Some Good News

Stephen Williams

Hi,

Red have caught up with with the production of EVF's they now will ship at the same time as the camera bodies. IIRC It's 51 weeks since the first cameras were delivered, how time flies.

Stephen

How good is EVF?

On the recent job on which I did Steadicam, they always used the LCD because the RED EVF was "strobey".

I've read good reports on the EVF and was surprised that they never used it. Given a quiet moment, perhaps I could've checked it out, but given the long days there wasn't really a chance.

I was hoping for an optical VF myself*, but if it took this long for a EVF, I can only imagine how long it would take for the optical one. Will the world have to wait for the RED ONE mk2 for $50K body only?

*Not really, as the design of the camera does not allow for that in its current state.

• Premium Member
How good is EVF?

On the recent job on which I did Steadicam, they always used the LCD because the RED EVF was "strobey".

I've read good reports on the EVF and was surprised that they never used it. Given a quiet moment, perhaps I could've checked it out, but given the long days there wasn't really a chance.

It's the best non optical colour viewfinder I've ever used !

It' actually very good. Although it is a bit of a beast...it's quite chunky and bulky. I didn't find any strobyness that was too annoying....maybe it's just me...

jb

*sick of using the red LCD to frame and operate.....

It's the best non optical colour viewfinder I've ever used !

It' actually very good. Although it is a bit of a beast...it's quite chunky and bulky. I didn't find any strobyness that was too annoying....maybe it's just me...

jb

*sick of using the red LCD to frame and operate.....

That's what I'd heard. Perhaps it wasn't quite as chunky in reality as I was expecting from the photographs, but it's not what you'd term compact. I guess each person's "strobyness" tolerances could be different, however, it didn't seem to be an issue on any Accuscene V/F that I've seen.

• Premium Member
That's what I'd heard. Perhaps it wasn't quite as chunky in reality as I was expecting from the photographs, but it's not what you'd term compact. I guess each person's "strobyness" tolerances could be different, however, it didn't seem to be an issue on any Accuscene V/F that I've seen.

Hi Brian,

I get a headache after using an Accuscene in Color after about 1 hour, I always switch it to black & white.

Stephen

• Premium Member

It's actually rather heavy as well. I'd never want to have it rigged using the RED supplied arm. The ET setup is nice, but you'll slice your fingers open on their funky industrial but razor sharp lock offs and knobs...it's like trying to use a circular saw blade for a lock off knob....

jb

*still waiting for an extension viewfinder......

Hi,

Red have caught up with with the production of EVF's they now will ship at the same time as the camera bodies. IIRC It's 51 weeks since the first cameras were delivered, how time flies.

Stephen

Which means the warranty runs out, and the serious reverse engineering can begin. :D

Hi Brian,

I get a headache after using an Accuscene in Color after about 1 hour, I always switch it to black & white.

Stephen

I've never used one for long periods, only at the Santa Fe HD workshops where you only used each camera for an hour or so for exercises. Any HD cameras I've used on actual shoots have all had the traditional B & W CTR V/F.

Interesting about switching to B & W to avoid a headache, perhaps that's the cause of this problem. Whatever the cause, it seems to have caused complaint in the past, because the 1st AC didn't even consider rigging it. The RED V/F was never taken out of the case other than me having a quick look at it.

The RED viewfinder suffers the same strobe issue as the AccuScene viewfinder on which it was based. It uses sequential color fields of red/green/blue in order to generate full color instead of the simultaneous color fields we're generally used to. This is fine on a static image but will cause temporal tearing or stutter where the three colors will displace from one another with movement. It gives me a headache as well and can actually lead to epileptic seizures for individuals that are extremely sensitive. For others it looks just fine and they have no issue with it whatsoever.

The Sony C35 viewfinder uses LCD technology and has the same resolution capabilities as the RED viewfinder with none of the sequential stutter issues. We use the Sony finders on the Phantom to great success.

• Premium Member

I'll second what Mitch says. The same issue affects single-chip DLP projectors. I'm one of the people it seriously annoys; others don't mind it.

Mitch, what work did you have to do to interface the Sony finders onto Phantom?

P

• Premium Member

I've seen a couple Red Viewfinders with major strobing issues. They were unusable and had to be replaced. Also, I recently used a brand new VF on a feature that constantly had color shifting issues. It would suddenly be very magenta or green and we had to unplug and re-plug it to get it back to normal. I obviously would never trust it regarding color.

I would also agree that it's heavy and clunky. There is no way you could use the arm Red supplies to mount it. It just wouldn't stay in place for more than a few seconds. The Element Technica mount is OK. It's very modular, but it's also a bit heavy and clunky.