Looking for 2 Perf camera to rent w/ PL mount

Bruce Taylor

• Premium Member

Hi All,

I got a call the other day from a NY area DP that's looking for a 2 perf camera to rent with a PL lens mount. My gear all uses the Russian mount. Anyone have any suggestions? I assume the Penelope isn't out yet. The Multivision235 guy in Australia seems to be no more.

Thanks,

Bruce Taylor

• Premium Member

I recall hearing that Multivision went with the host lab. But, I'm pretty certain Bruce McNaughton has all those cameras.

http://www.arandafilm.com.au/

I don't think this guy will want to use my Frankenmitchell inside its Mitchell blimp. But, it has a PL lens board.

You know, Bruce. If your cam would go to NY anyway, could it detour at AbelCine for a quick conversion to PL? Would the rent cover that and throw you some profit as well? It would make the cam a little more salable, I'm thinking.

You know, Bruce. If your cam would go to NY anyway, could it detour at AbelCine for a quick conversion to PL? Would the rent cover that and throw you some profit as well? It would make the cam a little more salable, I'm thinking.

Maybe it would . . . But what would he do with all his OCT-19 lenses ? . . Tough one. I have the same problem on my Arri B mount Aaton LTR. I can get an Arri B to PL mount adapter, but the Arri B to PL cam mount conversion is not easy to do and therefore expensive. I dunno how easy it is to convert a Kinor OCT 19 to PL.

If you did convert the camera mount to PL, Les Bosher may be able to make an affordable adapter from OCT-19 to PL . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member

Thanks for the tip on the 2 perf cameras, I'll refer the fellow to "G'day" Bruce, Down Under.

Yea, the PL mount conversion is a puzzle. I have a complete set (with duplicates) of Lomo primes from 18- 500mm and a bunch of zooms too. I got 'em relatively inexpensively so I can rent out a very low cost package (that's part of what 2 perf is about, right?).

The Kinor PL conversion is difficult and expensive from what I hear, and then where would all those Lomos go? It is difficult to figure out the solution on that one. Perhaps an Arri BL3 or 4 with an ArandaFilm 2 perf conversion would be the best way to go on that. Or... get a removable lens mount made for OCT19 and PL to fit the Kinor. Anyone know if that is possible? That might be worth looking into at least.

Bruce

i´m shooting a feature right now using a kinor with pl mount.

The gear comes from Solid entertainment, and what I understand they did the conversion

themselves from oct mount.

Even the lenses I use are converted oct.

the kinor is also updated with modern electonics.

http://www.solidentertainment.se

great stuff

andreas

• Premium Member
i´m shooting a feature right now using a kinor with pl mount.

The gear comes from Solid entertainment, and what I understand they did the conversion

themselves from oct mount.

Even the lenses I use are converted oct.

Yes, Anders Banke at Solid Entertainment has converted some or all of his 2 perf Kinors to PL. He also told me he won't do any more because it is apparently very difficult and very expensive. (But maybe if I asked him really nicely he would!) That and converting 20 lenses over to PL (at maybe $300 a piece?) -- I'm not sure I see the economics of it since I can't do the work myself.

Glad to hear your shoot is going well, Anders really has those Kinors dialed in.

-Bruce

P.S. The NY DoP I was trying to help out here found a 2 perf BL4 in Germany to rent. Someone had shot masked 3 perf 2.35 (!) and he was doing pick-up and reshoot work. He wanted to use the same Zeiss SuperSpeed lenses to assure a match.

Yes, Anders Banke at Solid Entertainment has converted some or all of his 2 perf Kinors to PL. He also told me he won't do any more because it is apparently very difficult and very expensive. (But maybe if I asked him really nicely he would!) That and converting 20 lenses over to PL (at maybe $300 a piece?) -- I'm not sure I see the economics of it since I can't do the work myself.

Glad to hear your shoot is going well, Anders really has those Kinors dialed in.

-Bruce

P.S. The NY DoP I was trying to help out here found a 2 perf BL4 in Germany to rent. Someone had shot masked 3 perf 2.35 (!) and he was doing pick-up and reshoot work. He wanted to use the same Zeiss SuperSpeed lenses to assure a match.

Sorry for the blank post guys. Hey Bruce, i have to jump in here. Anders has one of the only Kinor 2 perf cams , because the cost of conversion is very complicated requiring the moving of the movement because there isn't enough space for the PL mount. So it is not a simple mount swap. Since you got the movement out, you might as well have it redone for variable shutter as well. So asking nicely won't get it, bringing lots of cash will, especially with the dollar tanking.

btw: My Old Post still stands, I am selling a spare kinor body ready for conversion:

I Have a kinor 35H sitting at The Aranda Group in Austrailla awaiting conversion to 2 perf. It has been sitting there for more than a year, because the original plan to convert my body along with another Kinor owner to take advantage of a 20% discount, fell through when my camera arrived too late. So I have been waiting for another kinor 35H owner to convert

their camera along with mine because Bruce will give us a 20% discount when work is done at the same time. 25% discount if three bodies are converted, etc. WHich is $1000 off conversion price. SO if any of you kinor owners out there have been thinking about converting to 2 perf, here's your chance.

I also have a spare Kinor Body, that needs to be converted as well, for sale now at Bruces as well. I am willing to offer this to members of this group. If you are interested please contact me at:

vichuey@yahoo.com

Victor

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hey bruce you know which rental house in germany that was? :)

thanks

Hi XiaoSu,

I don't know the rental house, but I do have Brendan Flynt's email. He was the DP that found the German rental house with Arri BL4 2 perf. You should be able to contact him at: bcflynt@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Bruce Taylor