Get serious about this, or get out of the forums.

I've never disrespect anyone here. This being a technical forum I tend to shoot the sh-t a bit but if that's rufffles the feathers of some it certianly entertains others and that's why we're in this business, aren't we, to entertain?

So far as set "procedure" I'm really interested in changing that.

I love the logic around here!

You are not very entertaining Niki.

This is not necessarily a TECHNICAL Forum, it's "a Community of Film and Video Professionals" who help in other ways that are not just technical. In such respect, many are discouraging your awful attitude for good reason! That will help you down the road.

Especially for a post thats posted in "Students and First Time Filmmakers" which is funny enough you know where you should put your Posts, but at the same time you act above it! You are in no place to be sporting a 'tude such as yours. and if you must, keep it to yourself.

Niki,

Look I know how you feel. It is frustrating to have the vision of directing and not being able to accomplish that right off the bat. I can understand you probably got off an annoying shoot and and needed to unload but honestly this is not that place to do that. You had some good questions at the bottom of your post if you had just came out and said, "hey I had a frustrating shoot and have some questions..." Because it is true the people on this site are the professionals and you coming just out of school will probably run into some of them, and you can burn bridges with them. I am in the same place stuck "paying my dues as you say" but when I am frustrated I don't unload on the people here I come here for a little guidance. So lets try it a little different next time.

My advice take it or leave it.

Don't worry Niki, with enough hard work and perseverance, you just might get to fire a whole crew someday. :P

:lol: Laughed for hours...classic

Troll alert, Troll alert...

of course I hear the same tale on almost every set. Incidentally, the Director of Photography *is* equal to the director on the set, in some productions. Both are under the Producer, who is the boss of all bosses.

Guest Glen Alexander

You got it wrong.

It should be...

I.can't.crew.I.must.direct!Must.learn.to.stop.talking.like.William.Shatner.Must.stop.making.each.word.i

ts.own.sentence...Spock.

Yeah, that's funny.

This is my last post. I thank everyone who has responded to my threads in the past. I'm not going to become a cinematographer but will continue reading this site's forums. I'm in L.A. now, time to play the game. Thanks for the guidance.

Niki Mundo

Niki,

Just two questions:

Can I ask what entitles you to start at the top?

I know plenty of exceptionally talented people who have worked there way up through the ranks for ten, twenty years and are only finally getting into a position of rank on good productions.

How are you going to gain the experience to be good at what you want to do if you start at the top?

You have got it all wrong. You aren't paying your dues working up through the ranks. Working your way up through the ranks is the best film-school you can get. It teaches you what to do, what not to do, how to handle certain situations, how to handle different types of people, and ofcourse how to deal with the stresses and politics of film productions. And through all this you can learn from others mistakes without it having any affect on your own reputation.

You have to remember talent is nothing without being able to execute it. And in this industry executing your talent is a team effort.

Guest Glen Alexander
Yeah, that's funny.

Niki Mundo

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week, remember to tip your waitresses.

I've thought a bit about this thread since I first read it. While the method of delivery for the sentiment is questionable, it also highlights some important issues that aspiring filmmakers need to be aware of before they embark on a career.

It seems that the primary idea is one of frustration over a system that, at times, can feel like an impenetrable castle. How does a person, young or old, get inside? And not only just "get inside," but be inside doing what it is he wants to do?

Niki's post contains some of the answers to his own questions whether he realizes it or not....

quote 'Niki Mundo' date='May 3 2008, 08:41 AM'

This has been a big few weeks for me here in L.A., trying to find employment in the film industry,

...few weeks? That's kind of akin to a newly graduated doctor wondering why he isn't performing brain surgery on the President. Very few people in this world start at the top and those who do...didn't. For everyone who seems to have it all, there is usually a road behind them where they struggled, learned, and eventually triumphed. The same road exists for those who choose failure. The difference is that those in the second group gave up too soon.

getting no where fast

It takes no time to get "no where," but it always takes time to get someplace else.

and then getting work but not much which is called "paying your dues".

I've never like that saying "paying your dues" much. It connotes a philosophy wherein someone must literally be abused before being given a real opportunity to get on the road to success. I believe that this situation does not exist in the business at all. That label, "paying your dues," is trotted out by those who are just unhappy with the effort that it can take in order to find the success they desire. A better way to describe that "experience" is...experience. Every situation teaches us something about how to succeed in our career. Great movies and those who make them can teach us a lot about how to make great movies too. But less than great movies also teach us a lot about what not to do. Every experience teaches us something as long as we're willing to set aside our frustrations long enough to see what those lessons are.

Well I've decided I don't want to pay my dues, I want to helm and command asap.

Deciding what it is you want to do is indeed the first step. That you wish to do it sooner than later is also not an inherently bad thing. However, hearkening back to the philosophy regarding gaining experience, one might be forced to wonder what kind of "commander" you will be if GIVEN this opportunity to "helm and command" immediately? Do you have the breadth of knowledge in storytelling techniques (see comment about writing below) that will make you an exceptional Director? Do you know what the job functions of every crew person are so that you know how to effectively communicate your wishes? Do you possess the patience it takes to operate within the parameters of limited time and resources? Directing isn't about barking out your "commands" and having a brilliant "film" come out the other end. It IS a collaborative process by its very nature. If a person doesn't have the ability to work within the parameters that the filmmaking process brings with it, then that person should choose a more solitary outlet for his creative impulse.

