camera test for commercial

Hi!

I´ve a job as a 1st AC next week on a commercial.

It´s supposed to be one day testing and two days shooting.

Could you give me some tips about testing for commercial, it´s going to be on 35mm with the ARRI ST.

what happens with the film I shoot for the testing? How am I going to take a look at it if the next day we´re already shooting?

another question: how do you normally test lenses during prep. (please give details!)

Thanks for help,

cheers. Gigi

The film you shoot for the reg test / framing charts / etc should be sent off to the lab for rush processing while you're still checking out. If you cannot arrange to view the projected negative after it gets processed, the lab should be able to take a peek at it and let you know if there are any immediate and noticeable problems. Talk to the production manager and make sure they have let the lab know that this will be happening.

Most (good) rental houses will be able to project the lenses to show you their quality and sharpness. If they can't do this you'll have to rely on your own eyes thru the finder to judge the lenses' quality. Use the sharpness chart in your checkout booth / room at the full range of aperture and focus at different distances and if the lens doesn't look sharp, doesn't focus true to the barrel markings, or just looks like an old beat-up piece of glass talk to the rental techs, as well as production, about the problem -- and work out a solution.

It can be a hectic day, especially since you'll start shooting the next morning (leaving little time to deal with the problems that may arise), but keep a level head and deal with all of this stuff as systematically as possible and you'll be fine.