Lens flares in B&W

• Premium Member

I've been watching The Reckless Moment by Max Ophüls and there are some interesting flares that look just like anamorphic ones, except that they are vertical.

Anyone know what could be the origin of them? I don't think it's the lens, so maybe a lack of rem jet coating and a reflective pressure plate?

post-53-1217610967.png

• Premium Member
Anyone know what could be the origin of them? I don't think it's the lens, so maybe a lack of rem jet coating and a reflective pressure plate?

Shouldn't a lack of rem jet be not as sharp and more diffuse?

Regards, Dave

How does the flare look in the frames next to this one (before and after)?

It may have something to do with the combination of light source (sun in the back or a carbon-brute behind the camera) and the windshield of the car - looks like it is made of two pieces of flat glass, so it should give a different reflection than a modern curved windshield.

I'm just guessing... :) Can't remember seeing such a strange flare in old movies shot spherical.

• Premium Member

I've seen vertical flares before in some movies -- I remember one shot of flashlights hitting the lens in "Tequila Sunrise" that created some small vertical flares early in the movie when Mel Gibson is being hunted by the police after the bust at the motel.

Also, "Dune" has some vertical flares from the curved plastic used for the Lightflex.

Usually some glass or plastic with light abrasions in one direction causes line flares.