Cinematographer Lectures

• Premium Member

Does anyone know the procedure for contacting a cinematographer for the possibility of having them come to visit a school to give a lecture or class, or simply talk about their experiences.

I see a lot of other schools get visits and master classes from DP's all the time and I am jealous. lol!

I attend a school that seems more prone to have guests for other departments (game development, recording arts) and a few very scarce film guests. (with the exception of the occasional producer or actor)

They never seem to get anyone from the more technical side of filmmaking and I think it would do a lot of good for some of the students to have a lecture from a working DP.

Or it could just be my personal wish to meet a great DP through a medium other than the internet... :P

i think if I could contact someone who would be interested the school would be willing to pay for the trip, but getting the school to contact or seek out anyone would probably be more trouble than trying to contact them myself.

either way, it's worth a try. I'm still going to work on it from the school side as well.

anyone have any suggestions?

John Hoffler

Some of them have their info online. You could always call the ASC Clubhouse and talk to the women there that organizes meetings with the guys. Unfortunately, I've forgotten her name, but she kicks butt for students.

Where is your school located? That would help narrow it down. If you're near L.A. just go up the the clubhouse and strike up a conversation. Although, they're getting renovated right now.