The Pussy Cat Dolls - Strobe Effect

I have a Shoot coming up and the director would like the same kind of strobe effects in the video as The Pussy Cat Dolls - When i Grow Up

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...dolls&vt=lf

First of all it looks like their is some kind of star filter over the lens.

In the opening it looks like there using mirrors in the distance to get the effect from far away. After that it looks as if there is some Crazy Post Production star effects.

1:47 - under the car (and on the construction platform) what kind of strobe is that?

It almost looks like a normal 75 watt strobe light?

what kind of strobes are they using at the end of the video?

Could i get the same effect from say 20 of the 30watt or 75watt strobes during the day pointed at the lens with the star filter?

I have found the martin atomic 3000 watt strobe is that more along the lines of what i would need?

http://www.djequipmentandlighting.com/marat30watdm.html

hummm... any ideas?

I saw that video recently and I thought of it in the same light as I think about their song......

There were a couple of those pings that looked like a mirror bounce and the rest of them looked like a real naff post effect.

I might be wrong but that is what it looked like to me.

• Premium Member

Production weary and cynic as I am, this is what will happen:

You'll put Lightning Strikes on your list.

Producer submits.

Gets shock.

Calls you.

They're to expensive.

Can you do it with regular strobes?

You want to be production friendly as this is the first time you're working with that prod.co/producer so you say yes.

They're not nearly as strong on set as you'd need and you end up with a disappointing look.

You get blamed.

If I could get a penny for every time I've been asked to do storm or lightning with a little disco strobe, I'd be without a mortgage now.

I agree that they are Paparazzis, and I agree with Adam's comment as well, having been there myself.

You will be sorely disappointed with a readily-available, low-wattage strobe light. Especially if you are shooting daylight exteriors.

They are Paparazzis - my friend was an electric on the shoot and he was telling me about setting all those up