Your top 5 female DP's

Jacqueline think you ought to tell me who yours are , its a difficult one this . Ellen Kurass [ check spelling] Sandi Sissel , both american Mandy Walker ACS seems to be flavour of the month at the moment Cinders Forshaw BSC i taught her all she knows . thats about it at the moment.

Well in my experience the only people he would allow to get away with it was the sparks nice young fit men the ones he liked from Lee Lighting who did build the " Wendy Light" for him . Angela was a lady so she was safe . john .

• Premium Member

Moving right along, gentlemen... *cough*

From all the influx of "ranking" threads recently (a hub can be found here) in this very subforum and the General Discussions, this one is really interesting, particularly in light of a nasty "women in film" thread here where I posted several strong comments in light of what ciny.com is in my view standing for ( 1 / 2 ), plus on a somewhat existing lack of appreciation for the faced societal problems (I wrote about that here in a different thread after having been introduced to Vicky Jewson of "Lady Godiva Oxford" fame ? she worked with George Stephenson in the UK and Agnes Goddard in FR).

Whereas it took me one minute to assemble my top 5 cinematographers for this post here, it took my quite a lengthy strolling through my library and a cup of tea to come up with 5 female DoPs... exemplifying already debated issues... :huh:

I would say:

Danièle Huillet (filmmaker, not primarily DoP)

Barbara Kopple (Direct Cinema documentarist, not primarily DoP, but as this is my own working area, I include her)

Kristin Glover (ASC by now?)

Sue Gibson, BSC

Madelyn Most

Sabeena Gadihoke (her Indian films might be difficult to track down outside the "British Empire / Commonwealth" cultural area; she participated in the "Women behind the Camera" documentary, something to check out ? if you actually don't already know it, Jacqueline ;))

P.S.: Wow, John, you tutored Cinders Forshaw? Gosh, I would love to apprentice with you, then... She DoP'd "Tipping the Velvet" starring Rachael Stirling (Diana Rigg's daughter), didn't she? She also worked on that film with Christian Slater as Churchill... can't remember the title, but I remember scenes from a plug by Jonathan Ross...

EDIT: acknowledging some expansion here and there.

• Premium Member
Yes Michael she did she how do i put this ? was very suited to the subject matter .

Quite true, my friend, quite true! B)

(I would have loved to come up with a suitably witty quote by Oscar Wilde or Stephen Fry, but I couldn't... so much for my over-education getting me through life :lol: )

• Premium Member
I'm interested in exploring female DP's work, who are your top 5?

Jacqueline...

Hi Jacqueline,

"Salaam Bombay" is a great film, 1st feature by dir. Mira Nair and DP'd by Sandi Sissel, who has her whole own commentary track on the DVD.

Really interesting.

(I wish that there were more DP commentary tracks.)

"November" with Courteny Cox is fun to watch because it was shot on a DVX-100, went to film-out and had a theatrical release. DP'd by Nancy Scheiber, ASC,

who is on the commentary track.

Guest Tim Partridge

I cannot believe that Maryse Alberti has not been mentioned so far:

http://www.cinematographers.nl/PaginasDoPh/alberti.htm

A friend of mine "sparked" a no-budget short film shot a few years ago for a female DP called Nanu Segal. He had only great things to say about her. I was in the Odeon cinema last Christmas and saw her name on the poster for SHROOMS! Made me double take, remembering that name from five years ago...

• 10 months later...

Lisa Rinzler is someone I respect. She's won independent spirit awards, worked with Wim Wenders, won an emmy...

Barbara Kopple's work on her early docs is as good as it gets - but serves to prove a point that women often have to "hire themselves" in order to work as much as they would like.

Maryse Alberti gets my vote - she helped make VELVET GOLDMINE look like a big budget film (it wasn't) and she shoots great docs, too and recently shot THE WRESTLER.

Mandy Walker's work on Australia certainly made a lot of people stand up and take notice.

Ellen Kuras shot ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, SUMMER OF SAM and BLOW - all three vet challenging stories to tell and her work speaks for itself.

And yes, it took me entirely too long to think of all these names, despite the fact that I've worked with two of them in the past.

• Premium Member

Amy Vincent, ASC is very good.

There's a new rising star named Rain Li, a protege of Doyle. What I've seen is very nice.

Carolyn Chen is a commercials and music video veteran - very good.

Obviously Ellen Kuras and Mandy Walker and many others.