I can't crew-I must direct!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me garsh Brian....how do you have time to write these Magna Carta posts?

I don't have time to read all of it :blink:

R,

:) I just came off a night then day then night string of shoots so I am in a sufficiently dazed state where it's easier to sit and write than it is to go out and enjoy the sunshine.

But don't worry, I've got an early morning hike planned for tomorrow morning. :)

More importantly, there are people out there who are looking for answers to that elusive question: "how do I make it?" I don't claim to have the answer, but I do try to help. In fact, there's an entire book about it coming out very very soon! ;)

• Premium Member

Niki is the only person now on my "ignore posts" list -- that's an accomplishment all by itself -- but he (or she) is veering into internet forum abuse and angling to get kicked out of this forum with these childish, silly, juvenile, and unprofessional attempts at getting some attention. I suspect that the name is false unless "Niki Mundo" is also an idiot on top of being immature.

Not to say that being childish, silly, juvenile, and unprofessional will necessarily be an impediment to success in Hollywood.

:) I just came off a night then day then night string of shoots so I am in a sufficiently dazed state where it's easier to sit and write than it is to go out and enjoy the sunshine.

But don't worry, I've got an early morning hike planned for tomorrow morning. :)

More importantly, there are people out there who are looking for answers to that elusive question: "how do I make it?" I don't claim to have the answer, but I do try to help. In fact, there's an entire book about it coming out very very soon! ;)

Brian:

I really do think it is great you kept your cool, unlike me! :P It is very hard to deal with a person who keeps whining like a little spoiled brat who thinks she deserves the world by virtue of just being her. AND then she gets violent in her speech towards people who are just doing their thing, for no better reason than her being jealous of their better luck or harder efforts, or whatever she gripes about. It is like Columbine in the making. I certainly think it this type of hateful speech should NOT be allowed anywhere, let alone in a in a forum such as this one. When a childish temper-tantrum-throwing person starts posting about "beating people down" here, it is time to put a stop to it as far as I am concerned.

Still, you handled it with class!

"Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground."

I'm sure A listers are gunna be begging to get on to your project.

And about you not being able to find much work off Craigslist :

I'm a teenager...let me say that again...teenager- fresh out of high school. started with no resume at all since I didn't have any experience to list.

-Yet, from the Los Angeles crew gigs section I've managed to complete 2 successful internships. Found 5 PA gigs and a even a small Grip job. I'm currently on my 3rd internship and it has just led me to find a steady paying job.

I found ALL but 1 through Craigslist. (the other was off of Mandy) I didn't even apply to the majority of the PA gigs on CL because also being a student, my schedule is very limited.- I've been incredibly picky location wise as well. I owe a lot to Craigslist. None of the projects I worked on were "seedy" and I've met a ton of awesome people. It is not "pointless." Maybe CL is not the problem.

Not to say that being childish, silly, juvenile, and unprofessional will necessarily be an impediment to success in Hollywood.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dave, gotta love ya buddy!!

Listen, Nikki, you want to go straight from being unemployed to being a world class director, it's VERY simple, let me tell you how to do it. Write a GREAT, original script, Not mediocre, not average, Hell not even very good, but GREAT!! Then hold it hostage until the powers that be let you direct. That's EXACTLY what the Wachowski Brothers did with the Matrix. It's the basic formula to becoming a director without paying your dues. There are 2 entry level jibs in Hollywood Production Assistant and Director. That's not necessarily a complement to directors who have not paid their dues. I personally hate crew work, it's a hard, back breaking, many times thankless job, sometimes frustrating, always under appreciated, BUT the one thing working as a grip has done for me is teach me to have tremendous respect for the people who work with me and to understand their problems and needs in a way only personal experience can do. That knowledge alone is worth every sore muscle and tight back I ever had.

As an Indy director, there's every chance in the world that EVERYONE on set INCLUDING the actors that you seem to think so little of, will be moving lights and carrying cable. That's the nature of indy film. You're either going ti be an indy and will have to kiss the crew's ass because you can't afford to pay them what they're worth or you'll have to kiss the producer's ass because they have all the money and you can't get you're film made without them. So get over it. Decide if you actually are geared to be in the film business because there are a LOT of businesses where you can be TOTALLY in charge and with film NEVER you will be. If absolute power is what you want, forget it, you'll never get it. Even Peckinpah, Kubrick and O. Selznick eventually had to answered to someone.

There is no free lunch. You know I actually have a healthy respect for arrogance when that arrogance can be backed up with talent. You've shown you have the arrogance, time for you to show the talent to back it up. You say you have some script ideas, well then put 'em down into a script or ten, shop 'em around. You want an agent, submit your work to an agency or a hundred and see who thinks you are as talented as YOU think you are. In other works my dear, anyone can TELL me how great they are, I'm more interested in having them SHOW me how great they are. You want a movie career? NO ONE is going to hand it to you. You're gonna have to EARN it. So come on, baby, let's see what you got! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

>I've never like that saying "paying your dues" much. It connotes a philosophy wherein

> someone must literally be abused before being given a real opportunity to get on the

> road to success.

