super 16mm to 35mm scope print

Deepak Bajracharya

Namaste,

Recently visited Mumbai to make the Scope print from Super 16mm negative.

The Movie Labs in Mumbai is offering the Scope OPTICAL blow up print.

Many of the Indian Regional Film made in Regular 16mm format are currently adopting this technology, so far as I know.

I hope this format will be benificial for our local film industry to quality upgrade as 80% of the Nepalese main stream films still shooting on Regular 16mm format and yet its very costly to shoot the movie in 35mm format due to the limited market.

With best regards,

Hi, Deepak.

Do you mind having a 51-year-old email buddy from Florida? My name is Ira, husband and father of two, and I'm taking up 16mm work as a hobby. I am fascinated with how much film work is going on in India, and I think you can be a great resource for me to learn about 16mm.

I recently bought a K-3 shipped to me from the Ukraine, although it's not converted to Super 16--I have no real need for it for what I want to do. Perhaps I can be of assistance to you with shipping you stuff that's not readily available there, and vice versa. Or we can just share ideas, experiences and questions.

Like I said, I'm just a beginner--an OLD beginner--but I have a long background in 35mm still work.

Namaste Ira,

So far as I know, the regional films in India is still shooting in 16mm format later blown up to 35mm print. Due to the optical blow up print, many of these productions are adopting the super 16mm to 35mm scope print.

The advantage of the direct optical blow up doesnot require the IP and IN process hence saving the considerable amount of money in the lab.

The disadvantage may be the loss of quality and sharpness, still acceptable in comparison to making film in 35mm.

75% of Nepalese main stream films are also producing in regular 16mm format for the theatrical releases. The cameras are Arri 16BL, Eclair NPR and ACL and Aaton LTRs.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Namaste Ira,

So far as I know, the regional films in India is still shooting in 16mm format later blown up to 35mm print. Due to the optical blow up print, many of these productions are adopting the super 16mm to 35mm scope print.

The advantage of the direct optical blow up doesnot require the IP and IN process hence saving the considerable amount of money in the lab.

The disadvantage may be the loss of quality and sharpness, still acceptable in comparison to making film in 35mm.

75% of Nepalese main stream films are also producing in regular 16mm format for the theatrical releases. The cameras are Arri 16BL, Eclair NPR and ACL and Aaton LTRs.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Deepak, here's the thing:

In the U.S., 99.999% of us never get to show our final stuff on film anyway--it's converted to digital for computer editing and just shown on DVD. So as a raw amateur, that's all I'm looking to do.

Capture it beautifully in 16, convert to digital for editing, with little thought of getting it back to film for presentation.