The same shot ( or is it ) seamless fluid continuity

Alright, I know that Children of Men, Atonement, Oldboy, Touch of Evil have had some amazing steadycam, or just long continuity shots which took a lot of rehearsing, my question is in reference to the children of men car scene where Julianne Moore is shot in the neck and the biker hits the car etc. etc etc, I want to know how to fake this convincingly, I want to create a long scene, and fake it in one charchter movement, whipping the camera and then setting up the next shot, and cutting on the camera whip, or blocking the camera behing something like hitchcock did in rope so I need help. What I mean is directing tips, lighting tips, continuity tips on how to keep a seemingly endless camera shot seem that way, without actually going threw all that trouble, the reason I posted this was because I've tried to do this by just doing whip pans, cutting on the pan to another shot but it doesn't work, not because of the editing, rather because the performances don't match, and neither does the lighting, so I need help in those two departments, and any other tips for scene continuity, in faking a continuous shot

You answered your own question... 'match' your 'Performance' and 'match' your 'Lighting'.

What I mean is directing tips, lighting tips, continuity tips on how to keep a seemingly endless camera shot seem that way, without actually going threw all that trouble -quote- Joseph

That is the point... this stuff is extremely difficult and troublesome to get 'right' and 'seamless'...

It ain't easy!

Don't feel bad.. a great Gaffer once answered me when I asked 'Hey, how do you Light"?.. and he said.. "Well, I turn on a Lamp and start moving it around.. now I am Lighting"... that frustrated the hell out of me but years later... I understood ;)

hi,

in that car scene i think it was almost all one shot. If you check out the "behind the scenes" stuff, you will see that they made this car with a camera rig on the top. When the camera moved around, the seats inside the car moved too.

Its really cool stuff.

this video shows some stuff on how they did it

cheers

There's no easy solution to things like this. Children of men had like a year's worth of extremely talented vfx artists working on it. Other films have done it just by painstakingly planning it out and rehearsing it over and over. If there were shortcuts for complex shots like this, you'd see them all over the place.