interview 101

Ralph Tabith

So I am looking for temping work, telesales, yeah that sounds like a good idea. Worst interview I have honestly ever had. Apparently I lack motivation, passion etc etc. How can you get passionate about selling internet packages to unsuspecting innocent people. Am I missing something here? Should people actually get excited over prospects like this? What is going on. I feel terrible after that interview, it really irks me when someone says, "wheres your passion?" But the interviewer has only just met me.

How can they pass judgment so quick like that. So I am a bit quiet and don't jump around much. So? That doesn't make people less passionate about things. What am I doing going for interviews like this. I feel dejected.

"Well i hope youre more passionate when you go try interviews for jobs in the media," What? How can you say that? You're basing a character assessment on a 10 minute meeting? i dont know.... :(

I was a telemarketer throughout college. If you felt bad during the interview, don't be. You missed a bullet. You would feel much worse once you became a telemarketer. Trust me, its why almost everyone in my call center was on speed or coke or meth. They needed something to pepp them up to seem excited about the crap we were pushing on people.

I told one call it was an interesting job and was thinking about making a movie about it (after we talked movies and how I was studying it) she said to me in the most sincere way...'sounds like a really boring movie.' yep. she was dead on (she did buy a vacation to branson missouri from me though). Boiler room was the only film to put excitement into a job like that (and trust me EVERY telemarketing training session begins and ends with clips of boiler room, no mater what call center you work. everyone thinks they are alec baldwin.)

consider yourself lucky and persue your passion. telemarketing is a one way ticket to burnt out ville (and perhaps a wicked substance abuse problem...i was lucky to dodge both.)

When I lived in LA during the 80s, I owned an office supply telemarketing business. I started out doing sales and eventually opened my own office and had a dozen sales people working for me. I started sell over the phone because it was a good job for an actor. I made good money and had a lot of free time PLUS I could practice my accents all day long :D like one day, I'd be French, the next day I'd be Swiss the next day, I'd alternate between English and a guy from Brooklyn. I made up stories to entertain the people I was trying to sell, it was fun. But sales isn't a job for everyone. You kinda have to have certain qualities to do it and getting people to like you in a minute or less, FORGET about 10 minutes, is one of them. If they like you, they're gonna be much more likely to buy from you so that's a quality you gotta have if you're gonna be successful at it.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the interview and what this guy had to say about you. All this guy's evaluation means is you're probably not cut out to be a telemarketer......big deal, it's not the only job on Earth you know. It's not like you come from a long line of telemarketers and your grandfather is gonna spit on you at the next reunion because you shamed the family honor. This guy may have saved you from a few months of frustration, disappointment, boredom and the humiliation of being fired by NOT hiring you. Find something you are more suited for, maybe bar tending or office work. There are a LOT of temp jobs out there. Hell you may be more suited to construction or home health care. EVERYBODY has certain gifts and shortcomings and if not being able to sell over the phone is your only shortcoming, you're WAY ahead of the curve!

ALSO If you think this deal is such a ripoff, why would you want the job anyway? You as much as said, this company bilks little old ladies out of their retirement money by selling them bogus internet packages, why would you want to participate in something like that? They have a name for people with a passion for ripping other people off, they're called criminals and con artists so MAYBE it's good you DON'T have a passion for that particular job. I'm sure when you have a interview for a film work, you'll be plenty passionate, so don't worry about it. B)

Thanks for that, I shouldnt let things get to me too much. I always let things get to me, I cant help it but I need to find a strong skin from somewhere fast. -thing is I was thinking, perhaps you need the gift of the gab to be some big time director or rather a particular kind of director. I believe everyone can direct a film, but alot of those films - from people who perhaps think they couldnt take the helm would end up with unconventional films. I suppose what I am trying to say is that in the interview it made me question my leadership skills. But i have hope that in certain situations lots of people can display those characteristics, including me. its what people DO that matters I suppose and not what they speak -

Don't sweat it. It's impossible to drum up passion for a job that you really don't feel passionately about.

You'll be better off in the long run looking for a job that you enjoy, rather than just jumping at any old job that someone says is good for you.

Thanks for that, I shouldnt let things get to me too much. I always let things get to me, I cant help it but I need to find a strong skin from somewhere fast. -thing is I was thinking, perhaps you need the gift of the gab to be some big time director or rather a particular kind of director. I believe everyone can direct a film, but alot of those films - from people who perhaps think they couldnt take the helm would end up with unconventional films. I suppose what I am trying to say is that in the interview it made me question my leadership skills. But i have hope that in certain situations lots of people can display those characteristics, including me. its what people DO that matters I suppose and not what they speak -

A gift of gab doesn't make you a great leader or particularly effective in directing people any more than being able to skip rope makes you a great boxer. Some of the greatest directors in history barely said 2 words to their cast and crew at any given time BUT the 2 words they did say were the right words at the right time. The ONLY qualities that a phone salesman has that would help in the film business is in the producer's office. It might help you pitch a movie idea, secure a location or talk a star into working for you, but as for the actual nuts and bolts of directing, that takes more leadership ad a creative instinct than anything else. A good director inspires people to be better than they would normally be and sees things in a way that's fresh and unique. It never hurts be be able to sell someone on something when the need arrises but the other stuff is far more important. Besides, take it from a pro, salesmanship is a trait that, with a little practice, can be learned. B)