This can't really be happening...

Matthew W. Phillips

Hey guys, I'm quite familiar with what Trumbull's process and thinking was. I have that old copy of Cinefex on my shelf as well.

There are a few of us here who really get it, and obviously Thomas James isn't one of them. I love the line about projection in higher frame rates because Scarlett users will want to shoot at 120fps, thereby completely ignoring the idea that the only reason they are shooting at high frame rates is because they want the slow-motion effect when playing back at 24fps.

Hey Thomas James -- I'm the guy who is promoting the Phantom HD camera. You know, the one that can shoot more than 1000fps at 1080p? Don't you think I'd have a vested interest in high frame rate functionality?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
In practice, projector speeds can be all over the place and most people won't be any the wiser.

Very true. Back in the days when I was working for a feature company, we had previews all over the place. One rural theater owner had juiced his machines up to about 26 fps, to get home earlier at night, or maybe even get an extra show in. Did it using old VW generator pulleys, they came in two halves, with shims in between. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
There was originally no standard mains frequency in any country, (or even in many cities!), but when power companies realized the economies of scale that could be achieved by having large centralised power stations ....

Here in Los Angeles, they had a mix of 50 and 60 Hz power until 1937. When they made the switch to all 60 Hz, the DWP had a program to replace or retrofit people's clocks in the 50 Hz neighborhoods. Clocks back then were the only electric item that cared what the frequency was.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I appreciate your concern. I was just letting him know that he was wrong. If I meant anything by it, it would have been written differently. <_<

Again, it's so hard to type standing up because I have laughed my arse off again.

Have a closer at the first "source" you linked to. Apart from the fact that it simply takes the word of an unknown "research firm", (which are notorious for finding whatever conclusion their clients want them to find), there is another link on the page that completely contradicts their findings!

As for the other link, I am monumentally uninterested in the blatherings of people's blogs.

I deal with Chinese electronics manufacturers on an almost daily basis; I know exactly what they make and how much of it.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. The chair cushion is muffling your words somewhat.

Again, it's so hard to type standing up because I have laughed my arse off again.

Have a closer at the first "source" you linked to. Apart from the fact that it simply takes the word of an unknown "research firm", (which are notorious for finding whatever conclusion their clients want them to find), there is another link on the page that completely contradicts their findings!

As for the other link, I am monumentally uninterested in the blatherings of people's blogs.

I deal with Chinese electronics manufacturers on an almost daily basis; I know exactly what they make and how much of it.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. The chair cushion is muffling your words somewhat.

How could it even be remotely possible for tube TV's to outsell flat panel TV's when the ratio in the biggest electronic stores ranges from 200:3 - 100:7? You're wrong as it's been flat-panels outselling tube TV's since 2006.

I didn't try to make stabs at you but you did a nice job of trying to come at me. Glad to see where your maturity lies.

Have a good day sir.

Edited by Jamie Lewis

• Premium Member

CRT plants have been shutting down over the last decade or so. Even Sony no longer makes the broadcast quality tubes for their BVM line of professional monitors. Post houses may have to look for CRT rebuilders to keep them running. I did hear of a consumer CRT plant starting up in Mexico, though.

-- J.S.

As far as marketshare goes high definition televisions have about 70 percent market share in dollars and this is based on 2007 figures. But as far as marketshare according to individual units of production that could be a different story.

The same holds true with the automobile which probably has the vast majority of marketshare in dollars. But if we judge marketshare in terms of individual units of production we may find that the automobile is just a insignificant niche market and the real marketshare is held by bicycles.

Unfortunately the television industry has fought HDTV for years by portraying it as an insignificant niche market.

As far as marketshare goes high definition televisions have about 70 percent market share in dollars and this is based on 2007 figures. But as far as marketshare according to individual units of production that could be a different story.

Is this worldwide or just US?

• Premium Member
How could it even be remotely possible for tube TV's to outsell flat panel TV's when the ratio in the biggest electronic stores ranges from 200:3 - 100:7?

Much as I dislike arguing with armchair Web-sperts, I shall attempt to explain:

I was taking issue with Thomas James's blanket statement "All Televisions".

And I said: "Define 'Television'"

Most of the TV sets sold throughout the entire world today (that is taking into account the 95% or so of the Earth's population that does not live in the US) are 14" or 20" CRT sets, because that is all most people can afford. For them, a 14" TV with an old fashioned curved faceplate, is a lot better than no TV. The spin-off from this is that the Chinese can earn extra foreign exchange by exporting a small part of their production to western countires, for which there is still a ready market.

