REAL DP's/Directors on RED

Shawn Booth

Check out RED's home page, bottom right corner. Interviews.

Hope this helps with those of you looking to hear from real DP's about the RED.

I can say, I know/have worked for one of those who are interviewed. I was amazed he embraced the RED. But I'm also amazed how many haven't.

I can say, I know/have worked for one of those who are interviewed. I was amazed he embraced the RED. But I'm also amazed how many haven't.

Hiya Shawn!

Could you provide a link?

I've never been to the red homepage and when I tried googling I got many hits on the red camera but didn't find the home page. :(

Thanks!

love

Freya

Given that the RED has only been out for around for nearly year and it still hasn't got what might be described as its full spec final firmware - I'd take that as more or less build 16 - the camera has done extremely well. There are still post production issues to be sorted, because you just can't walk into a post production house and expect them to handle all new RED RAW, CINEFORM RAW and ARRIRAW formats.

The big advantage that RED has is the Codec. The 4k Dalsa generated vast quantities of data which was was a real issue for feature films - there are now suitable compression codecs for the Dalsa. It only recently that the Dalsa shot a feature and it took a while for the Viper, with it's volume of data. It took Moviecam years to get accepted.

I suspect there will be a lot of waiting to see and quite a few RED's are also replacing older 35mm cameras - a 20 year old Arri can work very happily and get a rather neat upgrade from Kodak and Fuji. The latter still have advantages, so if you've the budget there's no reason to change.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Hiya Shawn!

Could you provide a link?

I've never been to the red homepage and when I tried googling I got many hits on the red camera but didn't find the home page. :(

Thanks!

love

Freya

Just of the off-chance, did you try "www.red.com" :lol:

But here's a link to www.red.com , to save you typing www.red.com into the address bar.

• Premium Member

My only question is, how does one go about getting a one-name name?

In seriousness, I have on critique, here. I wish they'd've shown some of the footage these people were talking about. It's all well and good to hear they support the camera, but why! Let me see an image, even a down-rezzed web one from that beach; just to satisfy my own interest. This isn't a red bash at all, it is a tool I'd be happy to use when the moment suites, and/or the aesthetic or budget dictates. It's just that, well show me what these people are talking about; ya know?

Just of the off-chance, did you try "www.red.com" :lol:

But here's a link to www.red.com , to save you typing www.red.com into the address bar.

Thanks Luke!

I did try typing www.redone.com in (as thats what the camera is called right?) but got rather nasty results so quickly decided it wasn't a good idea to type random url's! ;) I don't think I would have guessed it would be just red.com anyway as that is such a short url and I would have guessed something like that was gone years ago. I'm sure these things seem obvious if you are in the know but I know very little about the camera beyond a very brief encounter with one once, so I didn't know.

To be honest as well, I kind of assumed that the original posting was an invite to people not in the know because it's stuff on the front page of the home page thing, so most people who are already into it all probably know all about whats there already.

Ironically I've still not got to look at the webpage properly as when it came up the computer seemed to get locked into a loop of downloading stuff or something (hard disk started going crazy). I can't understand why as it looked like a straightforward enough page but maybe there was something more complicated I didn't get to see? Anyway it quickly bought my entire browser down, so I'll have to wait till later when I can look at it on a fancier computer.

Anyway thanks for your help! What I saw of the page looked intresting, with the picture of the scarlett and the blue ray drive thing. Should be intresting reading!

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Errr.

There's been a few *real* dp's posting about red here too you know......

jb

There's been a few *real* dp's posting about red here too you know......

I think he meant there are finally "real" dp's on reduser talking about the camera. not the "omg! thanks jim" dp's ;)

Disclaimer: For those who can't tell - I'm joking (I wonder if the smiley faces icons are offensive and mean the opposite in some cultures?) and in no way impling that those who regularly visit reduser aren't real dp's.

Edited by Will Earl

Some of the interviews feel staged, but the one with Tony Richmond really struck me. He discussed it as a cinematographer, not as a cost cutter or some kind of "reclaiming the art form" as some of the others. He discussed it as a tool, how he began to use it, and honestly, that interview alone has me re-assessing the use of Red for my own work.

Egads, did I just say that?

Well, doesn't matter, for my next job it does not have the lenses needed.

Edited by Nate Downes

A DP is a DP regardless of the camera they use. I had been reading some of the other RED threads here and found a few posters who wanted to hear from "actual DP's". I just wanted to point them in the direction. There are respected DP's out there using this camera system and a couple talked about it with RED. Nothing more.

Well, doesn't matter, for my next job it does not have the lenses needed.

You can use almost any lens out there with the RED. It comes standard with a PL mount, which can be swapped for other mount types.

You can use almost any lens out there with the RED. It comes standard with a PL mount, which can be swapped for other mount types.

PL mount won't work either, too far away from the film plane. I'm using some Leica M-mount lenses. Anything further away than a C is too far away.

• Premium Member

Please post a link next time, it's just good net-etiquette. The bottom right corner of that web page cycles through several links and took me a minute to figure out this is what you were talking about:

http://www.red.com/interviews

• Premium Member
I liked the interviews, but I was surprised at how terribly bad the headroom was in most of the interviews. I'd think you'd want to have good composition in marketing ads.

Hi Brad,

As they shot in 4k they can easily fix that ! ;)

Stephen

Please post a link next time, it's just good net-etiquette. The bottom right corner of that web page cycles through several links and took me a minute to figure out this is what you were talking about:

http://www.red.com/interviews

My bad - will do next time.

I just figured since I was posting under the RED section of this forum, those reading would have known where to go. But you're correct, it is good etiquette.

Why do you find it amazing?

Because of his attitude toward anything not film. This was a few years ago when I worked for him, but he was very firm about everything worth wild having to be shot on film.

He's an amazing DP, tons of talent. Was happy to see he gave the RED a chance and that he found it to be everything that it is.

• Premium Member
PL mount won't work either, too far away from the film plane. I'm using some Leica M-mount lenses. Anything further away than a C is too far away.

Having looked in the front of a Red at a trade show, I'd guess that the OLPF is far enough from the chip to be a source of grief trying to put on a C mount. A Leica M front for the Red might be doable. The new Epic looks like it's designed to make that kind of change easier.

Leica M-mount was used on the old VistaVision cameras. A friend of mine scored some Leica lenses on a dumpster dive for some Vista junk.

Here's a handy list of flange-focal distances and more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lens_mounts

-- J.S.

Guest Glen Alexander
Having looked in the front of a Red at a trade show, I'd guess that the OLPF is far enough from the chip to be a source of grief trying to put on a C mount. A Leica M front for the Red might be doable. The new Epic looks like it's designed to make that kind of change easier.

Leica M-mount was used on the old VistaVision cameras. A friend of mine scored some Leica lenses on a dumpster dive for some Vista junk.

Here's a handy list of flange-focal distances and more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lens_mounts

-- J.S.

Scroll down and look at the lens this person is using . ha ha ha ha

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/tg-daily-...meras,5156.html