Origin of Panavision spherical lenses

george su

• Premium Member
Hello,

Does anybody know the origin of Panavision Ultra Speed MKII, Ultra Speed "Z" Series, and Super Speed "Z" Series lens sets?

Thanks,

George

The "Z" Series are rehoused Zeiss lenses. The older non-Z lenses come from a mix of elements I've heard, maybe even Canon, Cooke, Zeiss, Nikon, etc. Not sure.

Having shot with both UltraSpeed MkIIs and Cooke Speed Panchros (series IIs) I would disagree. While I never shot with them side by side, it seemed to me they were remarkably similar in look and feel. The Ultras even flaring and veiling a little more than the cookes.

I'm currently in pre-production for a feature, and we're shooting partly in LA, partly in Asia. We're getting our cameras/lenses all locally.

Here in LA, I've been dealing with Pany Hollywood, but now I'm dealing with an Arri house in Korea. My lens options are limited, and I'm going with Cooke S4s.

Am I right in assuming in Pany world, Primos are the closest match to S4s?

I recently visited Panavision Hollywood to look at some lenses projected. I asked what the closest matchup to Panchros would be, and they said Panavision Standard Primes, in terms of light fall-off at edges and veiling/flaring quality.

I recently visited Panavision Hollywood to look at some lenses projected. I asked what the closest matchup to Panchros would be, and they said Panavision Standard Primes, in terms of light fall-off at edges and veiling/flaring quality.

...or the Baltars.