Angenieux 10-150mm T2.3 Need to disable the auto-iris

Rob Sanders

I have a 10-150mm T2.3 Angenieux zoom in bayonet mount that I will be using for the Arriflex 16 SRI and Arri 16SB. Although I have owned many Angenieux zooms all which performed beautifully, this is the first one I have ever owned with the dreaded "auto-iris" pins (only the Zeiss 10-100mm T2 & T3 lenses have this feature). I am not sure why they made these "auto-iris" pins in the first place since every cine technician that I have talk to tells me they barely work and it's best to disable auto iris by removing the pins. Can anyone explain why they do not work well on the Arri SR cameras?

I would like to do it myself but this may be complicated (I heard it's very simple just remove the back screws and the pins "fall out") -I am not the most mechanical person in the world I admit, is it better to have cine technician remove these? Thanks!

Edited by Rob Sanders

I had Paul Duclos remove those from a Zeiss 10-100 T2 lens I used to own. If you're not terribly mechanically inclined, I would send the lens to him. He's in LA.

Best,

-Tim

Thanks Tim! Indeed I am not the most mechanically inclined person - I am on the artistic side. Although I hear it's fairly simple to do by just removing the back cover and the pins "fall out" I don't want to take a chance and misalign the optics. I will have a professional lens tech do the job and remove the pins.

-Rob

• 1 month later...
I have a 10-150mm T2.3 Angenieux zoom in bayonet mount that I will be using for the Arriflex 16 SRI and Arri 16SB. Although I have owned many Angenieux zooms all which performed beautifully, this is the first one I have ever owned with the dreaded "auto-iris" pins (only the Zeiss 10-100mm T2 & T3 lenses have this feature). I am not sure why they made these "auto-iris" pins in the first place since every cine technician that I have talk to tells me they barely work and it's best to disable auto iris by removing the pins. Can anyone explain why they do not work well on the Arri SR cameras?

I would like to do it myself but this may be complicated (I heard it's very simple just remove the back screws and the pins "fall out") -I am not the most mechanical person in the world I admit, is it better to have cine technician remove these? Thanks!

I just bought a Angenieux 24-240mm and I believe that I have these same Auto Iris pins. This very much limits this zoon because I only have 3.5, from 12mm to 60mm, and have 4.8 for the rest of the barell. Has anyone taken these out on this lens?

Thanks

Dennis Noyes

L.A.--Barcelona

Local 600 Film Loader, TACE

• Premium Member
I just bought a Angenieux 24-240mm and I believe that I have these same Auto Iris pins. This very much limits this zoon because I only have 3.5, from 12mm to 60mm, and have 4.8 for the rest of the barell. Has anyone taken these out on this lens?

Thanks

Dennis Noyes

L.A.--Barcelona

Local 600 Film Loader, TACE

The auto-iris pins in the aforementioned 10-150mm and 10-100mm lenses are different from the one in your 12-240mm lens. Your pin actually stops the zoom from moving, this stop mechanism was done because your lens ramps. Your pin can be removed, the lens will then zoom free from one end to the other, and without a whole lot of problems, this is because the latitude of todays modern filmstock is better than when this lens was developed. Everyone always wants the pin removed, it is not difficult, most Cine lens repair shops should be able to do this for you.