LCD monitor arms

Hi,

My beloved Eclair CM3 is in the shop getting a video tap. I have been looking around for different arms that will be strong and sturdy. I've worked with the Noga arm but had bad experiences with it not holding the monitor up too well. I've see some great arms being used with panavision packages, but am not aware of what they are. Any idea? Ultimately, just looking for something that can handle a 4 to 5in LCD. Thanks for any help on this.

-Benjamin

• Premium Member

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3542...ated_Arm_2.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247...nd_Adapter.html

I got these and am happy with them. I also got a 5/8" to 1/4 thread adapter to link the arm to the TFT monitor mount. I can't find it at B&H at the moment. This rig can mount to an angle bracket on my cam or blimp or onto a light stand with a 5/8" female to 5/8" female style adapter like the E390. It's a versatile and still reasonably cheap way to do the job. Hope that's useful.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3542...ated_Arm_2.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247...nd_Adapter.html

I got these and am happy with them. I also got a 5/8" to 1/4 thread adapter to link the arm to the TFT monitor mount. I can't find it at B&H at the moment. This rig can mount to an angle bracket on my cam or blimp or onto a light stand with a 5/8" female to 5/8" female style adapter like the E390. It's a versatile and still reasonably cheap way to do the job. Hope that's useful.

Hey Paul

Thanks for the help. I'd like to get something that I can clamp onto my rod suport though. I apologize for not stating that in my original post. Any ideas with that in mind?

I like the Bogen/Manfrotto Hydrostatic arms. They really have strength and don't have to be cranked down to work. Bogen makes various adapters to get it to mount where you wish.

The most versatile system is Zacuto, which we also sell. They have rod mounts, clamps, arms, rods and everything fits together like an erector set. I've seen some amazing gadgets pieced together by guys who come into our showroom and begin to tinker.

I like the Bogen/Manfrotto Hydrostatic arms. They really have strength and don't have to be cranked down to work. Bogen makes various adapters to get it to mount where you wish.

The most versatile system is Zacuto, which we also sell. They have rod mounts, clamps, arms, rods and everything fits together like an erector set. I've seen some amazing gadgets pieced together by guys who come into our showroom and begin to tinker.

Hey Mitch,

Thanks. How much can your zacuto arms handle as far as weight? The Noga arm I used couldn't always handle the Marshall 7" we used. How do the Zacuto's compare? Thanks again.

-Benjamin

I used the Zacuto arm with an ERG EV85 8 inch monitor which weighs 3.7 pounds and the arm definitely could not support the weight at all. It was constantly loosening and needed to be zip tied the entire 30 days. Also, the mounting bracket which screws into the monitor and then clamps the arm to the monitor is ALWAYS loosening and requiring you to disconnect it and screw it back in. In addition, the baby pin they supply that would go into a C-stand does not have sufficient threads going into the monitor enough that you could possibly feel safe with it. It too is also always loosening up. In short, it's not a very good system at all. Perhaps for something extremely light weight it could handle it.

I used the Zacuto arm with an ERG EV85 8 inch monitor which weighs 3.7 pounds and the arm definitely could not support the weight at all. It was constantly loosening and needed to be zip tied the entire 30 days. Also, the mounting bracket which screws into the monitor and then clamps the arm to the monitor is ALWAYS loosening and requiring you to disconnect it and screw it back in. In addition, the baby pin they supply that would go into a C-stand does not have sufficient threads going into the monitor enough that you could possibly feel safe with it. It too is also always loosening up. In short, it's not a very good system at all. Perhaps for something extremely light weight it could handle it.

Thanks Michael. Do you have a different system that you've used successfully? Something that could be used with rod support?

I'm a huge fan of Ultralights, which I discovered after a DP brought his set onto a feature I did a few years ago. They're very modular and "tinker-toyish", but can be built to support pretty much any size/weight monitor. Not sure if they have a pre-fab attachment for a rod system, like a mini-Cardellini, but I'm sure you can rig something remarkable up with them.