This student film I work on what a somewhat stupid 1940's film noir throw-back

Whoever is paying for it and is in charge likely doesn't feel that it is "stupid." Your opinion in inconsequential because you have no stake in it. The person who imagined it and who is paying for it sees value TO THEMSELVES therefore they are putting the effort in to create it. Undoubtedly, when you make your own short film (that will be necessary as a calling card), someone on your set will roll his eyes at the stupidity of it and wonder why he has to work on such nonsense.

I'm sure if I continue "paying my dues" I'll be working on car commercials,infomericals and whatever crap until I finally get that cash-cow WB syndicated series when I turn 30. By that time I'll be known whithin the the scene as a hard-working AD or something.

People who have a true passion to succeed will do almost anything it takes to reach that goal. Some are fortunate to meet the right people at the right time who can help them get there sooner. Others have to work their way through life until that combination of effort and opportunity meet. You can't leap from one side of the river to the other. It takes a bridge that you find or build or walking on stepping stones that you choose to walk on to get there.

I have little regard for rank-file positions

Those "rank-file positions" are the skilled and talented people who actually MAKE the movie. Without them, an aspiring filmmaker stands alone inside a dark room with a camera in his hand (if he's sucked up his pride long enough to go get one by himself).

and almost immediately after coming onto this student film set I wanted to tell people what to do!

You wanted to tell people what to do?! But it wasn't your movie. It is someone else's movie and dream. When you put forth the effort to get a project off the ground, then you can "tell" people what to do. But that day, on that set, you were not in charge. So you go in on that day and do the job that you were hired to do or volunteered for... you do that job to the best of your ability and learn whatever you can from the experience. Tomorrow you might be a Director, but today you aren't.

I wanted to fire the DP, a mouthy girl who thought she was the director.

The Director and/or Producer chose that person to DP that film because they liked something about her. Perhaps they already knew her personality and agreed to work with it because of her skill or perhaps they actually wanted that type of person to work with the Director on set. Who knows, but it is their choice and they have their reasons.

What you learned from this experience is that you don't want that kind of person to be a DP on your movies. Smile! Every experience teaches you something and you learned some valuable lessons that day that you never could have learned by reading a book in filmschool.

And then fire the director because she was a mouse and I couldn't understand why she was in charge except her rich mommy was roaming around the set (kick her off the set too.)

Each Director has his or her own style and personality. Some are energetic and some are quiet. I'm currently bouncing between two $100 million + budget films right now with two Directors who couldn't be more opposite. One is energetic and enthusiastic while the other is reserved and does not openly emote. Yet both are directing very major studio movies successfully, with others already on their resumes and more to come.

And as far as why your meek Director was there, that's her business and the business of whoever was financing the project. So she has parents who have the means to invest in their child's dreams. That young woman is fortunate, but it doesn't mean that she will eventually get to have a lifelong career as a film Director. Maybe she will and maybe she won't. She has to prove herself as a talent who can manage a crew (not bark commands at them) and work under the parameters of the process. And her final product has to impress someone at some level if she wishes to continue making movies.

Unless YOU are independently wealthy, you'll have to rely on someone else investing in your skill if they trust that you are capable of doing the job.

Every shot they did I wanted to say something, I would stand there and have the hardest time not saying something!

As well you shouldn't have unless specifically asked for your opinion. It isn't your movie. When you make yours, how willing will YOU be to listen when some kid fresh off the boat decides to tell you that you're doing it all wrong? Perhaps there was a better way for that movie to be made, but it isn't your place to fix it unless you are asked to help. In the meantime, this "paying your dues" experience taught you more lessons as you watched others make choices that didn't work for you. File your memories so you can draw on them later when/if you get the chance for yourself.

Plus I think modern sets are bloated

Everyone on set is there for a specific reason. Movies are too expensive to have useless people standing around doing nothing. The fact is, the process of each "setup" is fairly standard no matter what movie is being made or the budget. If you have one-hundred people on set or just one person, all of those duties still have to get accomplished. If you want to cut the "bloat," all that means is that fewer people will be doing all of the work which translates into it taking more time to get each setup finished before you can move on to the next one. That translates into getting less setups done during each day which then means that you increase the budget because you add days to the schedule or you simply cut out shots or scenes you wanted to get.

You can cut the "bloat," but you don't get something for nothing. Get a less expensive crew in exchange for a cheaper one, means getting less experienced crew and likely less shots during the day of less quality. Quality and experience cost money. Want a good movie then hire a quality crew. Just know that quality crews work consistently and don't need to listen to a "screamer" barking commands at them for three months. A consistent feature Director works on one movie every three years or so. A skilled crewmember can work on at least nine full movies in that same amount of time. There will always be more movies and young know-it-all Directors.

They don't need you. You need them.

and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.