You are quite right that many of the "Name" retailers no longer stock many or any CRT sets, but that's mainly because that segment of the market has now been taken over by supermarkets, Dime Stores and the like. There are still plenty of low-end CRT sets being sold, just not so much by the people who used to sell them.

• Premium Member

Which was exactly my point. The situation is considerably more complex than your average Blog-whalloper understands. As is the case with many things, such as the film industry :lol:

Much as I dislike arguing with armchair Web-sperts, I shall attempt to explain:

I was taking issue with Thomas James's blanket statement "All Televisions".

And I said: "Define 'Television'"

Most of the TV sets sold throughout the entire world today (that is taking into account the 95% or so of the Earth's population that does not live in the US) are 14" or 20" CRT sets, because that is all most people can afford. For them, a 14" TV with an old fashioned curved faceplate, is a lot better than no TV. The spin-off from this is that the Chinese can earn extra foreign exchange by exporting a small part of their production to western countires, for which there is still a ready market.

You are quite right that many of the "Name" retailers no longer stock many or any CRT sets, but that's mainly because that segment of the market has now been taken over by supermarkets, Dime Stores and the like. There are still plenty of low-end CRT sets being sold, just not so much by the people who used to sell them.

Wait, there are other people that live outside of the United States & Canada?!?! ;) I thought the world is a flat piece of land with North America, South America, and a two little sets of Islands called England & Ireland and Hawai'i. If you sail any farther than that you will fall off of the Earth or get eaten by a sea monster or something, duh. . .

Unfortunately, no one makes a damned *professional* CRT monitor any more these days, which is ashame because they are tops for color correction and color look the same regardless of the angle from which the viewer is from dead center to the screen.

• Premium Member
Unfortunately, no one makes a damned *professional* CRT monitor any more ....

Have a look at Sony's new BVM-L line of LCD monitors. They may well be a single-user solution. For larger client bays, perhaps front projection....

-- J.S.

Unfortunately, no one makes a damned *professional* CRT monitor any more these days, which is ashame because they are tops for color correction and color look the same regardless of the angle from which the viewer is from dead center to the screen.

What about JVC? http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/feature...el_id=MDL101396 Supports 1080P and for an extra $3k you can get an HD-SDI card (so total around $6k I believe.)

Matthew

• Premium Member
Here in Los Angeles, they had a mix of 50 and 60 Hz power until 1937. When they made the switch to all 60 Hz, the DWP had a program to replace or retrofit people's clocks in the 50 Hz neighborhoods. Clocks back then were the only electric item that cared what the frequency was.

-- J.S.

Record player turntables did too, but I seem to recall that most of those had some means of changing the RPM, particularly since there was no real standard for that either :lol:

It reminds me of a generation ago when it was the Australian corporate fashion to import highly paid consultants from the USA, because they must surely know what they were doing! (It eventually became obvious that most people prepared to come all that way for a job did so because they found it hard to get one back home!)

Often part of the deal was that the company paid all their moving expenses, and so they would invariably bring all their electrical appliances, none of which would work here!

Apart from the fact that everything was 110V and we use 240V (which could be fixed with a heavy, noisy and expensive stepdown transformer), turntables would run at the wrong speed, as would expensive tape recorders, and clocks would lose about 10 minutes every hour!

But for true electronic pathos, nothing beats an American colour TV set taken out of its natural environment! Aside from being the wrong line voltage, the tuner will only pick up some Australian stations, in black and white, with no sound, and often with no vertical hold.

So after all the trouble and expense of bringing the things out here, the owner was then faced with the prospect of either dumping it, or paying a sometimes ludicrous amount of money to get it converted to PAL and Australian channel frequencies.

I actually did some of these conversions myself, but one of the things that really stunned me was the number of Americans who asked about converting a modified set back to "original" so they could take it home again!

One I particularly remember was a 9" Sears cheapie colour set that I did a free basic conversion on as a favour for a friend of my Boss's. The now defunct US electronics magazine Popular Electronics used to have a sort of "Tales from the Service Bench" section where people could write in with their interesting TV service stories, and some years later a writer from Texas mentioned a Sears TV that had been taken to Australia and modified, and now, there was no sound, and flashes of colour only appeared when people were speaking! Yes, it was the same set!