Er... yes.

It's what the military does as well. It's been posited as being either character or team building, when it is in fact quite the opposite and at best leads to a sort of common-enemy syndrome.

P

I'm glad to see many of you give your selves a similar "out" when dealing with this character.

We all know that next week it could be announced on ET that Nikki Mundo just signed a 20 million dollar deal with Universal to direct five major movies. ET will love the whole story, "living in a van down by the river," to multi-millionaire film director over night.

BTW, I always thought Nikki was a she :blink:

R,

Guest Glen Alexander
ET will love the whole story, "living in a van down by the river," to multi-millionaire film director over night.

ha ha damn funny, classic Farely.

We all know that next week it could be announced on ET that Nikki Mundo just signed a 20 million dollar deal with Universal to direct five major movies. ET will love the whole story, "living in a van down by the river," to multi-millionaire film director over night.

Well, that's the story that the publicist would put out, thereby selling "the dream" to thousands more aspiring filmmakers who then believe that they can also bypass "paying your dues" and become the next Spielberg right out of school.

Niki's frustration is one that many have because the entertainment media like to tell those overnight-success stories that really aren't accurate. The fallacy is also fed by the multitude of books on the shelves which claim to give a "soup to nuts" recipe for creating the perfect indy movie to become rich. Filmschools also don't help because most fail to go beyond the theory to explain the ofttimes harsh realities of having an actual career and life in the biz. It's much more fun and profitable to ignore reality and feed the dreams.

But hopefully, forums like this can be used as a positive resource to help aspiring filmmakers get some actual and useful information from working professionals. Filmschool is fine and some of the books out there are excellent, but for the most part, aspiring filmmakers have to jump into the pond without knowing what really awaits them. As frustrating as it is for them to find out the truth, it can be just as frustrating for professionals to continually hear the same questions and complaints. Of course those comments come in a variety of ways, some cordial and some not so much, so it makes it difficult for busy professionals to have the patience to see through it to find the real questions that underlie the contentiousness. There is no one correct way to respond, but as this thread illustrates in an excellent way, aspiring filmmakers will happen upon all manner of people in their quest for success and they have to be ready to deal with it. Some will answer while others will outright ignore. That's part of the lesson to be learned by Niki and others like him. That's something that most filmschools and most books don't bother to teach.

• Premium Member
Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.

I know this sounds dark,violent and "bad attitudey" but I could care less. I'm gonna step up on the backs of these people.

And how can I get a agent?

For starters, don't let them read your post.

Well, that's the story that the publicist would put out, thereby selling "the dream" to thousands more aspiring filmmakers who then believe that they can also bypass "paying your dues" and become the next Spielberg right out of school.

You also need to have extremely good people skills - you need the support of the people in the industry and have to develop relationships with them. That doesn't mean being loud, just that they feel positive towards you.

It helps if you've got an award winning short(s) or one that has done well on the festival circuit. Mightn't get you a job, but helps to lift you from the crowd.

Why isn't it mandatory that everyone have read AND understood Ron Dexter's site before posting?

http://www.rondexter.com

Wow 2-3 months of reading right there!

Maybe you have a point, only people with proven professional credentials can post?

R,

• Premium Member
Maybe you have a point, only people with proven professional credentials can post?

No, just a proven professional attitude (as opposed to our thread-initiator). You can have a professional attitude, work habits, etc. and still be a rank beginner (I guess that's the definition of a killer PA, no?).

• Premium Member
Plus I think modern sets are bloated and actors are losers for the most part. I wanna beat ,really beat, alot of them into the ground.

I know this sounds dark,violent and "bad attitudey" but I could care less. I'm gonna step up on the backs of these people.

Hi Niki,

Well, yours is an interesting outlook on filmaking, I'll give you that. But you're a little late to the party:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overnight

Good luck!

-Fran

post-7375-1209961581.jpg

Guest Glen Alexander
Wow 2-3 months of reading right there!

R,

Didn't imply that, but I always wonder by that site first before posting a question. If you read everything and understand everything there, you probably wouldn't need to post. :lol: But lots of good tips about SET ETIQUETTE, unions, gear, real practical. I like that image of a cinematographer on that monster tripod with an old BL 1 or 3??? To me, a real pro, a cinematographer does what it takes for the shot with not a lot of fancy gear just camera, film, lens and great perspective.

I'd like to see the original poster Niki Mundo blow up at someone from Local 399.... that's the Teamsters.

Edited by Glen Alexander

• Premium Member
So apt, so apt!

Hi Nate,

Yeah, I had the feeling I'd seen Niki's story before, then I remembered watching Troy Duffy self-destruct in the documentary Overnight.

What's really sad is to think that Niki's trying hard be the biggest azz in Los Angeles and--compared to Troy--he's not even good at that!

Niki--you're just going to have to try harder. :rolleyes:

-Fran