Hi All!

Am a new entry on this forum.

I have just recently chucked my job in the 3d industry to pursue cinematography..I have 5months until my course begins.

How do I prepare?What should I watch/read in order to get the grasp of this medium before I start film school?

Am a good photographer(so says everyone who sees my work:P)and I love motion picture,hence,I decided to give this a shot.

So,guys please help with every little information you can.

Thanks a lot!

Regards.

the forum requires you to use your real first and last name. Go to your controls and change that.

Shooting Stills is one of the better ways to learn. Basic Photography is very important to learn. Shoot on film, and test and practice.

this is also helpful. http://rondexter.com/no_camera_camera_course.htm

good luck

Hi All!

Am a new entry on this forum.

I have just recently chucked my job in the 3d industry to pursue cinematography..I have 5months until my course begins.

How do I prepare?What should I watch/read in order to get the grasp of this medium before I start film school?

Am a good photographer(so says everyone who sees my work:P)and I love motion picture,hence,I decided to give this a shot.

So,guys please help with every little information you can.

Thanks a lot!

Regards.

well my friend I am also a newbie but it seems my post got pretty popular so why don't head on over and see if my questions can help you.

i think im 1 or 2 below you since i don't know how to post a link

• Premium Member

First thing. Go to "My Controls" and change your screenname to your First name, a space, and then your last name. This is a requirement of this forum. Allen already told you about this in a previous post. Please do so before you make any more posts.

Check out the "books" link in the upper right area of this website. There are some great recommendations on that page. I personally like Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz and M. David Mullen, ASC (I would also try to read as many of Mr. Mullen's posts on here as you can. He is very knowledgeable and an incredibly talented cinematographer. Watch Northfork)

The Negative, by Ansel Adams. Very good book on understanding exposure.

Reflections by Benjamin Bergery and Film Lighting by Kris Malkiewicz are great books for learning different lighting styles and techniques.

As a Cinematographer, I believe you should have an understanding of the departments you will be working with. To understand the electric department, run by the Gaffer, I recommend

Set Lighting Technicians Handbook by Harry C. Box. This book will really help with the technical aspect of lighting and will help you to work more safely on set.

To help understand the Grip Department, I recommend

The Grip Book by Michael Uva

For the camera department, I recommend

The Camera Assistant by Douglas Hart

There are a lot of other great books that I have left out, but I almost forgot a big one, The ASC Manual.