Stephen Williams' (advertisement) work at youtube?

• Premium Member
> Was it all green Screen?

I confidently assert that it was :P

Hi Phil,

There was no green screen in that commercial, other than individual crowd members, lots of painting & 3d replacement as the stadium was the 'wrong one' There is another Omega Spot '76' where there is 1 bluescreen shot, the girl looking over the wall (towards camera)which was shot in Zurich on my Ultracam.

We had 300 extras for 1 day, forground people are real. We shot some scenes with a Photosonics 4ER+ ( 200 -425 fps).

It was quite a difficult shoot, I only had the runners for 2 days, they were jet lagged & tired the 1st day & exausted the 2nd. The stadium only got sun through the roof for 5 hours a day, one day being completly overcast. We only got written agreement to use the stadium 5 days before the shoot.

Some shots got dropped because the post would have taken too long, especially shots using the Arri 8R lens

Stephen

post-3524-1219210927.jpg

post-3524-1219210953.jpg

post-3524-1219211534.jpg

• Premium Member
A beautiful piece of work Stephen . John .

Hi John,

Thanks very much, I wanted to use the 'Russian Arm' but unfortunately the budget did not stretch that far. It's funny the lighting was all brand new, I think they just bought my equipment list new from Arri, when I asked for a 4K I could not work out why it was taking so long. I went over to the truck & they were unrapping it :lol:

Stephen

post-3524-1219342388.jpg

post-3524-1219342407.jpg

post-3524-1219342426.jpg

• Premium Member
Hi John,

Thanks very much, I wanted to use the 'Russian Arm' but unfortunately the budget did not stretch that far. It's funny the lighting was all brand new, I think they just bought my equipment list new from Arri, when I asked for a 4K I could not work out why it was taking so long. I went over to the truck & they were unrapping it :lol:

Stephen

Stephen,

Really beautiful work. I think these are two of the best spots on the entire Olympic roster. BTW: Who were the production Co. and Director? And maybe I should know, but where is that stadium? Fantastic location!

That Russian Arm-type rig (Filmotechnics or Lev's newer Ultimate Arm) seems to be getting a lot of use around the U.S.; they probably need an agent in Switzerland!

Again, superb work. Thanks for the production stills.

-Fran

• Premium Member
Stephen,

Really beautiful work. I think these are two of the best spots on the entire Olympic roster. BTW: Who were the production Co. and Director? And maybe I should know, but where is that stadium? Fantastic location!

That Russian Arm-type rig (Filmotechnics or Lev's newer Ultimate Arm) seems to be getting a lot of use around the U.S.; they probably need an agent in Switzerland!

Again, superb work. Thanks for the production stills.

-Fran

Hi Fran,

The Director was Liberato Maraia, Eye to Eye Zurich. The stadium is in Athens from the 2004 Olympics, we looked at most of the old stadiums, often the running track was in bad condition. When I went for the Rece 2 weeks before the shoot there was 30cm of snow & the airport was closed so we had a nightmare journey.

Stephen

post-3524-1219344316.jpg

great work!!!

looking at the BTS pic with the firing the gun i wonder why there is a 24*36 gobo in the 6*6 frame is it for blocking the source of the light(the sun) ?

looking at your web i am very very impressed by your work

it's great to see something i like on TV and then to know that i can talk to the DP here

• Premium Member
great work!!!

looking at the BTS pic with the firing the gun i wonder why there is a 24*36 gobo in the 6*6 frame is it for blocking the source of the light(the sun) ?

looking at your web i am very very impressed by your work

it's great to see something i like on TV and then to know that i can talk to the DP here

Hi,

It was for blocking the sun from hitting the gun, originally we were moving around on tracks, just a static version got used.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Great work, Stephen. How did like working with the Arri 8R lenses?

Hi Wendell,

I would have liked to have used it more, it's quite incredible. The downdide was portholeing wide open at T2.8, not obvious through the eyepiece. I guess it caused too many complications with the 3d & croud replication, the VFX supervisor suggested not moving the camera as it would make their work easier!

Stephen

post-3524-1219390011.jpg

post-3524-1219390035.jpg

• Premium Member
They should be quite useful for the best screening on the TV screen or at youtube, sure... That is, if the Omega spot hasn't been seen on the movie theatre as well... Or am not I right? :rolleyes:

Hi,

Since the majority of international commercials are shot on Film using Cooke or Zeiss prime lenses I don't really understand your post.

None of the shots from the 8R got used as it would take too long in post, we only scheduled 3 months. We scanned @4k on a Spirit. The next spot for Omega I am woking on will be world wide for the Cinema.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi,

The production company has confirmed that the commercials were shown world wide in the Cinema as well as television. There have been some copyright issuse as the crowd contracts did not include cinema world wide.

Stephen

They should be quite useful for the best screening on the TV screen or at youtube, sure... That is, if the Omega spot hasn't been seen on the movie theatre as well... Or am not I right? :rolleyes: