Super16 slam cam?

Dan Salzmann

You could probably file out the gate of a Filmo but it will be impossible (or at least expensive) to recenter the lens mount. Sounds like a perfect job for the K-3. You can get one for $150 on eBay and easily carve out the gate. Stick a cheap still lens on te front and away you go.

Thanks gang! Any suggestions as to who I should contact to file out the gate of a K-3?

What stills lenses can go on this camera? Can this camera be turned on at a distance?

Cheers,

Dan

Go to a good camera rental house to have the gate filed out. The camera comes in two mounts--a Russian bayonette mount that matches nothing else or a universal Pentax screw mount. Try to get one with a screw mount. For a few bucks, Kiev USA in NYC can change that mount into a Nikon mount if you prefer. They might be able to change the bayonette mount as well but I'm not sure. Kiev USA can also file out the gate.

The camera can easily be turned on at a distance. The trigger button has a screw-in thread for a plunger just like 35mm still cameras and the trusty Bolex. Just get yourself a really long one (I used to have a 5 foot long one somewhere). If you really need a very long setup then I'd suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up a solinoid. Remember though that the spring wind on the camera only lasts about 25-30 seconds.

He means a crash camera. Something that can be mounted near a point of danger, such as in the path of a crashing car or near an explosion. If the camera is damaged or even destroyed it's not that big a loss. That's why they usually use cheap old cameras and inexpensive still lenses for these shots. Although the image quality may not be the same, the shot may only be on screen for a few seconds so generally an audience won't notice.

As far as screwmount lenses for the K3 search for M42 screwmount lenses. There is an excellent 20mm Zeiss Flektagon in this mount and all of the SMC Pentax Takumar lenses are decent; relatively speaking. You can also find a newer Samyang?/Phoenix zoom that goes as wide as 15mm? I think.

Remotes are pretty easy to build with a solenoid like Mitch said. Search around some still camera sites and you should find a version with a solenoid contained in one end of a box with a standard cable release glued through a hole at the other. I have also seen one of the air bulb releases rigged to a bicycle pump and you just pushed down slowly to keep the air pressure up until you got to the end of the stroke. It had about 15 feet of line.

• 2 weeks later...