LA-LA land anamorphics rental?

Guest Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander
Even from ye olde England i can find Clairmont Camera online catalog including all their anamorphic lenses they have .

Yes, now try getting a response from them on availability.

Guest Glen Alexander
How about grinding your own anamorphic lenses?

Why don't you consider other options instead of the 'usual suspects'?

What are you stuck in a mode of filming that hasn't changed much since ~1970's?

In the B&L classic thread, you originally pissed on the idea of using old lenses. Others in the thread were/are genuinely interested in the effect and story telling ability of the lens as well as technical aspects.

You may know lenses from whatever film etc, which is indeed very impressive, but I've never seen any of your posts express anything but sterile technical aspects which is not why I would choose a lens at all. I've not read any posts by you that say anything artistic about any lens.

To answer your question, which is only rhetorical, since it has nothing to do with rentals in LA. If I had the money and time, I would contact UofA or friends at Keck see what they could do.

• Premium Member
You may know lenses from whatever film etc, which is indeed very impressive, but I've never seen any of your posts express anything but sterile technical aspects which is not why I would choose a lens at all.

No, of course you select lenses based on whether the rental company makes you use their logo at the end.

Please feel free to try to reinvent the wheel, your posts are very entertaining to all of us.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingvv2.htm

There is a small version way down on the page, that doesn't require Hercules as a camera operator. :lol:

The butterfly model is also non-reflex. And unlike the big blimped model, it has no rack over or any other way of viewing through the lens. It's basically an Eyemo, but with a Mitchell movement.

• Premium Member
What are you stuck in a mode of filming that hasn't changed much since ~1970's?

Because it works. In any case, you're not choosing lenses from a standpoint of artistic merit or a signature look. You're choosing lenses so you don't have to put some logo in your credits.

Way to ignore the best options in lenses and film to avoid one stupid little thing at the end of your credits.

• 4 weeks later...

For PL mount anamorphics, your choices are Clairmont and Camtec. They both have Hawks. If you do some searching, you can probably find someone with a set of PL mount Lomo's. I have a set being rebuilt now, but its a long process. The arri rental group probably has Hawk's. You could also have vantage ship them here.