Feelings on the French Industry?

Liam Dale

I may have an opportunity to spend some time in Paris in the coming year and am just curious about the state of the french film industry at the moment. Is there a general feeling of slowing down such as is expressed about the US industry in a few threads on this board? I've only been out of school for a little while and wouldn't even be going to Paris specifically with the goal of finding work, but I am wondering what sort of projects are currently getting made and what the community is like. For instance, I imagine there are a fair share of theatres that will show both big budget and independent films, but I don't know anything specifically.

-Liam

I may have an opportunity to spend some time in Paris in the coming year and am just curious about the state of the french film industry at the moment. Is there a general feeling of slowing down such as is expressed about the US industry in a few threads on this board? I've only been out of school for a little while and wouldn't even be going to Paris specifically with the goal of finding work, but I am wondering what sort of projects are currently getting made and what the community is like. For instance, I imagine there are a fair share of theatres that will show both big budget and independent films, but I don't know anything specifically.

-Liam

If you like the "cafe culture," you'll love Paris (ask Werner Herzog). If you want to "work," you probably won't. In other words, if you can sit for hours philosophizing, than Paris is your place. If you need to be active, work with your hands, get dirty, or just be creative, than Paris is not your place. In my opinion, Paris today is an incredible place to study and critique (it's what the French do best). It's not a place to create(not right now anyways).

For instance, I imagine there are a fair share of theatres that will show both big budget and independent films, but I don't know anything specifically.

Paris might be the best city in the world for going to the movies. Get a copy of "pariscope" (weekly city guide for movies, music etc.) and you'll see what's on. They have plenty of theaters of all kind, they are specially good with retrospectives. You can get a one year pass that costs 20 euro/month for all the ugc and mk2-theathers.

enjoy...

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into that year pass.

If you need to be active, work with your hands, get dirty, or just be creative, than Paris is not your place. In my opinion, Paris today is an incredible place to study and critique (it's what the French do best). It's not a place to create(not right now anyways).

Is there not a lot being made right now? Or, is the industry there more of a good ole boys club (like some have said about the UK) making it hard to break into?

-Liam

• Premium Member

I'll let you in on a little secret: French filmmaking is a closed shop for anyone who isn't french. Take a look at these French DP's agents and tell me how many non-french names you see.

First One

Cosmic Paris

Kinou

Now look at any other DP agency in the world and you'll find they represent DP's from all over the world, even french ones. It's not easy getting in there.

Adam is right...the french industry is VERY hard to break into.

The commissioning process over there is tighter than a camel's ar.......

Unless you have very good links and contacts its a very very loooooong road.

Good luck!! ;)