The greatest trailer in the history of cinema.

• Premium Member
Heck, if producers want to waste their money on garbage no one wants to see, I'm happy for everyone who's getting a paycheck from them. Sure beats not working.

First of all, this isn't my kind of movie. But the previous movies these guys have made have done very well and made money. So to say that no one wants to see this movie goes against previous results. I'm not gonna see it, but plenty of people will.

• Premium Member
Yeah! What's the point in ever criticising anything!

Well, as I see it, there's very little reason to criticize something for the sole purpose of trying to belittle it. If there was some constructive criticism involved I would feel differently about it. It seems to me that you're just mad because someone got to make a movie, and you didn't.

• Premium Member
Well, as I see it, there's very little reason to criticize something for the sole purpose of trying to belittle it. If there was some constructive criticism involved I would feel differently about it. It seems to me that you're just mad because someone got to make a movie, and you didn't.

Yes, when Siskel and Ebert would do their worst movies of the year show, they would qualify their choices by anticipating that people might say

how could a certain movie with big stars and good production values and other positive aspects be on a ten worst list when there were so many

far worse movies of that year?

What they used to say was that they wanted to challenge the movies that had potential and somehow blew it, not rip the movies that were

pretty much junk from the beginning. Occasionally they would choose a movie that didn't have high aspirations if that film went so horribly

far in some offensive, ugly misogynistic direction that took another bite out of humanity.

Somewhat related perhaps, who are the people who have made "Two and a Half Men" a big television hit that now is wasting even more airtime in syndication when many clever, intelligent shows don't get picked up? Look at some of the talent that is wasted on that show and it makes zillions

but something like "The Job" (Denis Leary show on ABC a couple of years ago) can't last and "Scrubs" barely hung on. It may be a matter of taste to an extent but the latter two shows have far more depth than the gotta have a joke every six seconds no matter how forced "TaaHM".

Maybe it will end on the IMDB bottom 100 list, like Epic Movie. :lol: It probably is silly enough to make you laugh... But Ayz, you're wrong, this is comedy, it's quite a bit of modern slapstick, even though it may not be as good as it could, but slapstick is quite old fashioned, going back to silent movies (Maybe that'll be the next big thing, "Silent Movie", but didn't Mel Brooks do that one? Failing memory). Whether it's funny can be argued, but what it get's is a cheap laugh (To quote Eric Idle: "Es ist eine einfache Art eine billige Lache zu bekommen"), some of those jokes are so dumb, I could write them, and I'm probably the least funny guy you'll ever meet. Ever.

Weep for the future of cinema? Hardly, there were B-Movies in the 30s and maybe even earlier, nobody weeps, they simply were forgotten. Take Edward D. Wood Jr's... Why bother, Ed Wood's movies... they suck donkey balls, and they were made in the fifties. Only they're no trying to be funny, but are, I guess what happens here is the exact opposite, and that's why these movies will be forgotten in a decade or less. And now... hurt yourselves...

• Premium Member
A truly great trailer :lol: back in the day, when a trailer didn't give out 95% of the movie.

I really love when he's at the bottom of the house stairs trying to describe the twisting and the sound and just ends with, "Oh, I won't dwell on it." You can tell he truly regarded the experience as a comedy, at least in part of his mind.

I don't think this is a comedy they'll be raving about 300 years from now, but I do think that it had some funny points:

The Will Smith drunken superhero drunken flying into the lamp post, and the "and this is my baby's foot" spoof on Zohan.

I agree there, most of the trailer made me laugh (it's easy to make me laugh ;) ), but it's usually the only funny scenes which they put in the trailer. Though I admit Scary Movie 4, even though I regard it as a very cheap comedy, made me laugh throughout the whole film, my cheeks really hurt afterwards. Don't hurt me for having said that *duck*

• Premium Member

I'm sure these movies are funny, but judging from only their trailers, it seems the jokes aren't much different than the jokes in the actual movies they're making fun of. Like the Hancock joke of Will Smith flying into the street light... I've only seen the trailer to Hancock as well, but that joke looks like something that would actually be in Hancock. In fact, Will Smith flying through a billboard by accident in the real movie is kinda funnier.

I'm sure these movies are funny, but judging from only their trailers, it seems the jokes aren't much different than the jokes in the actual movies they're making fun of. Like the Hancock joke of Will Smith flying into the street light... I've only seen the trailer to Hancock as well, but that joke looks like something that would actually be in Hancock. In fact, Will Smith flying through a billboard by accident in the real movie is kinda funnier.

Don't give them the benefit of the doubt; they're not funny. These same guys have been making the exact same movie over and over for the last several years. Here are the jokes that comprise them:

"Hey, remember when you saw [popular film that everyone saw]?"

That's it, that's the whole joke. Now repeat that for 90 minutes.

Don't give them the benefit of the doubt; they're not funny. These same guys have been making the exact same movie over and over for the last several years. Here are the jokes that comprise them:

"Hey, remember when you saw [popular film that everyone saw]?"

That's it, that's the whole joke. Now repeat that for 90 minutes.

You're right. They're using the "Scary Movie" formula for filmmaking. What's the matter with that. Hey, it works!

Well, it's stupid and not funny. Aside from that I suppose it's fine.

Hey take it easy Scott. I was joking! You know, a joke? :lol:

At least they aren't wasting film stock that could be much better used on these films anymore. . .

hahaha. Wow Brad, maybe a little research next time, guy.

Anyway, I know what you're saying: negativity can be a drag, or whatever, but I think if contemporary art suffers from one thing it is that all the power has been taken away from the audience and has been given completely to the artist (read: art dealer). A little discernment out of people would be pretty refreshing.

I don't think it's any great secret that it's pretty fu**in hard for an artist to squeeze a great film through the Hollywood system undamaged.