Is anybody watching lost? I find it to be an interesting show. I've seen two DP credits, either Larry Fong or Michael Bonvillain. It's shot on S-16 and the lighting is good, they actually have an honest to goodness highlight in the frame. A lot of TV seems so low con these days, I prefer something my eye can grab on to.

They got the HH 'shaky-cam' going on but it doesn't look like they are trying to enhance it by moving in weird ways and zooming a lot like that show "The Days" that looked dreadful IMO. It just looks like regular handheld and they often cut to a stedi or dolly wide shot with a bit of drift in it.

I really enjoy the show and know one of the creators (went to high school with him). Think it looks great too--I'd actually forgotten it was produced in S-16. I think parts of the opening of the pilot were done in 35 to aide in the effects work. I really enjoy the look they've captured in the caves set. It's nice to see something so rich and lush on broadcast TV. The handheld work is especailly well-done. They alternate DPs so that they can properly prep and follow each episode through post. A similar arrangement was used on "Sex and the City" and many other shows.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks...just found out about this forum...very cool!

Actually both the pilot and series of Lost have been shot in 35mm Panavision, thank you very much! 3-Perf letterbox as well, that only HD viewers and/or eventual DVD buyers will be able to enjoy...just think, with the originally intended composition! Maybe one day ABC will join the real world and broadcast in 1:1.78...

I heard somewhere else about the Super-16 rumor...anyone know where/why that got started?

Larry Fong

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Larry, great to have you here!

It's funny, because I had heard about the Gilligan's Island TV show, and stumbled on LOST by accident, and I thought "hmmm, this looks to good to be THAT show..."

I've caught about 3 episodes so far (too busy to regularly watch TV ), and it's really good.

It's about the best looking thing on network TV (if not THE best looking), if you ask me, and it's much better than I thought it would be.

Larry, give us some of the specifics of the show; tehcnical stuff, but also some amusing stories would be interesting!

Matt Pacini