Ultralights sell at FilmTools under the "Monitor Support" page (sorry, no link, typing from my phone). They're kinda pricey, but the payoff is in their adaptability and strength.

I'm a huge fan of Ultralights, which I discovered after a DP brought his set onto a feature I did a few years ago. They're very modular and "tinker-toyish", but can be built to support pretty much any size/weight monitor. Not sure if they have a pre-fab attachment for a rod system, like a mini-Cardellini, but I'm sure you can rig something remarkable up with them.

Ultralights sell at FilmTools under the "Monitor Support" page (sorry, no link, typing from my phone). They're kinda pricey, but the payoff is in their adaptability and strength.

Hey Rory, is this what you had in mind?

http://www.filmtools.com/mini-cardellini-u...itor-mount.html

That'd be it! In fact, now that I see it I remember that we rigged 2 of these into handheld grips because the ones we ordered (from Zacuto no less -- d'oh!) never arrived. Not to knock the Z though, I've been happy with all their gear and love playing with whatever new toys Able has in the showroom (also, they have the flashiest follow focus whip I've ever seen).

• 2 weeks later...
That'd be it! In fact, now that I see it I remember that we rigged 2 of these into handheld grips because the ones we ordered (from Zacuto no less -- d'oh!) never arrived. Not to knock the Z though, I've been happy with all their gear and love playing with whatever new toys Able has in the showroom (also, they have the flashiest follow focus whip I've ever seen).

Just got off a shoot last week and found a great tool for an LCD monitor arm. Here it is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3254...ic_Arm_Kit.html

So, I think I found what I am looking for. It can't clamp onto 15mm rod support but I'm sure it can be adapted somehow. I was happy enough clamping it onto my sticks although it had to be adjusted everytime I would raise the legs but it was the strongest arm I've ever used, but well worth it.

• Premium Member

The ultralight arms are very nice. I was looking at them at the nebtek booth at cinegear yesterday. You can lightly fingertighten them and it will easily hold, as well as easily loosen with the fingertips. I was very impressed. The rubber o-rings are standard sizes so you can get a bag of them at home depot for a couple of dollars and have spares for years.

That Magic Arm is sweet. Great wide mount for the monitor.

Chris, another great thing about the Ultralights is that they were originally designed to mount lights etc to underwater rigs, so they're built for heavy punishment, water, "directors grabbing the monitor" (as the FilmTools site says? Yeah, we've all been there). Pricey, but couldn't recommend them enough.

• Premium Member
That Magic Arm is sweet. Great wide mount for the monitor.

Chris, another great thing about the Ultralights is that they were originally designed to mount lights etc to underwater rigs, so they're built for heavy punishment, water, "directors grabbing the monitor" (as the FilmTools site says? Yeah, we've all been there). Pricey, but couldn't recommend them enough.

I don't think they're badly priced. With the ability to change o-rings, they essentially are good forever. Plus, you get the one in the link above, another clamp and a few different length arms you're set for anything you might ever want to do with it. Consider the extra price as buying you the luxury of never having to zip-tie an israeli arm ever again.

I don't think they're badly priced. With the ability to change o-rings, they essentially are good forever. Plus, you get the one in the link above, another clamp and a few different length arms you're set for anything you might ever want to do with it. Consider the extra price as buying you the luxury of never having to zip-tie an israeli arm ever again.

... and you can never have enough of them it seems! (Hi Rory!) I have found the Ultralight parts also do

double duty for rigging smaller cams or LED lights in / on vehicles with 2 and 3 point support using

suction cups and mini-carde ends.

As far as lcd support goes, they do take a few more seconds and sometimes - 2 hands to reorient...

but that reflects stability and acts as an effective deterrent for non-camera dept hands touching or moving your gear.

I have never had luck with "magic arm" supports as a sturdy or long term (multiple jobs / years) solution.

As far as price, I've prob got close to $1k invested in my Ultralight "tinker toy" kit with

each job's kit fee paying for a few new parts. From an Operator and AC perspective

I don't regret the investment. ;)