Arri 3-Perf

Andrew McCarrick

Well apparently it's not going to matter if this company really does own patents on the actual matrix style 360 camera move....

http://www.digitalair.com/intprop.html

I can't tell if what I want to do is covered by their patent or not... so now I have no clue what to do. It seems as though their patent covers all media/content that even closely resembles the footage their system produces.

I can't tell if what I want to do is covered by their patent or not... so now I have no clue what to do. It seems as though their patent covers all media/content that even closely resembles the footage their system produces.

well... this is pretty much what I want

http://digitalair.com/techniques/slow_motion.html

so I gues I'm screwed.... in the end if I want the shot I have to pay them something.

• Premium Member
so I gues I'm screwed.... in the end if I want the shot I have to pay them something.

Don't assume the worst, talk to them, get a quote. If they don't have much other business at the time you need them, they might give you a break. In any case, it'll be a bunch cheaper than buying 60 Arri's.... ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
10-20 mil. It's shootable at 10, but I'd like to do it on 20.

Hi,

Why not speak to Dayton Taylor, from Digital Air, he owns all the kit used in Matrix & has a lot of experiance. He has Film, Digital & HD soloutions for the Matrix effect. Mention my name

Stephen

• Premium Member

Fellas,

We went through something like this on another thread with Andrew. He's a polite and interesting fellow but talks like his imagination is reality. This is what he has in mind. NOT what he is really doing. He's interesting if you know it's theoretical. He's a nice guy, all around.

Enjoy.

Fellas,

We went through something like this on another thread with Andrew. He's a polite and interesting fellow but talks like his imagination is reality. This is what he has in mind. NOT what he is really doing. He's interesting if you know it's theoretical. He's a nice guy, all around.

Enjoy.

I wouldn't call it theoretical really... maybe in a way, but it's really no different then a film in pre-production trying to find money. Our line producer is a producer on another film and he's been having trouble finding money (it's been almost two years) for another project that already has A-listers attached. I've been working on mine for 5 years, script, business plan, budget, schedule, ect., just hard finding money. But why not in the mean time, figure out how to do what I want to do, when I'm working on getting the funding...

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

• Premium Member

Please don't take this the wrong way Andrew, but no one is going to give 10-20M to a 19 year old. You'd be much better off trying to make a short film first, in the long run this will be more beneficial to you.

Please don't take this the wrong way Andrew, but no one is going to give 10-20M to a 19 year old. You'd be much better off trying to make a short film first, in the long run this will be more beneficial to you.

I have shot a short film... it's just it was a no budget and it was never truly finished... and I no longer have the original source material. The only copy I have of the film itself is on VHS.

And now I no longer have access to any equipment... camera, lights, audio... I personally own nothing.

• Premium Member

The point of a short film is that you show people what you can do. As a first-time director it is essential to have such a piece, otherwise you can pretty much forget about getting financing, because at the moment you are still an unknown quantity to them. So unless you already have a such a piece you'd be better off trying to make one.

andrew. It´s nothing wrong with ambitions.

This is a really fun thread. Please continue to post your crazy ideas.

One day you may do it for real.

But as said, do a couple of shorts as well.

good luck.

andreas

I would love to make some short films... but I have no equipment to do that... nor any money to get equipment.

• Premium Member

I shot my first feature on a VHS camcorder. It stunk because it was my first feature not because it was shot on VHS. Boy, did it stink!

The thing is, making movies, even shorts is not usually something you get right on the first go, anyway. Not usually. So, you can shoot your first few projects on home camcorders. There are some pretty darn good DV camcorders collecting dust in your neighbors' closets as we speak.

I shot my first feature on a VHS camcorder. It stunk because it was my first feature not because it was shot on VHS. Boy, did it stink!

The thing is, making movies, even shorts is not usually something you get right on the first go, anyway. Not usually. So, you can shoot your first few projects on home camcorders. There are some pretty darn good DV camcorders collecting dust in your neighbors' closets as we speak.

Checked with the few neighbors I have and they have nothing... and we have no home camcorders.

I can't win...

The best thing I have is my Aunt works at a small tv station in Virginia but that over 4 hours away.

• Premium Member

When Andrew wrote:

"now my question would be where do I get 3-perf 35 stock from"

and followed that up with:

"Would you know of product catalog from Arri that has prices in them? . . . I may purchase some cameras"

I suspected something was amiss. So I checked his IMBD page listed with his signature and discovered that Andrew was 19 and had been a PA on a number of small productions. Then his questions made sense.

Andrew, I made my first short film on a twenty dollar Kodak double eight movie camera when I was sixteen. And my second short film with a 35mm still camera and a copy of iMovie. And that film is still being shown today.

You don't need expensive equipment to tell a story. You are nineteen, and I assume gifted with an imagination. Get a copy of "Rebel without a Crew" and do what Robert suggests, look around, see what you have available to you, and use your imagination. Keep doing that, again and again, until you know how to tell the story you want to tell. It's really that simple.

Best of luck,

-Tim

That's the problem is nothing is available to me... I really have no money what so ever... to purchase anything (a camera). And that's because I can't find a job around here that's worth it.

Dude how serious are you about that? If you want you can find a job that may be so bad you wouldn't tell anyone but that will give you enough money to buy something being it a crappy camcorder or a ticket to your aunt place.

Every single day of the last month and of another month earlier this year i took a train to get to a city 120km away from my home, 3 buses and 2 metro lines just to pursue my dream in an economical way. That makes 6 hours of travel per day and 7 hours of work (not paid...i'm in a rental facility learning and spreading the news of my existence :P btw...if someone is willing to raise a 2nd AC in europe... ;) )

I don't wanna brag (there's nothing to brag anyway...) but man if you really want to do this work you have to roll up your sleeves. Nothing come easy and you have to fight for what you want. Every job that will give you money is worthy if you use them to get where you want.

• Premium Member
I shot my first feature on a VHS camcorder.

Hi Paul,

You had it easy, my first video short was on a 1/2 inch reel to reel black & white camera around 1976, I had shot film on Standard 8 some 4 years earlier, which looked one hell of a lot better. However it then took me another 20 plus years to become a film pureist. I wonder why I took so long?

Actually I know the answer, video at the time (like Red today) was cool, I was young an assumed the future was in new technology.

Stephen

• Premium Member

1/2" reel to reel. I remember seeing one at the local university. I was steeped in 3/4" Umatic in those days. So, I was fascinated by all the exposed works on the reel to reel unit. It had not occurred to me that it could run with all its drum and stuff just hanging out in the open. At first, I assumed someone had lost the cover and cassette handling gear for it. I bet it was a hoot to thread it up and watch it run.

• Premium Member
Yup, me too, from the late '60's, B&W NTSC.... Sony made them. The camera was about the size of a Red, and the deck a little bigger than an apple box, IIRC.

-- J.S.

Hi John,

Sony did indeed call it portable, rather more truethful than the portable 1" machine I used 10 years later!

Stephen

• Premium Member
Put each camera right next to each other, and jump cut from one to the next but with motion picture cameras, as opposed to still cameras, I have all the cameras having the same frames.... so I could freeze frame and rotate around, or slow motion and rotate around.... I can change the speed of the rotation and the direction of the rotation.

The other big problem with doing this on film cameras is that they would also need to be *phase locked* so all the frames would be in sync with each other.....not that andrew *no longer active* mccarrick cares......

jb