Well, you wouldn't be the first to toss scorn at those who choose acting as a profession. If you despise what they do and them personally so much, perhaps Directing movies, which almost always require the use of Actors, isn't the best choice of a career for you. Why would you actively pursue a career that forces you to work with people you despise?

You can only step on their backs if they bow down to you first. With such a condescending tone directed at them, I doubt anyone will be volunteering to do such a thing.

Stop viewing cast and crew as obstacles. Your attitude instead must change to one of collaboration where you see a project as something where the skills, talent, and experience of many come together to create something new. Directors don't make movies DESPITE everyone else. Directors gather the creative and technical skill and experience of everyone so that the intended art is realized. A sculptor uses a chisel. A painter uses a brush. A writer uses a pen. The cast and crew are the tools of the Director in order to create a story on film. Those people have their own tools to use so they can do their jobs. Some tools are tangible, like hammers and cameras, while other tools are intangible, like experience and creativity. But everyone is bringing whatever they have in their minds and on their belts in order to make a movie. The Director is not THE filmmaker. Everyone involved is necessary and they are all filmmakers.

If you want all the credit, then you have to do all of the work. If you're not willing or able to do that, then perhaps this isn't the career for you.

Agents exist so they can money representing talented and proven people. To have one represent you means that you must prove yourself worthy of having an agent. In the film world, that means proving yourself first without an agent. That means getting your parents or someone else to finance your short or feature film. Or if you have the money in your own account, you invest in yourself. Until you are willing and able to do that, why expect anyone else to invest in you?

Why don't you write them yourself? The rest of the crew is already in your way. Why intentionally invite someone else into your plan to conquer Hollywood? :P

Seriously, there are many roads to Directing and writing is one of them. If you can't do that, then you'll have to do a search for an aspiring writer. Know that those people generally already have their own ideas so the idea of having to work with a condescending wannabe isn't likely going to be high on their priority list. Where you find them is another question. Search writer's forums (similar to this one) or university programs. There is a list of additional resources that could help available on my website (www.whatireallywanttodo.com)

Not precisely sure what it is you're asking here. This is an important point to bring up in regard to communicating effectively. A Director must clearly and concisely communicate his wishes to cast and crew so that everyone knows exactly what needs to be done. There isn't time or money for confusion.

So I'll assume you want to know if there are any inherent advantages to producing and shooting an independent feature film in the Los Angeles area. Well, not necessarily. Locations don't have any inherent benefits aside from being appropriate to the requirements of the story. Those who established Hollywood moved to Southern California first to escape the financial entities back East, but also because So. Cal. has so many diverse landscapes within a relatively short distance. You could conceivably shoot a beach scene on Monday and be in the snowy mountains on Tuesday. There is relatively little rainfall or inclement weather, so scheduling exteriors isn't usually a concern.

Bigger cities require permits if you want to shoot in any public or some private spaces. Some communities don't allow filming at all. You can shoot non-union if the budget is small enough, but you still need permits.

Another advantage to shooting in the Los Angeles area is access to aspiring filmmakers like you. Getting cheap (free) cast and crew isn't usually a large problem, but know that with "cheap" comes inexperience so there will be compromises. However, great art often arises out of necessity. That's where being creative AND experienced comes into play.

The lesson from this thread appears to be that frustration is a part of everyone's life at some point or another as they strive for more than they have. But one can choose to become angry, which almost always results in failure. Or one can choose to channel the frustration in a positive way and learn from every experience along the way. Instead of viewing those around you as obstacles, actively seek out others who may be able to help you get where you'd like to go. In one sense, it may seem as though you are just "using" others in a very selfish way. On some level, there is truth to that. But people tend to sense when they are merely being used and they'll simply stop helping you. So you must strive to form honest relationships wherein you are working together with others. They'll want you around because your skills somehow help them just as they have what you are lacking. And you absolutely must be a pleasant person to work with. Production days run long and having an arrogant jerk around for fourteen hours, six days a week for three months isn't a situation anyone needs from life. There are plenty of other aspiring filmmakers out there who are just as good as you are, if not better, who are cordial and pleasant and collaborative and genuinely thankful. The film industry doesn't need the other kind.

Choose your path and who you decide to step on wisely. There are a lot of people in this business, but it is also a small world and word gets around very quickly. Becoming a working career Director is not impossible, but it does take honest hard passion in order to get to that level. No one will just hand the reigns over to you. Why would they? What have you done to earn it?

Me garsh Brian....how do you have time to write these Magna Carta posts?

I don't have time to read all of it :blink:

R,

Niki:

Thank you.

This is great, I mean, a real soap drama of nonsense sparked by a big mouthed, amateur child, and all

of us wisemen who are wasting 10sec to inform a buffoon that he is a buffoon. If anything, we should

welcome the buffoon to continue being a buffoon...b/c it means he won't be around long and one less

buff to bump into on set; or on the freakin LA highway.

What's even funnier is, I recognized the buffoon's name and wanted to remind myself why I didn't like him;

so I clicked onto this forum and found an instant reminder. But no hard feelings, please don't let the world

change you; and make certain you unite with the looneys in LA