Reach for Me

Illya Friedman

This is just the press release from the momentous event this on Monday night. The 4K in 4K at the Landmark was as perfect a projected image as I've ever seen. Amazing. I can't wait till more people get the chance to see DALSA images projected like this!

I.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/i...gth/-2129973757

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, May 05, 2008 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX News Network) ----DALSA Corporation (TSX: DSA) -

"Reach for Me," the first feature-length motion picture to be shot and produced entirely in 4K, will be screened tonight on Sony's 4K Digital Cinema Projection Systems. Directed by Levar Burton and produced by AMediaVision Productions, the movie was captured using DALSA's Origin 4K cinematography camera, with 4K image processing and digital intermediate (DI) managed by Post Logic.

The screening will be held at Landmark Theatre's flagship theatre, The Landmark, in Los Angeles' Westside Pavilion. "Reach for Me" is a heartwarming story about life's challenges and how love, compassion and humor can bridge the difficult passages facing two friends who are generations apart.

"This screening is a perfect example of the practical reality that 4K technology has become," said Andrew Stucker, director industry relations for Sony Electronics' digital cinema division. "From end to end, movie-goers will be able to immerse themselves in the incredible experience that 4K resolution can provide."

The picture's producer, Mark Wolfe commented that "having a complete end to end 4K workflow gave us all the creative and time advantages of digital moviemaking all the while maintaining the beautifully rich look of traditional film production, without adding any additional cost to the production process."

Sony's SRX-R220 digital cinema projection system, capable of outputting 18,000 lumens and 8 million pixels or resolution, will be used for the screening.

According to Rob Hummel, President of DALSA Digital Cinema, the production of "Reach for Me," clearly demonstrates that 4K technology is the future of digital cinema. "4K projection technology empowers the digital cinema pipeline to display images equal to the most pristine film answer print," he said, "so whether the image is a 4K scanned 35mm film, or photographed with a DALSA camera, 4K projection ensures the audience will see an image without compromise, and that every seat in the house gets a spectacular picture."

DALSA's Origin 4K cinematography camera with a CODEX digital disk recorder was used during production and all data was archived to LTO 3 tape. Post Logic used a Baselight 8 system during the digital intermediate process.

"Having assembled a top talent and engineering team, Post Logic is well equipped to handle the increased bandwidth and file processing demands of a 4K DI," said Larry Birstock at Post Logic. "A true end-to-end 4K workflow is now a viable alternative for movie makers."

"Reach for Me" is produced by Charlene Blaine-Schulenburg, Susan R. Rodgers and Mark Wolfe. The movie stars Oscar nominees Seymour Cassel and Alfre Woodard, as well as Johnny Whitworth (3:10 to Yuma), Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls, Party of Five) and Adrienne Barbeau (The Fog, Escape from New York). The worldwide rights for "Reach for Me" are currently available.