Beginners Sound, advice and tips

Joseph Nesbitt

Hi, I'm trying to learn about sound but so far the only thing I really know is that sound is the most important thing to the production, and that you should get the mic as close as possible. This is definitely not enough to know so does anyone have any advice, or links?

Hi, I'm trying to learn about sound but so far the only thing I really know is that sound is the most important thing to the production, and that you should get the mic as close as possible. This is definitely not enough to know so does anyone have any advice, or links?

Joseph,

I've got a number of links available on my website that have some information about sound. Just click on the additional resources page. There are also some fine books written that specifically focus on sound. Visit www.whatireallywanttodo.com/resources.htm

You might also like to browse the IATSE Local 695 site: http://www.695.com

Coffey Sound has a user forum much like this one: http://www.coffeyinteractive.com/phpbb2/index.php

And there is a Newsgroup called RAMPS where professional Sound Recordists and equipment manufacturers interact. You can reach RAMP through Coffey Sound or by going to this address: http://www.coffeyinteractive.com/phpbb2/ramps.php

• Premium Member

Buy a REALLY good mike, plan on spending half your sound equipment budget on the mike, mount, and fishpole. You'll get various opinions as to what the best mikes are but the Sennheiser MKH416 is on many people's list of good mikes. Schoeps, Beyer, and AKG make some pretty darn good ones too. Modern electronics have got so good that to use anything but the best mikes throws sound quality away before it even gets into the recorder.

Guest Glen Alexander
Buy a REALLY good mike, plan on spending half your sound equipment budget on the mike, mount, and fishpole. You'll get various opinions as to what the best mikes are but the Sennheiser MKH416 is on many people's list of good mikes. Schoeps, Beyer, and AKG make some pretty darn good ones too. Modern electronics have got so good that to use anything but the best mikes throws sound quality away before it even gets into the recorder.

I like the MKH418 and some matched pairs of Earthworks would be nice.

I actually was able to get that senheiser MKH416 believe it or not so that's covered, thank you for all of your advice guys, Bryan that site is incredible, good job on that and keep up the good work, and thaks for your help guys