SR mags compatible with SR2 body?

David Cavallo

• Premium Member

As far as I know they are, but it would depend on whether they or the camera were S-16mm modified. I don't think you can use non S16mm mags on a S16mm camera.

With the SR3 this is more of a non-issue as that camera itself is R16 or S16mm. I'd give a call to Arri NY really fast to double check me.

• Premium Member

All SR series mags are mix and match except for high-speed mags (recognizable by the grey rubber). They should only be used on high speed bodies. Regular mags can be used on high speed bodies but they won't run as fast.

I don't think there is any reason a S16 converted mag couldn't be used on a R16 body, but it might be prudent to avoid it just in case.

If you have a R16 mag and a S16 body, you may have problems. ;)

• Premium Member

The Arriflex 16SR and Arriflex 16SRII mags are interchangeable. Except as Chris said, I would not interchange High Speed mags and regular mags.

I don't think there is any reason a S16 converted mag couldn't be used on a R16 body, but it might be prudent to avoid it just in case.

There is no reason an S16 converted mag cannot be used on a R16 body. All the S16 conversion does is remove material in the film channels that may scratch the film in the "new S16 area" when shooting Super 16. The film is still fully supported if the conversion was done right.

If you have a R16 mag and a S16 body, you may have problems. ;)

This can be an issue because of the film scratching mentioned above.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
This can be an issue because of the film scratching mentioned above.

Best,

-Tim

About the R16 mag and S16 body:

I was thinking more of the fact that, if you have a S16 body, you probably have single perf film to load into that R16 mag. :blink: