can anyone recommend a gate brush

Hey I'm new to all of this, don't really know what I'm doing, but just wondering why you would need a gate brush for a 16mm camera, for the mags maybe, just in case you run out of air. If you still want to use a brush get a soft one and that doesn't loose it's threads.

I would never use a brush with bristles or hair to clean a camera's gate.

Just use a good orangewood stick to remove emulsion deposits and use compressed air to remove the dust. Same thing for the mags.

Jean-Louis

I second that. Dont use a brush on the Gate. Camel Hair Brush is standard. If you use the brush on a Mag, blow air afterwards. the brush for the mags helps remove stubborn dust and whatnot that may not come off with air, but may when a roll of film helps it out.

the above is correct

For high-speed 16mm I always used an ordinary 1/2" paintbrush- the bristles are big enough to see if one is shed, but it never happened to me.

Mind you, our main cleaning tool was a vacuum cleaner, to remove all the film chips produced when a roll running at 80mph. ran out.

I've always used compressed air and orange wood sticks. You can certainly use the brushes that've been recommended here, just be careful that they do not contribute to hair in the gate and make the problem worse rather than better!