2-PERF FOR KONVAS 1M OR 2M??????

Daniel Porto

Is it possible to shoot 2 perf using a konvas 1m? I do not know particularly that much about 2 perf conversion but i was wondering if perhaps someone could design some kind of metal plate that would cover the gate so you could do this. Then you would just lower the frame rate to 12fps???

perhaps there is another way to do it?

let me know

no, not that simple. Ask Olex about this one, if there is a 1 or 2m converted to 2-perf around he may know where to point you. He might even be able to clear up what exactly needs to be done in order for the conversion to work. I'd imagine quite a bit of machining would need to happen, and not just to the movement but mags as well. AND a new gate. I'm sure it's more trouble than its likely worth....

2 perf may present a problem as the Konvas mechanism doesn't use registration pins. You know 2 piece and square front anamorphics for the 1M and 2M are relatively inexpensive as is the anamorphic gate as well as a de-anamorphic viewfinder. a whole anamorphic set-up for a 1M might run you 15 hundred to 2 grand and with the 200 ft and 400 ft mags these cameras use, short ends are cheap (with the Raf camera Kodak core adapters installed on the 200 ft mag, it can only take 175 foot film loads which means you can use the very short , under 200 ft film short ends many people don't want because unlike the quick change Konvas mags, they have to completely re-thread the camera while you just slap in another mag! If it's less in demand, the better price you can negotiate), so if you want shoot 'scope, it might be worth getting the best picture possible for the buck by shooting anamorphic on very short ends at something like 5 cents a foot. Something to think about! B)

no, not that simple. Ask Olex about this one, if there is a 1 or 2m converted to 2-perf around he may know where to point you. He might even be able to clear up what exactly needs to be done in order for the conversion to work. I'd imagine quite a bit of machining would need to happen, and not just to the movement but mags as well. AND a new gate. I'm sure it's more trouble than its likely worth....

yer i thought about it after i posted and realized how difficult it would be much harder. you would have to do something to the motor so it doesn't spin around 24 times in a second. also the mirror in the camera would have to spin twice as fast. new gate aswell

trouble trouble trouble but it would be awesome

• Premium Member

I don't really know much about those commie cams. But, here's what has to change in the film path: The film has to pull down 2 perf instead of the usual 4. There is often a cam that converts rotary motion into reciprocating motion with the pull-down claw. That cam usually has to be replaced. The drive sprocket(s) are what pull the film through to the gate and from the gate. That or those have to run half as fast. If the magazines are geared, they have to run half as fast as well. With Mitchells and Arris, the drive motor has to run at the same speed. It will likely be the same on your commie. With that in mind, it's the gears in between the motor and the film path that have to be altered.

I don't really know much about those commie cams. But, here's what has to change in the film path: The film has to pull down 2 perf instead of the usual 4. There is often a cam that converts rotary motion into reciprocating motion with the pull-down claw. That cam usually has to be replaced. The drive sprocket(s) are what pull the film through to the gate and from the gate. That or those have to run half as fast. If the magazines are geared, they have to run half as fast as well. With Mitchells and Arris, the drive motor has to run at the same speed. It will likely be the same on your commie. With that in mind, it's the gears in between the motor and the film path that have to be altered.

there is a alot of work that would need to be done and would end up costing alot of money. it will cost more money mucking around then i would be saving with film stock and processing etc. i am also told that there will be a problem with telecine as well

• Premium Member

You can convert the Konvas 1M or 2M to 2 perf pulldown. Should run in the neighborhood of $6000 for the conversion only. Anders Banke told me he knew of someone that would do it for less, but you must have 5 Konvi done at a time (anyone else game? I'll do one). I think the best option for a 2 perf MOS camera is a converted Arri IIC. The conversion is many thousands less than the Konvas. BTW, 2 perf telecine is not a big deal, you just have to know who is doing it (I've got names...).

I have to agree with James, for the cost of conversion, either crop the 2 perf frame out of a 4 perf neg or just shoot 'scope to begin with. With short ends as low as a nickel a foot, it would take a lot of shooting to see the savings unless you're shooting a feature or other long form project.

Then again, you can rent my 2 perf Kinor and forget about all the headaches of ownership :rolleyes: .

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com