HVX intercut with film

Todd Campbell

Hello everyone. I've been coming to this site for a couple of years now, but this is one of only two posts I've made so far. Anyway, I have a question regarding using the HVX for a pick up shot in a 16mm film. I have a scene that was shot at night with Vision 2 7229. One shot (a three second insert of a guy's arm) came out a little soft, and rather than spending money that I don't really have at the moment on a re-shoot with that stock, I was curious about whether or not I should try it first with the HVX (coupled with some corrections in post of course). I'm not looking for a quick fix...Wait, yes I am. Does anyone have any insight for me? Thanks!

• Premium Member

Sure why not. You can try to emulate the look as well as you can and then you can work it in post to match. Will it be perfect? Might be close or not, depends on you and how well you can recreate a look, and how well you can work the magic in post to bring it closer. And of course how well you know how to set the camera to give you the best quality for the shot.

Sure why not. You can try to emulate the look as well as you can and then you can work it in post to match. Will it be perfect? Might be close or not, depends on you and how well you can recreate a look, and how well you can work the magic in post to bring it closer. And of course how well you know how to set the camera to give you the best quality for the shot.

Thanks a lot Walter! I think I'll give it a whirl this week.

There are anywhere between one and a couple HVX shots in "The Departed", they're all insert shots from what I understand. To be honest, I didn't notice them so I'd guess one insert in your film will be fine. Let us know how it works out, good luck.

There are anywhere between one and a couple HVX shots in "The Departed", they're all insert shots from what I understand. To be honest, I didn't notice them so I'd guess one insert in your film will be fine. Let us know how it works out, good luck.

really? any way to find out which shots? I am having a tough time believing that.

A handful of insert shots toward the end. They were apparently shot by VFX Supervisor Rob Legato like hours before they were needed for the DI.

Exactly, that's what I heard from Rob Legato at a lecture he gave at AFI. One of the shots featured a UPS man standing in for either Matt Damon or Leonardo DiCaprio's shoulder in an insert, seriously. Thelma Schoonmaker cut them in and color corrected them minutes before the DI was output to film.

I've seen two presentations given by Rob Legato explaining how he's created sequences and visual effects for big budget movies with next to nothing, he's an extremely talented and inventive filmmaker who understands exactly how to cheat for the camera. Seeing his work reminds you how important it is to have a strong idea of what you need to see and what you don't.

A handful of insert shots toward the end. They were apparently shot by VFX Supervisor Rob Legato like hours before they were needed for the DI.

That's pretty crazy. I'm looking forward to seeing how this is going to work out.