Shooting outside a wall in a soundstage

I'm shooting a super 16mm film on an Arri SRIII. We have a night interior scene of an older blue collar furniture store that is used as a front for drugs and other things. We have 3 tight shots that are shot from inside the store through the window and outside the set wall which is all inside a sound stage. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to light the outside of the store and make it believable without using a scenic.

We have a street light outside as a source and lights for a sign as a source. and of course moonlight.

someone suggested using Christmas lights and strategically place them in the background to mimic distant buildings, or use a tree branch to shoot soft light through behind the character, or having the background just be un exposed. I really want to find a way to separate the character from the blackness though.

-nick

What about an awning over the door/ front window of the building? You can light underneath that as well as above. Place an over hanging light above the doorway.

You could also light the whole stage with dimmed china lamps and have one stationary one that is max power to simulate the moon and maybe stop down a bit to make it look even? I dunno, that's tough.

Well if the soundstage is big enough I would be very tempted to pull a few cars in and park them in front of the windows. Put some light on the front fenders and let it fall off in the back. That at least would give you a little depth. You could also take some small units such as inkies and put them as far back as you can with some gel and let them play as distant street lights.