Professional Audio Evaluation

Guest Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander
Same place I've always been.

So how are you enjoying France?

(As in "how is it possible"?)

According to Marianne Faithful, Lucy Jordan jumped off a rooftop when she realized she was never going to ride through Paris in a sportscar with the warm wind in her hair.

But also keep in mind, it's a dubious pleasure that will be forever denied to Jim Jannard, and fellow billionaire Ron Perelman :lol:

I like France actually but of course where else can I hang out at Orsay, Rodin, Picasso Museums? A place where people actually like and do read BOOKS and go to cinemas? A place where you can see original movies on the big screen. I actually saw the original 3:10 Yuma in Paris on big screen, new version doesn't come close. A place where you can sit at a pub and get in on discussions about Sartre, Nietsche, Kant, nouvelle vague, art, or listen to a variety of music like nowhere else. Nothing not to like.

It's only a innuendo she jumped off rooftop... supposedly she was carried off in an ambulance. :huh:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glen Alexander
Did you plug my name into a search engine? :blink:

That's even worse than techo-babble, internet stalking. . .

and I actually was looking for a 250 back for a Nikon...

• Premium Member
I like France actually but of course where else can I hang out at Orsay, Rodin, Picasso Museums? A place where people actually like and do read BOOKS and go to cinemas? A place where you can see original movies on the big screen. I actually saw the original 3:10 Yuma in Paris on big screen, new version doesn't come close. A place where you can sit at a pub and get in on discussions about Sartre, Nietsche, Kant, nouvelle vague, art, or listen to a variety of music like nowhere else. Nothing not to like.

It's only a innuendo she jumped off rooftop... supposedly she was carried off in an ambulance. :huh:

Point of order gentlemen.

"Innuendo" is Italian for "suppository", you mean it's implied. :lol:

The Ballad of Lucy Jordan is an American song, originally recorded, believe it or not, by Dr Hook (and the Medicine Show).

In that setting it makes more sense, the plight of an American woman approaching middle age, who we presume has been talked into sacrificing her adolescent dreams of seeing the world for the benefit of some white-collar tedium merchant's dreams of suburban respectibility with a house and 2.4 children.

For her to be carried off through the streets of Paris in an ambulance would surely necessiate her actually living in Paris, and if that was the case, I can't imagine how it would have been that impossible for her to organize a one-day outing in a rented sportscar occasionally. :rolleyes:

I always thought the last verse referred to some sort of afterlife, where she is in some sort of happier place.

What has all this to do with audio anyway, apart from being a recording?

• Premium Member
Did all of the 'offspring' shows get banished to cable? Isn't that like channel 58, out of "57 with nothin' on"

As far as I know they are all on Free-to-Air, and all shot with 35mm Panavision film cameras.

However the plots are getting more and more contrived and implausible, and I don't bother watching them much anymore.

• Premium Member
"L&O Special Victims Unit" : 35mm Panavision

"L&O Criminal Intent" & "L&O" (the Mothership) : Super 16mm Arri SR3

I haven't heard back yet from my email, but I'll take your word for it.

Do you know when the last two shows went to 16mm?

And IS the Mother Ship going to be shot on RED?

Edited by Keith Walters

What I heard is that they will shoot 1 or 2 old scripts as a real world test to see

how much it will "slow down" their usual pace. They move pretty fast.

I think they switched to super 16 either last season or one before.

What I heard is that they will shoot 1 or 2 old scripts as a real world test to see

I think they switched to super 16 either last season or one before.

Yeah, but before that, only the pilot was shot on 16mm, and they switched to 35mm for more than a decade in the middle. I had someone heckling me in this thread or another saying that that wasn't the case.

I have to say that it looks pretty damned good for 16mm, especially at 1080i HD. They must be using slower stocks, because it looks finer-grained than some of the first 35mm high-speed stocks used at the beginning of the show's run.

• Premium Member

That would be an extremely expensive test.

-- J.S.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
... changed to Genesis with SSR recorders ,...

Are you sure it's SSR, not SRW? SRW-1 is Sony's field machine for HDCam SR. Googling SSR, it seems to be some sort of satellite recorder for use in orbit.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
the whole thing has changed to Genesis with SSR recorders , tests last week,

episode 1 next week...

Are you sure that isn't just another test?

It's just that as far as I can find out (and I readily admit my sources are by no means infallible), you seem to be the only one who knows about this.

Still if this is correct, you would wonder why it took them this long to decide to use the Genesis, since it's been nearly four years since it was released. Perhaps pointed questions are being asked in Woodland Hills about who this Jannard person is, and what's all this RED business :lol:

I don't think I've actually ever seen a TV show shot with the Genesis, just a few movies with pretty ordinary picture quality.

• Premium Member
Are you sure it's SSR, not SRW? SRW-1 is Sony's field machine for HDCam SR. Googling SSR, it seems to be some sort of satellite recorder for use in orbit.

-- J.S.

Solid State Recorder.

Interesting to note that like Arri and the D21, Panavision provide a good range of video output configurations, including PAL and NTSC. If a <$100 digital set top box can provide1920 x 1080p HDMI, VGA, S-Video, Component video, and plain old SD composite video, all at once, I don't think it would be too big an overhead for a much more expensive godget like this.