First Reel

Kyle Bourgoin

Hey,

So I think you a good amount of strong material. However, I think you could cut out some of the weaker footage and get your reel down to a running time of more like 1:30.

First, I would put your title at the start of your reel.

As far as how it's cut, I would not cut back and forth from drastically different looking footage. It happens at the beginning with the BW and Color footage. Ii think you're best off keeping clips from the same project grouped together or relatively close to each other. I would also take out the split screen effect. It becomes distracting when the editing or effects dominate the visuals. The BW transition to color was a bit strange too, unless it was part of the original project I would take it out.

For the most part, all of your BW footage is nice to look at. I would take out the one shot of the girl walking with the briefcase towards the camera. The shot of her walking away from camera would hold without having to cut away. Also there are shots that are clearly not as strong, such as the dolly move with the two guys standing at the tree (the operating is just too shaky). The shot of the guy in sunglasses is not the strongest, so you should definitely not hold on it for 40 seconds. I also don't think the preceding two shots at the bar are strong enough. I think your reel will have a much more positive impact eliminating shots that aren't quite up there with the rest of the shots. You seem to have enough material to make a long enough reel. People's attention spans don't last for more than a minute or two before they start fast forwarding through things.

Anyways I hope this helps, I know there are a lot of cutting notes, but there are some very strong shots and I think if you can detach yourself from your footage you will come to realize how whittling it down will help.

Thanks Tom for taking the time to critique my reel.

You made some really good suggestions, especially about detaching myself from the footage. Think I'll be making a lot of the cuts you suggested, though I still may keep the footage at the bar. As for the the dolly shot you are correct about it being to shaky so I'll take it out, though I did shoot that on a bolex and a move like that is rather difficult while looking through a viewfinder at the angle we were shooting from. ;)

The split screen stuff is apart of the original project and unfortunately I no longer posses the raw footage for that film. Do you think I should just take it out all together?

Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

I loved the black and white stuff, don't like montage stuff at all because that's a director's decision, and as far the bar scene goes:

No offense and I don't know who she is in relation to you, but on camera, when you cut from the guy to her, I thought, "Well, this is not really what I expected to see here."

I'm thinking an attractive actress/model type is coming up, and on camera, that girl just isn't that. It truly was a knee jerk reaction for me that I think will make other viewers think the same thing, that something is wrong here.

Guest Stasch Radwanski
I have just graduated from college and put together my DP Reel. I really would like to know what you guys think of it and whether or not you think it is good enough to use. All constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged.

http://www.vimeo.com/1649018

Thanks Guys!

From Stasch Radwanski DOP.

Hi Kyle I have been a DOP for over 30 years. When making a reel you should try and ask yourself what you want the viewer to get out of it. As you know a reel is mostly used to showcase your skills to GET WORK. From your reel I get a sense of what you are capable of but that is all. You have a great sense of composition and you understand light but you lighting skills need a great deal of work. The term Director of Photography means you have joined an elite club of professionalism... This means you can light in all styles for all mediums from 16mm to HD. You are comfortable with running a huge crew and you are fast and reliable....AND you have a lsit of credits resulting from paid work... This is a DOP. If you are not in this position yet, you are a cameraman. Be proud of the art, be proud of yourself and a be proud to aspire to earn the Director of Photography title. Kind regards, Stasch

From Stasch Radwanski DOP.

Hi Kyle I have been a DOP for over 30 years. When making a reel you should try and ask yourself what you want the viewer to get out of it. As you know a reel is mostly used to showcase your skills to GET WORK. From your reel I get a sense of what you are capable of but that is all. You have a great sense of composition and you understand light but you lighting skills need a great deal of work. The term Director of Photography means you have joined an elite club of professionalism... This means you can light in all styles for all mediums from 16mm to HD. You are comfortable with running a huge crew and you are fast and reliable....AND you have a lsit of credits resulting from paid work... This is a DOP. If you are not in this position yet, you are a cameraman. Be proud of the art, be proud of yourself and a be proud to aspire to earn the Director of Photography title. Kind regards, Stasch

Thank you for the words Stasch. I guess I never really realized about that title being earned until you pointed that out, and you are 100% correct. I almost feel embarrassed having put that title in my reel. Thanks again for speaking to me straight.

And the music is Lovage - Stroker Ace.