Effect of RED camera

• Premium Member

It's a downturn anymore, Economically, here in the US. Here's hoping, though that there is some light at the end of our tunnels.

Sorry for going OT, but before I forget, Karl, Checked for some 35mm stocks 'round here, and everyone's shot their stores.

If I get any, I'll send it out to you, though, as I've no use for it myself (yet. . . muhahaha).

You know what frightens me a bit is this Scarlet Cam.

What happens to we cinematographers when a director can buy a camera for the price of a DP for a month?

I have a 100' roll of 35mm if you'd like. I've never finished the work building my two 35mm cams up, so it sits in the freezer still.

I still need to get up the courage to slit and load up the Foma DS8 into regular Super8 carts.

• 4 weeks later...
You know what frightens me a bit is this Scarlet Cam.

What happens to we cinematographers when a director can buy a camera for the price of a DP for a month?

I also worry about this, not because I feel threatened but more because of the mentality that will come attached to it. I'm personally "bugged" by RED, having developed two new cameras when the RED One hasn't been close to being perfected.

• Premium Member

You get what you pay for.

You still need a cinematographer to know where to point, when to point and how to light.

That work will stand out, no matter if it's shot on a mobile phone or a Panaflex. I recall the same things were said when the original digital revolution, Mini DV was introduced.....

jb

• Premium Member
That work will stand out, no matter if it's shot on a mobile phone or a Panaflex. I recall the same things were said when the original digital revolution, Mini DV was introduced.....

jb

Hi,

Many of those same people have bought a Red one, what they will do when Scarlet comes out I don't know.

Stephen