Unknown (to me) Grip term

JD Hartman

I work mostly in lighting and electrical, but thought I was familiar with the common names for grip equipment. I am working on a short and supplying all the equipment. I was asked if I owned a pizza box. What they wanted was a frame and a silk. Is the term "pizza box" a geographical thing? Or is someone B.S.'ing me?

A pizza box is a 2x2 piece of bead board (cut from a 4x8 sheet). It is used to bounce light, often used as an eyelight or to add a little kick to something.

If they wanted a frame and a silk, sounds like they were using the term incorrectly (or, it's a geographical thing -- an excuse used a LOT). Otherwise, they were using the term VERY loosely, where they wanted to use a small silk to bounce some bright light...?

There are many terms for some things that are different region to to region. And then even in the same area the union guys call may call things by different names then the non union guys. And that is just within the US. If you go to Canada or Europe, the names of things change. The best way to approach it is to keep an open mind and go with the flow.

And then there are crews who have cute-sie names for things that no one else can decipher until you work with them.

Best

Tim